lend me your ears - VH clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lend me your ears - VH clips

Made a few mods to my brown Randall MTS module... recorded with an RM100, GT75s, and a POS guitar I repainted with VH stripes for extra mojo. Overall volume was maybe a loud conversation. Put reverb hard panned to one side so it had the same vibe, but did not touch the recording otherwise - no eq or chicanery.
    http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/VanHalen2MTS.mp3
    http://members.cox.net/musicfiles/VanHalenMTS.mp3

Whattaya think? And yeah I know, there are some mistakes... I used to be quite the VH nazi, I've calmed down a bit. I do need to relearn some of the stuff from the first albums though!

Pete

Like always, awesome tone and playing Pete. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

1st clip was close. Second clip wasn't.

Not enough compression or tightness.

I liked the tone and the amount of gain on both clips. I just don't think they sound like EVH tone from 1 and 2.

Comment

Bump. I think the VH II clip (beautiful girls) while not played correctly, is pretty freakin' close. I just need to learn the notes.

Oh, and funny thing... both clips were trimmed and cut from the same sound file.

Pete

Comment

Beautiful Girls is damn close, just missing a tiny bit of sizzle, that you could get with some post-production.

Second clip is off the mark, but still sounds good.

Let's put it this way, either one of these tones would be just fine in a live cover situation.

Good work.

Mike
          Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by MBreinin View Post
            Beautiful Girls is damn close, just missing a tiny bit of sizzle, that you could get with some post-production.

Second clip is off the mark, but still sounds good.

Let's put it this way, either one of these tones would be just fine in a live cover situation.

Good work.

Mike
            Thanks Mike. I bet it would sound even closer with you playing it, I just don't have the VH touch like you do, or Bill Z's old guitarist.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
              Thanks Mike. I bet it would sound even closer with you playing it, I just don't have the VH touch like you do, or Bill Z's old guitarist.

Pete
              Shit, Pete, you can wipe the floor with me! I wish I had your talent. I have only posted clips of other dudes playing VH. Yeah, I can get some songs pretty close...but I am no EVH, I can assure you. I am trying to dial in a decent VH tone on this MkIII I just got. Not a great Van Halen amp. It is better for AC/DC than a Marshall though..so I should be able to get it close.

Keep up the good work.

Mike
              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I think the EVHII clip is also close. The EVH isn't quite there; I agree it doesn't seem as tight or something. But still, awesome!

Comment

I think both of them are super close to the VH sound. Good job Pete!
                  Scott

Comment

Nice tone...if not brown...very dark beige.

Comment

Working...
                    X