Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New recording! Pod XT/DKFH Superior and all the usual pish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New recording! Pod XT/DKFH Superior and all the usual pish!

Hey guys,
    I did this today after experimenting making a kick sample by blending the Sneap and the Vinnie Paul kicks, processing with some EQ from Kjærhus Golden EQ.
    I layered 2 tracks with the kick when making the sample, one heavily reverbed, blended in about 10% underneath the unverbed one to get some ambience about the kick but not overpowering it. I can post the sample if anyone likes it!

The actual recording is part of an Amorphis song, Black Winter Day.

I did 4 tracks of pod XT, I used my 2 patches using my big bottom patch and having an on and an off axis track in each speaker.
    Bass was EW-Hardcore bass
    Drums are DKFH superior
    Orchestral is EW-Symphonic orchestra gold!

Guitar was my Jackson KV2 with SD invader bridge pickup.

Right, any comments be they good or bad, let me know!

http://www.celtiaproductions.co.uk/m...kwinterday.mp3

Guitar playing is simple as hell, just wanted to testdrive my kick!

But any opinions on ANY aspect of the mix are very welcome!

Sounds good to me! Great Job!

That songs is cool as hell too! I re-learn it every winter, because I listen to it and play it only in winter time. It's getting cold outside, I guess I know what will I learn to play next .

Comment

Awesome cheers bro!

It's a fantastic song too

Comment

compress the bass a little, and bring the lead guitars out in the mix a little, they sound a little further back. Also add a LITTLE tale to the symphonic instruments so they sound a little more natural. Mess around with some different verbs on your snare as this one makes it almos tsound like a flam. But it all sounds good, just do some tweaks to make it sound uber good

Comment

Yeah
          this sort of metal sound, I like.
          Didn't know POD's sound this good. It's nice and smooth.
          Did you have to mess around alot to get that sort of patch?
          nice one anyway

Comment

Hey guys!

Right, when i record, i'm a firm believer of "Get a good sound" from the start!

So i make my patches sound as close to finished tone as possible.

When recording, i use the pod XT variation of the Frederik Nordström mic technique. He records 2 simultaneous tracks of an ON/OFF Axis SM57 creating a Vshape on the speaker cab.
            I love quadtracking my guitars and so when i record, i do a track of On Axis pod XT Cab/mic sim for both L/R and a track of OFF Axis for both L/R (Pod XT has both on/off axis sm57 in it's A.I.R section).

Once i record my 4 tracks, i bus each one off and compress them a wee bit with kjærhus golden compressor. Bus all 4 guitar tracks back to a stereo bus where i add some convolution reverb about 20% wet signal and just hit the whole signal with a limiter to prevent any obscure peaks.

I VERY RARELY EQ my guitar tracks for 2 reasons>
            1) The tone i made with the pod, bar some reverb/compression is how i want the patch to sound.
            2) I build and scult my mixes round my guitar tones. IF something is clasing, the other insturment gets cut. (Beauty of being a guitarist).

if i DO EQ something, it's a low shelf EQ to remove any rumble or the guitar verison of plosives brought on by heavy palm muting and if itäs a busy mix, a 1.5khz boost of about 1.5gb with a fairy wide Q.

Hope this was of help

Comment

I didn't understand much of what you said but that's just me
              If I get a Podxt live (which I might) I'll ask you to send me your patch(es).
              I've actualy downloaded that clip of yours and am gonna listen to it on my mp3 tomorrow for closer analysis.
              Sounds really good.
              Update:
              I've just listened to it properly. Your rhythm guitar overpowers that lead guitar that you've played. Why don't you bring that lead a bit more forward.

Thanks
              Last edited by ilbianconero; 11-14-2006, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Cool progression and vibe bro..keep bangin' it man!!

you're doin' great!

Bill Z Bub
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

sounded good to meI might record ryth guitars with my pod in future as your tone captured here is realy fitting for this style.Ryth GTR sounds over compressed to my ears and my desktop speakers,but it works anyway

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero View Post
                    I've just listened to it properly. Your rhythm guitar overpowers that lead guitar that you've played. Why don't you bring that lead a bit more forward.

Thanks
                    Because the song was written with vocals over that section (as heard in the original) and it was personal choice to knock them back and blend them in.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
                      Mess around with some different verbs on your snare as this one makes it almos tsound like a flam. But it all sounds good, just do some tweaks to make it sound uber good
                      verb is the last thing the snare needs right now in this context, the biggest mistake wich amateurs do is overusing verbs, and it makes everything muddy, also cheap software verbs aren't transparent so they make the whole mix mushy.

the snare needs some serious compressing and eq'ing and another track of the snare to make a phase cancellation.
                      Last edited by Endrik; 11-15-2006, 05:13 AM.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I agree with some of the previous comments, on my PC speakers here at work, sounds killer!

Comment

Thank you bro

Iäm working on another long distance cover now:

CoB - Downfall

Me on guitars/programming, my canadian bro on vox and my english bro on keyboards!

Comment

Working...
                          X