Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about this stuff?

Hi there.

Those are some of my band's mp3s. first of all, i'm not posting this for the sake of self promotion. i'm more interested in your honest opinions.
    basically, our style is death/thrash, or modern thrash, call it however you want. all those songs were written by our lead guitar player.
    the thing is, we're soon going to start writing new songs for the next album, and this time they want it to more of a band effort so to speak....i.e. they want me and the bass player to write songs. however, imho i'm not really a good thrash songwriter.....i'm much more into groovy death metal stuff, or melodic death metal for that matter. our past albums had both, thrash and death type of songs, often mixed up. i just wonder what other people like better, our groovy stuff or the more thrash oriented songs.

Final Breath - Eyes Of Horror (edit)
    this is from our most recent album, one of only 2 "groovy" or "catchy" songs for that matter. i'm really digging this (although the other song is even better imho [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Final Breath - Bemoaned Animosity
    this is also from our last record, but this time straightforward thrash assault.

Final Breath - Mind Explosion this song is way more death metal. i'm really digging this actually. although it's our easiest song, it's "catchy"...maybe because of the simplicity. so much fun to play live, too [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Final Breath - To Live And To Die (edit)
    no comment...

the two songs marked as "edit" are shortened....i know, this makes it more difficult to say whether they are good songs or not, but it still gets the general point across....maybe i should upload the full versions, as those edits SUCK. especially the last one.

well....as i said, just be so kind and honestly tell me which song you like best, what you don't like about them etc. any input is appreciated

and sorry for the long post....

Re: What do you think about this stuff?

woah...definitely Bemoaned Animosity...that's a great trash/death song right there! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    You have a good guitar sound, good drums sound...and I'm digging the growl! Perfect! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] (vocals are usually the weakest link for this kind of music IMO)
    song writing is tight too, with the different passages and whatnot!

I'd like to hear "eyes of horror" in its entirety...don't wanna judge on only one riff [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

link to "mind explosion" doesn't seem to work...

"to live and to die" has some coolness to it, but it's just put in the shade of bemoaned animosity which is -so- much better on both song and sound...you guys have defintely improved from first to second album, if you keep going like this you can reach as far as you want that's my honest opinion.

keep 'em coming! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks a lot!

actually mind explosion is the second album, and let me be your tank (bemoaned + EoH) is the 3rd one.

fixed the mind explosion link.

and yeah....i'm really digging the singer's voice too. and he's a super cool guy. however, imho he did an even better job in his former band soul demise (melodic death). more dynamic, i think. but then again, this kind of music doesn't really call for dynamics regarding the singing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, great stuff!
        I don't really like the rhythm guitar sound though - it sounds almost fuzzy. I don't know if it's all the distortion that does that? Very impressive playing though!

I like "Eyes of Horror" the best myself, since it's so varied. "To Live and to Die" also sounds really interesting, but the clip is a little too short to make a good call. I didn't like the other two as much, because they're more monotonous somehow. Not to say that they are bad in any way - just not as good as those I mentioned. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, the link for "Mind Explosion" is misspelled, so it doesn't work. Here's a working link:
        http://www.final-breath.de/downloads...osion_high.mp3

Comment

well, i really prefer the mind explosion sound over the lmbyt one. you're right, it's a bit fuzzy and sounds overgained although it's NOT.

the reason why i think i can state my opinion like this is that i joined this band only 7 months ago, so i didn't record or write anything (yet). in the past, all guitars were done by our lead guitar player, the former rhythm guy only played well...rhythm [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] live.

Comment

mind explosion is a cool song, but I prefer the more intricate riffing of bemoaned animosity and I didn't dig the snare drum sound on ME! I liked the raw sound of BA, probably because of the whole "beneath the remains" vibe... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I tend to agree with sunbane on the distortion though, when you're playing the "tight" riffs they would probably sound even tighter on the record (more pronounced palm-muting) if you back off the gain/compressor just a notch...you can compensate using double tracks if needed!

edit: care to tell us more about the gear used for recording? I thought I spotted a Fireball and a Rectifier in one of those live photos on your website!

seems like you're building a rep in Germany there, great stuff! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude Great stuff bro..hey you wanna trade drummers..

why do all European drummers have "meter"...Godammit!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's to keeping metal alive bro.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

This stuff is very cool except for one thing - I really don't like this style of vocal. You guys are very tight - the guitars are locked with the drums VERY well.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Holy crap man, I love this stuff! As much as I love other genre's of metal and music, thrash is definatly my favorite, and ya'll pull it off very well [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Gonna give a better listen tomorrow, just kinda listened to em in passing so far, but great job!

Comment

Fucking badass, man. Bemoaned Animosity reminds me a lot of Kreator in a way...and that's definitely a good thing.

And I personally quite like the guitar tone. It sounds ridiculously gainy, at just the right point before it'd start sounding crappy. Quite awesome.

Comment

mh....well, i already posted the gear they used on steve smyth's forum, so i guess posting it here won't make any difference.

mind explosion was 4 tracks, 2 left 2 right. on each side, there was one track of a marshall valvestate 8100 head and a sansamp psa1 each. the snare does indeed sound crappy - in fact, our drummer used that snare until like 3 months ago....finally he has a good sound [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] seriously, that thing was all treble and metal-like resonance.

let me be your tank was also 4 tracks like above, but they used a rectifier instead of the valvestate. iirc it was like 70% rectifier 30% sansamp per side. it's definitely not as gainy as it sounds. jörg (lead guitar) is using very little gain for rhythm, live and in the studio. i think the reason why it sounds a bit fuzzy is the sansamp. i HATE that thing for professional recordings.

guitar wise, it's the esp m II with emg 81s he's been using forever. strings are 10-46 d'addario, .73 dunlop nylon picks. sloppy crap [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

live, he's using a marshall tsl100 head. the former rhythm guy used to use the lead players valvestate (the one that was used for mind explosion), whereas i TEND to use my jcm800 marshall....but as you know, i'm always switching, from mesa dual calibers, to an engl blackmore, etc....

well....and last but not least, thanks for the kind words.
                      i've been working on some song ideas, but i haven't showed them to the other guys yet. maybe i should record some of those ideas (just guitars, though...no drums/voc/bass) and post them here.
                      i personally would really like to build more on the mind explosion type of stuff (if anyone could host an mp3 i could post one of the more "heavy" songs i'm talking about...my provider doesn't allow me to upload more than 1mb at a time) rather than the more thrashy lmbyt songs, mostly because i can't really come up with cool single note riffs. for me it's all about chording similar to the mind explosion bridge, or eyes of horror in general.

Comment

Working...
                      X