My Band Just Released our first CD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Band Just Released our first CD!

My band, Sonic Age, has just released a 14 track all original CD.

I make no bones about it; we are mostly a cover band. Where I live as in most areas in the world, people want to go out and dance and party to the songs they know and love, we give them that. The basic idea is this, we would rather play every night to a packed dance floor and tons of people than play all our own music to 5 guys at the bar falling off their stools. With that being said though, we do still write and record and throw a few of our own songs in here and there to promote our CD and let people know that we still are a legitimate band. It's a healthy balance I think and one I and the guys enjoy and are proud of, kind of sets us apart from the other "bar bands" in our area so to speak.

I joined my current band in May 2004, when their original guitar player decided to leave. They had already recorded 5 songs with him but shelved the CD when I came on board. Once we got things back up and rolling along again, we went back and started working on the rest of the songs they had written and added a few new ones as well. We started recording again in Feb 2006 and finished in October 2006, the CD was just released on Jan 18th 2007, 14 all original songs!

A small and quick back story you may find interesting...this band in its current form started in 1993. Back then we were called Psycho Cafe and had moderate local success; we recorded and released an 8 song tape that sold 500 copies in 1994-1995 which I thought was kind of cool. We finally split in '96 and all went about doing our own things. they go back together and formed the band as is now with a different guitar player in 2002, when he left is '04 it was at a time when I was not in a band playing and it just worked out that we got back together. It's been a lot of fun and I am happier than I have been in a long time, plus we finally put out something that we are all very proud of.

So please go take a listen to the title track of the CD and let me know what you think, be honest, brutally honest, I can take it. I welcome any and all feedback on this and eventually I will post other songs, but for now this is the only one we all agreed to post since the CD is so new and we would love ppl to buy it, hell its only $10!

www.myspace.com/gotsonic

For the gear heads, I used a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier thru a Marshall 1960A, straight, no effects or processing. The rhythm tracks were laid down with my RGF SL2H with a screaming demon in the bridge. The solo was recorded with my Root beer SL2GX with the original JB/59 combo in place. I used several different Boogies and cabs throughout the recording and 4 different Jackson’s, including my Bengal SL2H with EMG 81/85 which really smokes on the tracks I used it on. I also ended up recording all my solos with the SL2GX, it just gave me a really nice and pleasing lead tone, plus the intonation was just nuts on, since it’s a sting thru, and just really let me relax and play some of the best stuff I have ever done, in my opinion.

That’s my story, thanks for listeneing and please check out the track and let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance and an extra thank you if you decide to order or download a copy of the CD as well, shameless plug there!

Later!
    - Mike

cool song, I like the composition, but I cant hear the drums. The guitars and bass are almost mushy they are so in my face, and I cant hear the drums. It sounds wrong on my gear (Behringer B2031a monitors, Audiophile 192 card). I want a little more treble, less mids, and more drums, and then it would appeal to my ears more.

Just giving my two cents on the mixing side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
      cool song, I like the composition, but I cant hear the drums. The guitars and bass are almost mushy they are so in my face, and I cant hear the drums. It sounds wrong on my gear (Behringer B2031a monitors, Audiophile 192 card). I want a little more treble, less mids, and more drums, and then it would appeal to my ears more.

Just giving my two cents on the mixing side of things.
      Thanks, its a low quality MP3 so its not quite sonically there...the drums are not so buried as they seem.

Thanks for the feedback though!!

Comment

sounds cool. i like it!
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Nice guitar sound. It rocks

Comment

thanks guys! :-D

Comment

Neat. I've also got Behringer 2031As and agree the drums are a bit low, and the vocals have a bit too much mid. Sounds like paper speakers (the really low end paper speakers )

Guitar and bass tones are great, but the drums and vocals really need better mixing.

As you say, could be the MP3 conversion (I've got one that's truly horrible due to the conversion, but it's neat in it's own way ).

Ah what the heck, I ordered a CD

Who else had a CD for sale? Emmy? Jeri? I got Annah's, but coulda swore someone else had one recently.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

WOW! Thanks NEWC!!!

Let me know when you get it, I think its much better when you listen to the CD than what you hear on the MP3 VIA MySpace. Though I think some of the snare sounds might be a bit buried, over all it came out well and I am proud of it.

Also, anyone who is on MySpace please add us and ME as a friend, I am Mike From Sonic Age.

Later

Mike

Comment

Cool music, dig the voice, and solo rips as well! Though i gotta agree that you can't hear drums fluently. Can't hear the bass drum at all!
                  I love admins!

Comment

Now THAT's party music! Not the emo/screamo-stuff that I can't stand..
                    This music is all about feeling good and having some fun, not "killing myself in the name of love" or something dorky like that..
                    And hey, you've even crammed a kick-ass solo in there!
                    I'd go to a party you guys were playing, hell yeah!
                    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Who else had a CD for sale? Emmy? Jeri? I got Annah's, but coulda swore someone else had one recently.
                      Hey Newc, where can I check out Annahs work? I seem to remember there's a Myspace page out there somewhere..
                      "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Thanks SO much guys - very kind words indeed and I appreciate that! Maybe once NewC gets the CD he can elaborate, it sounds WAY better on the CD, to me we got Bob ROck drums in the mix on the CD, that MP3 doesnt do it justice.

Anyway, thanks again, we try to just write rock n roll songs...its all about having fun and playing music fo rus.

you guys ROCK!!!

Comment

Oh, BTW, NewC your CD went out in todays mail! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X