Dream Theatre As I Am solo (Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dream Theatre As I Am solo (Video)

Great picking (and pickup switching [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) technique dude!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

well played, I've never been a fan of Petrucci because IMO he needs more balls and attitude in his lead playing but I love his rhythm playing and tone. As I Am solo is defeinetly more Zakk Wylde-ish and whatnot than john's usual jazzy leads.
      But John has his OWN thing and is one of the greats unlike those lame bands like In Flames and Soilwork whos biggest archivements are ripping-off Iron Maiden's dual harmony leads wich has done million times.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

That's the shame of releasing pure musical genius, all your future work will be put next to it and slayed viciously in the eyes of stale people (read: who don't evolve OR don't accept a musician evolving).

The list is endless:

Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Dream Theater, PF,...

The solo fits the song perfectly and John's improv spots during the recent live shows show just what a good player he is, he's far beyond just shred.

That being said, I agree with Endrik, John can play a MEAN motherfucking lead, but he truly shines in his rhythm playing!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

TOT is the only DT album I really like,and I thought you nailed that solo.
          Whether you like Petrcucci or not, he's not easy to emulate and I thought you played that really well. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          It's funny to me how people are really all over the place when it comes to Petruccci.
          He's not really my style but I like him, he's better when he jams out like he did at G3 a few years ago.
          That set was incredible and showed off his range of abilities much better than DT does [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
          Nice Job!
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Any ideas as to what guitar i am playing>? Cause im still in the dark
            www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Some more info or pics would facilitate the IDing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Liquid Tension Experiment is the place to go to really see just how good Petrucci is. Both of those cds (LTE 2 particularly) are absolutely brilliant. I've been trying for ages to learn Universal Mind and its just wickedly hard [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, I found Petrucci particularly shone on Explorer's Club Age Of Impact. He just let's loose on there, very loose, free and jammy. It shows how good a player he really is, and because Labrie and others also appeared on the album, it's like DT's members, but with a whole different musical experience behind them.

It's like LTE, but just a step further even. I agree with you though the LTE's are excellent, excellent albums.

Petrucci's best work is still on I&W en Awake for me though, I&W especially, what did the man NOT showcase on that album? Perfection, imho.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Petrucci's best work is still on I&W en Awake for me though, I&W especially, what did the man NOT showcase on that album? Perfection, imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

> I say to hell with that,+8. As far as I'm concerned,Petrucci is THE MAN. My personal favorite cd of theirs is Scenes,as far as top to bottom. The amazing thing to me about this cd,is the fact that every time I listen to it all the way through,I hear something new,which is very rare. I've raved about this band to practically everyone I know,most dismiss it as annoying and repetitive,and too complicated. Considering MOST of my friends are not musicians,and want to hear words that rhyme,I dismiss this as bullshit. Of all the live solos I've heard in my 28 years around music in general and 20 being involved with our instrument,his solo on OIALT,with Flight at the end,is the one I'd be proudest to play. If this band ever breaks up,I'll probably never buy another cd. The playing in this video is a joy to watch,and you should be as proud as Ramon,the Cuban guy that rides in the back of the BangBus. I have no idea what axe that is,but I suspect a stripped down Dinky or a korina Custom Shop. Either way,I'll flip ya a coin or arm wrestle ya for it,LOL. Tommy D.
                      "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Im trying to get a camera so i can ship out some pics........its a charvel....ill hopefully have some picks within the week...thanks everyone!
                        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Damn. Just damn.

Comment

Looks like a Charvel Model A to me. And that was some seriously kick ass playing!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X