Symphony of Destruction/Megadeth solo clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Symphony of Destruction/Megadeth solo clip

Symphony of Destruction solo. My band decided last weekend to do this song, so we ran through it once - I didn't know any of it but the F-E-E riff. Since we're a three piece, generally we'll go over a song one time even if we don't have all the parts just to see if it sounds like crap or not, and if it sounds ok then our parts get sharpened up.

Well... fast forward to late this week, the drummer sends us set lists for tonight... Symphony is on there. DOH! I had stuff going on, so I didn't really get a chance to learn it until last night, and didn't have that much time either because I had to restring and check intonation on guitars. I found a crappy backing and recorded myself playing the song so I could listen to it and see what worked and what didn't.

Here's the solo section - Peavey Wolfgang Special FM USA into a Pod XT.

www.mothrastewart.com/newaudio/symphonysolo.mp3

I *know* it's not note for note, but I tried to hit a few of the highlights. I'll go back later and learn it for real, but I think it'll work for a bar band version. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Symphony of Destruction/Megadeth solo clip

Sounds great Pete, fast and clean. If I was watching you guys play that song, I'd be drinking my beer and pumping my fist. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It should go over fine.

Comment

dude, close enough I wouldn't worry about it at all.
      that sounds better than the guy Mustaine has out on tour with him. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Sounds great Pete, fast and clean. If I was watching you guys play that song, I'd be drinking my beer and pumping my fist. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] It should go over fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man! It's in the 3rd set, and someone else is driving... so hopefully I won't be too socially lubricated to play it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          dude, close enough I wouldn't worry about it at all.
          that sounds better than the guy Mustaine has out on tour with him. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'd go that far but thanks for the kind words. 99% of the thing is little two string rakes put together. Once I started doing it like that, it came together for me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Plenty good enough for Joe Barstool, Pete!
            Have fun with it!!

Comment

I think it will o over fine Pete, sounds pretty cool to me. I can't recall the songs solo enough to tell if its close or not but who cares...go for it.

The first cover band I was ever in I knew maybe 6-7 solo's note for note. I was only playing short while and they had gigs booked, my only guideline for the ones i didnt know was to start the solo on time and end it in time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] even being a young inexperienced guitar player, that freedom to do whatever I wanted in that span was a great lesson for me. I could improvise on the spot people either said it was good or knew no better [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Damn it Pete!! Ever time I listen to your stuff it just makes me wanna throw my guitar out the window and enroll in a tap dancing class..

Comment

Pete, i think that will pass just fine. The solo sounded great, and who cares if it's not "note for note?"

Comment

as Marty Friedman used to say, fans pay to hear music as its recorded on the album, so if you have a cool solo then you should play it like the record live as thats what people want to hear [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But for a COVERS band, who cares, as long as it fits and is done well!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice. Where do you get your backing tracks? Or do you make them? Still using the XT live? I'm actually recording some riffs before I forget them today with it.

Anyway, it sounded good.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It went over pretty well, at least for the 6 people that were still there during the 3rd set. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Deneb - that was the XT Live. backing track was from the backing track forum I think... it's pretty sucky (converted midi) but it was ok for working up the guitar parts.

Pete

Comment

That was plenty good enough, the only change I would have made and its a small one (and you may have done it anyways) is to end with the pinch harmonic just like Marty (or did Dave do that solo?) does. Very clean playing as always Pete [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

My head would be rockin' for sure. It'll be fine.

deneb...

http://www.guitarbt.com/
                            http://www.vhfans.com/vb/

Comment

Working...
                            X