Possibly heading in a new direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly heading in a new direction

Ok, I've been listening to a double-disc that Les Paul and Chet Atkins did about 20 years ago, and I've learned a few tricks - like playing with compression, and without distortion [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://autumn-frost.com/mp3/Heart_Of_Fire_128.mp3
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Possibly heading in a new direction

<font color="aqua">good stuff, Matt, kinda brings me back to the Dark Side of the Moon-ish days----- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

It's odd you should mention that - I thought it had a kind of "Breathe" or "Time" feel to it as well, and keep thinking I should add some sort of Phasered section to the rhythm in some places [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Very nice stuff Newc! That was tasty indeed. It's nice when someone can show you another side to themselves and help inspire someone else (maybe even me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) to try something different. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

That was nice Newc. Very relaxing. You can just close your eyes enjoy it. Awesome.

Comment

Wow man, I loved that!

If you could 'up' the quality of recording there, so you get the tones to sparkling and a good production, you could release an album of that stuff! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Just listened to this again, I'm contemplating steering clear of metal and heading into this territory! That clip just moved something inside of me, the tone, the playing, the atmosphere, just WOW, friggin', WOW, Matt! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Please give me the low-down on your gear, settings etc, because that's the kind of clean/fusiony sound I'd die for, when I'm upto scratch of playing it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Thanks all [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I'm working on making the drums more "interesting" without being overly active, since they're kinda sparse. But then I don't want it to sound like "counting", y'know?

Anyhoo, I don't suppose using a Duncan Distortion and JB with an ADA MP-1 providing Compressed Clean tones is the best way to go tonewise given the clippage [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              But then, it does have a distinct and un-cliche tone - not really Les Paul, not really Strat, but kinda both.
              I dunno, it's a new thing for me so I'm trying not to look at it from my traditional perspective and preconceived notions regarding this sort of "thing" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And may as well do a Gear Used List:
              -Guitar - JacksonStars NASL with Duncan Distortion Bridge and JB Neck
              -Preamp - ADA MP-1 into Digitech TSR-12
              -Bass - Jackson Professional Concert V with stock Jackson pickups (P/J) and JE2000 board (run into the ADA/TSR)
              -Drums - A simple Stock Kit patch from an Alesis QSR (Didn't want the Metal Power Ballad kit with the thunderous snare and kick [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) controlled via MIDI through and composed in Guitar Pro 3

Recorded straight to the PC one track at a time in CoolEdit2000 for ease of post-editing.

Comment

Yeah, you're right on on the tone there, it possesses this quality I can't quite grasp, it's got the shimmer of a strat and the warmth of a Paul. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Man I've been gassing more and more after an ADA MP-1, after hearing this, it's major GAS.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] looks like you were editing while I was posting that one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, the specific patch settings in the MP-1 are:

OD1: 4.4
                  OD2: 10
                  Master Gain: 9
                  Bass: -2
                  Mid: 8
                  Treble: -2
                  Presence: 8
                  No Chorus
                  Voicing: Solid State
                  Output Level (front knob): 50% (12 o'clock)

No EQ used on the Akai DPS12 (used as a Mixer/buffer into the PC) but I am taking up 2 channels panned hard L/R.

The ADA provides the majority of the guitar sound (Compression, main EQ shaping). The effect patch on the TSR12 is really barely noticeable beyond the reverb. The Parametric EQ is set to 650Hz for the Low End (+7dB at 1 Octave), 1600Hz for the Middle (+7 at 1/2 Octave), and 8k for the Highs (+6 at 1 Octave).
                  That last bit may not mean anything if you don't have a TSR12 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (Spot on about the TSR12 thing)

Gonna keep those MP-1 settings saved in a txt file! Thanks muchos, Matt! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice job! I liked it.

Comment

Thanks khabib [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

One more note: The JB (in the neck) was split for the rhythm (and some of the lead I think)

Comment

Very cool. Does have a cool Floyd thing going on, and a little bit of Opeth... now you just gotta kick in the real heavy parts and the Cookie Monster vocals. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It's currently under revision - hopefully I'll get it done tonight [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Version 2

Ok, updated version with more activity in the drums, some extra Pink Floydy stuff, distortion, and a slightly busier bass line.

http://autumn-frost.com/mp3/Heart_Of_Fire2-128.mp3

Doesn't have the simplicity of the first one, but I guess it's ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X