I made a quick drum/guitar mix - need feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made a quick drum/guitar mix - need feedback

Sorry for the sloppy playing, this was meant to be a test, all tracks were done in one take.

I need feedback on what I might be doing wrong recording.

There was no post EQ done at all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...82201&c..music

Oh and it's the one titled "Metalcore-ish Mix Clip"

Maybe get the bass drum a little louder, it just sounds like aural sludge. Guitars are okay sounding ... maybe less distortion and a little more mid and a bit more presence in the mix. But that's EQ and you probably know that ...

Other than that, it's quality metal
    Last edited by Szostak; 12-17-2007, 04:42 PM.
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Cool, what did you use to make the drum track?

I'd add a bit of delay on that lead/arpeggio near the end, it would sound killer.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
        Cool, what did you use to make the drum track?

I'd add a bit of delay on that lead/arpeggio near the end, it would sound killer.
        the step sequencer in Fruity Loops. Although I really want to get EZDrummer/dkfh because everything I make in FL just seems too robotic IMO.

And yeah this is far from the finished track. Delay would be cool, now that I think about it

Comment

About sequenced drums, see my post in the "technique" board, thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...t=74920&page=2 (so "page=2" is the same for everyone?? anyway, should be this post to be more precise)

... for a good example of what i mean by ^ , see the short example of first draft of the beginning of an idea for a potentially not too bad tune i posted "WIP - what do you think of the drums?" on this board.

For an -awesome- sequencing program, you might be interested in http://sovietrussia.org/wiki/Schism_Tracker
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I like your guitar tone and style. It needed a little more edge in the mix. If your going to use delay, I'd use just a tad on the solos, I'd boost your solo a bit as well. I'd leave the rythm work dry and bold as possible.

The drums sound is pretty weak and thin sounding. The kicks didn't have much kick at all..and that's important with what you're going for.

But really good guitar tone, playing and writing..me thinks.

Bill Z
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
            X