Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I can't gt a big sound recording HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I can't gt a big sound recording HELP!

I have a 5150 combo and a B52- combo I run in stereo.
    While standing in the room both sound f'n killer together.
    The 5150 is nice and fat and the B-52 is nice and crunchy(much brighter than the 5150 good comination of tones).
    I have them blended volume wise so it sounds like a 4X12 cab instead or 2 2X12 combos.
    I am using Cool edit pro 2000 , an M-Audio Mobile -pre USB interface and 2 SM57 microphones.
    I have tried a bunch of different mike positions but no matter what I do it when I record ,
    it sounds like it's coming in thru a little transistor
    radio. Very "boxy" sounding. I can't seem to get a big rich full sound.
    I have my computer hooked up to my stereo so it's not the
    playback thru shitty little computer speakers that's
    throwing off. I have been running both amps at low to
    moderate volume EX
    (5150 Lead channel
    pre gain 5
    post gain 1 - 1/2-2)
    B-52
    Master dimed
    channel volume 3-4
    do I need to blast my f'n head off to get a good full rich
    ballsy sound ?
    someone who has a clue please chime in and help me out. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

I'm getting really frustrated. I figured with these two
    amps I would be able to record some good fat guitar tones
    at low volumes, but for some reason I just can't seem to
    capture it recorded.
    In the room it sounds great [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I'm figuring it must be Mike position but I've tried a bunch of different positions and still......nada, zip, shit, crap [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: Ok I can\'t gt a big sound recording HELP!

perhaps it's a phase problem, or eq problem:

checklist:
    - mic cable phase
    - speaker phase (both amps and your stereo)
    - your software channel phase settings, panning and eq
    - perhaps your signal is being recorded with eq

Plug your mics into a different recorder and compare the results. Check your recording in mono with headphones to hear any phase problems, your sound will disappear depending on the severity of the phase shift.

Failing that, tell us about your mic position.
    I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

Move the stereo into another room and listen to the mic'd sound live through it (nearly impossible to do, yes, but with a ton of work it can be done).

Better still, pop a tape into the stereo and record straight from the mic to the stereo. If the playback sucks, it's the mic. If it rips, it's the M-Audio thing.

If the M-Audio box has an XLR input, it could be, as rEs said, a phase disorder. If you're going through a line conditioner (XLR to 1/4") then probably not.

It could also be some deeply hidden Windows Audio Environment setting if you've got a Soundblaster card which feeds the stereo (however, if everything else like MP3s and such sounds great normally, then that's not it either).

Definitely need to isolate the individual components.

Does the M-Audio have 2 XLRs or just one?

Of course I suspect the 57s. I've never had great success getting the cabinet tone out of anything through a 57 - not even through a full-blown p.a. for recording playback.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

M-audio is the Mobile pre.
        It has 2 inputs (left and right)
        the stereo sounds fine (actually it sounds great.)

When I record over a backing track and play it back, the
        backing track sounds fine it's the guitar sound that sounds
        little (like in a box).
        I have a feeling it's my mike positioning.
        I have been putting both mikes on the same cab (one on each speaker) I have a feeling I'm getting phase cancellation (they are too close to each other?) and I've been trying one mike on each combo (simultaneaously) but they are right next to each other so I may be getting Phase cancellation that way too? the 2 mikes are probably 2 feet away from each other tops?
        should I try one mike on one amp alone ?
        and mike positioning ? one inch off the the center of the cone about 3 inches back from the grill is how I've been doing it? Ok bad (I'm an Idiot who taught me how to mike an amp? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img])
        C'mon NewC help me out!! [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Nick, get a decent mic preamp.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

what's a good mic pre-amp?

Comment

how much are you willing to pay, the high end ones are really expensive.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Well I did some experimenting last night and I got much better results.
                I only used one mic (on the 5150) and played with some mic
                positions and there must 've been some phase cancellation
                going on between the 2 mics because last night I got a much
                clearer bigger sound.
                I placed the mic at a 60 degree angle about 2 inches back
                from the grill and abour 1 inch off of the cone and I turned the post gain up to between 2-3
                and it sounded much much better.
                All JJ's
                2 low gain JJ's in V4 & V5 (cleans up the amp really nicely and kills alot of the lead channel hiss)
                MXR 10 band EQ in the loop.(really brings it alive and "fattens"
                up the lead channel which I think, on the combo anyway is
                voiced much thinner than the Rhythm channel).

Pre gain 5
                Bass 5
                mids 4
                treble 4
                low res-6
                pres-6
                Using my all maple GMW with a custom 5 in the bridge got me
                a really good XYZ "Inside Out" type of sound.
                I turned the pre gain up to 6 1/2 and killed the presence to 5 and "Satch Boogie" finally sounded "right".
                This amp sounds soooooo good live, I'm psyched I finally got it sounding good recorded.
                Still need to do some more mic placement experimenting but
                much closer now than yesterday. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I'm also wondering if using both mics in the Mobile Pre-Usb
                interface on these 2 amps is just too much signal for it?

AnyHoo thanks for the suggestions guys,
                Endrik can you point me to a link somewhere that shows me mic pre-amps?
                thanks
                Nick

Comment

http://www.ams-neve.com/html/products/1073.php

http://www.presonus.com/products.html

http://www.rupertneve.com/

http://www.brentaverill.com/

Comment

record individule tracks in mono, not stereo. Use a SM57 on track 1 and another SM57 on track 2.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hey Shawn,
                      that's what I did last night. I had been trying to do it in stereo but it was shounding like shit.

Comment

Cool...glad you got it going. I can get a good sound recording in Stereo but is just a litle hard viewing in the edit mode.

I've never had any luck getting exactly what I hear in the room down to each track to disk (or tape) so I go for what will sound best once recorded. When you are close mic'ing like that its not picking up everything in the room so you have play around and experiment with mic positions / eq until you get something you like.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Another thing to consider is putting the cabs in separate corners, facing the wall, with the mic in the corner aimed at the cabinet, then cover the whole thing with blankets. This not only isolates the cabinets from each other, but also the mics don't catch any bleedover from the other cab, which can be the same as phase cancellation.

Better yet, if you've got long enough mic cables, stick one cab & mic setup in a closet in one room and the other setup in another closet, then monitor the results through your stereo/PC outputs.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

NewC you read my mind (sort of ) earlier tonight I separated the amps, (put the B-52 in the Bathroom) and kept
                            the 5150 out in the main room and the sound was much better.
                            There must have been some phase cancellation going on.
                            Saturday my wife is taking our daughter to a birthday party
                            so I'll have a couple of hours to tinker.
                            Hopefully I can lay something down that sounds good enough
                            to post so you guys can hear these 2 amps together,
                            without completely embarrassing myself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X