first mesa dual recto rackhead clips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first mesa dual recto rackhead clips

did two takes on the solo for flying in a blue dream. Same mic position (SM57) into a Korg D1600, then I burned the tracks to CD and imported them into my PC. Used my PC to line them up and then set levels w/cool edit pro. No tweakage of the guitar tracks at all.

http://www/mothrastewart.com/audio/r...angeflying.mp3

this one is the orange channel. Gain maxed, channel volume at about 2, all eq set to straight up middle. Cabinet mic'd was an ADA splitstack 2x12. I changed to the neck pickup for an ascending lick about 1/2 way or so through that is all picked - you should be able to hear it pretty clearly, the way the attack is rounded off. Amp had 6L6 JJs, spongy and tube rectification.

http://www/mothrastewart.com/audio/recto/redflying.mp3

This one is same amp settings (eq and gain/volume) but a tiny bit less channel volume and bold/solid state rectifier. Same cab and SM57 and mic position.

I know the guitar is a bit loud, but I wanted to hear it better over the mix. I wasn't going for a note by note rendition (obviously) but kept the flavor so to speak.

Tonal comments? BTW, I was NOT trying to get a satriani tone - just picked that backing because I'm familiar with the song and could first take both solos with no worries, clams be damned. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: first mesa dual recto rackhead clips

Bad links - ya slashed when ya shoulda dotted. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Red channel sounds great - not too impressed with the orange. The orange was lacking... something.

Oh - Playing was great, as usual.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Doh! Thanks Ron...

http://www.mothrastewart.com/audio/r...angeflying.mp3

http://www.mothrastewart.com/audio/recto/redflying.mp3

The orange channel sounds better in person, but the red seems to cut better for recording. At least until I remember how to mic a cab... owning that Pod XT has spoiled me forever I think.

Pete

Comment

Evry time I had a dual channel Recto, I lived on the orange channel, making the red channel somewhat useless to me.

Sounds like a good-un Pete!

Comment

Thanks Chuck. I'm still relearning how to mic a cab [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The red channel is so much angrier, and the orange has such a chewy dynamic going on.

Pete

Comment

Red Channel I think is alot better tonally, however the orange channel is very warm. So both have good characteristics. But I think red channel is just so much better for shredding, it can get a bit thin though. Great playing as always Pete.

Comment

the Red sounds better on these clips, at least for that type for satch song . I like the in your face clarity of the Orange channel. Nice playing on both of them though..
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I like the red. However, the orange was warmer and I think that if they weren't recorded so dry, my opinion may change. I would love to hear some delay or echo put on the lead.

As always, great playing.

Mike
                Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Heard 'em on the Harmony Central forum... Both sound good to my ears.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah, I crosspost... some of the HC folk wouldn't be caught dead here, and vice versa. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pete

Comment

Count me in for the red. Sounds great Pete.

Comment

It's been my experience, that at least for me, my amp sounds better with the gain NOT maxed. Your clips sounded pretty good. I favor the red channel.

Comment

I like the orange channel better although they both sound good. Great playing as always Pete.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            It's been my experience, that at least for me, my amp sounds better with the gain NOT maxed. Your clips sounded pretty good. I favor the red channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. However, with as low volume as I was recording, it wasn't really an option if I wanted to be able to have controllable feedback.

pete

Comment

Very cool. I liked the red channel a little bit more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X