New 5150 Clip - It's good to be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 5150 Clip - It's good to be back

Did this today - we had a halfday because of state testing, and I felt inspired.

Definately a more mellow feel than a lot of my other stuff, but I can't believe how freaking good this 5150 is sounding. I should have never sold my original one.

http://witheringaway.googlepages.com/5150Doom.mp3

That sounds great!
    what speakers are you playing thru and what are your settings on this?
    I am loving my 5150 combo more and more all the time!
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

V30's, as always! Just a single 57, too. Avatar 2x12.

Settings were gain at 4, bass at 6, mids at 4, treble at 6, volume at 2, resonance at 5, presence at 6-7 (doesn't make a difference I've found).

I was running a Maxon OD808 infront, all knobs pointing to their corresponding corners, tone knob parallel with the drive knob.

Comment

wow I've been on the fence about grabbing an Avatar 4X12 cab with 2 V30's and 2 g12H's but I didn't know if a 5150 would sound good thru it or not.
        is your Avatar cab 2 v30s or one of each (I know Dave likes to do that)
        shit that sounds good
        I'm surprised,the presence on mine make a a huge difference.

Comment

2 V30's \m/

The presence knob didn't do anything on my other 5150 head, either. I think it's made to work more on the combo's and 5150II.

Comment

Updated wif bass!

Comment

I've been having some trouble with Google's server - it won't even let me download my own clip in full!

On soundclick:
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=3866760

Comment

dude, that sounds sick!

makes me miss my 5150

Comment

WEll the overall sound of everything on that clip sounded great..the 5150, the guitar tracks as well as the drums.

My face must be in front of that cab to hear what that amp actually sounds like..

I don't put much merit in sounds clips and recordings...not just yours..everybodys.

good mix ..I must say that, it sounds VERY VERY good!!!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Sounds great. I wouldn't call that mellow though!!

I would like to hear someone use one of these for something not metal. I have always kicked around the idea of getting a combo version for playing Van Halen stuff...but I have always preferred the Marshall era for Ed.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I love 5150 heads..but never liked the combos..besides those fuggers are the heaviest combos in the world to carry..

This is my opinion of course..which means poop to many!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                        I love 5150 heads..but never liked the combos..besides those fuggers are the heaviest combos in the world to carry..

This is my opinion of course..which means poop to many!
                        Well, it really would only get carried from the car into the house, once.

Mike
                        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Wow. Great guitar tone. Outstanding. I may need to break out the 5150.

Comment

Thanks guys!

The way I have it mic'd up, that's the exact tone comming out of the speakers.

I'd record something 'not-metal,' but I honestly don't think I'm capable of it! LOL! Maybe some singing lead stuff I could do, for sure.

I hopefully should be getting some monitors or some more RAM so my DAW won't be as sketchy and I can more accurately mix, but I'll have more clips up in the next month or so - I just haven't really felt insipiried or stumbled across any really rad riffs lately.

Comment

Where'd you place the mic on this?
                              I find with the combo that I have to plave the mic about 8 inches back and close tothe edge of the speaker cabinet or it sounds like sh*t. All mids and treble.
                              Last edited by kmanick; 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X