Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG-85 vs EMG-58

Hey all,

I finally got hold of both an EMG-85 and an EMG-58 with the quick-connect cables! So, I thought it would be a good idea to compare them "head to head", in the same guitar.

My conclusion is that the 58 is very differently voiced than its successor, the 85. It has more high-end "sparkle", which makes it really sweet sounding for cleans. It also feels a bit more mushy - when hitting the distorted patch, it doesn't have quite the same tightness as the 85 and 81. It also appears to have a little less output than the 85 - you can hear the 85 distorting the clean patch, while the 58 doesn't. In addition to that, it is also a bit noisier than the 85 (like EMG says). You can hear a bit of background hum at the start of the 58 dist sample.

So, I will keep using the 58 as a neck pickup - it's awesome for leads and cleans! The 85 was born to play rhythm, so it stays in the bridge position. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guitar: Charvel Model 6.
    Preamp: Zoom Player 2020, Digital Guitar Effects Processor.
    * Clean Patch has some compressor, chorus and reverb.
    * Distorted patch has Distortion, Compressor, Reverb and Delay.
    * Recorded directly into the computer from the headphone jack.

The 58 samples seem a bit flat. Oops! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Also - please excuse the crappy playing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EMG-58, bridge, clean
    EMG-85, bridge, clean
    EMG-58, bridge, distortion
    EMG-85, bridge, distortion

You can access the directory here:
    http://www.joghans.se/images/EMGsounds/

Re: EMG-85 vs EMG-58

FANTASTIC! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I've always been curious about the EMG-58 ever since I tried the EMG-85.

Will we get to hear neck position comparisons (clean and distorted) as well? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Those sound awesome. I personally prefer the 85 in both clips. My new soloist will have an 85 in the bridge (81 neck), and if it sounds like that, that is great! Much more low end than any 81 I've ever heard. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I have a tone test of an EMG 81 in different woods. (not by myself)
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

You should post that test to drive passive purists crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I will upload it now, hang on.

I do remember it being in different tunings, etc, so that is kind of a quirky thing to do when comparing tonality, but meh it's something.

-----------------

Here they are, these were recorded by Joe from sadbutrueband.com

Alder
          Mahogany
          Maple

Comment

Cool. The 58 was made to be like a P-90 single coil sound, so that's why it's a little noisy. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Definitely keep it as a neck pup.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The alder and mahogany clips are in the same tuning, but it sounds like the maple tuning is a whole step lower.

Hmmm, not impressed with those EMG-81 clips. I know the EMG-81 is a tight pickup (I've used one before), but it's tight to the point of being narrow sounding. Who knows how Metallica and Zakk Wylde make it sound wide and lively in the bridge position... and don't say "studio magic". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I think it's more of an amp thing in that case. If you can find the right complementary settings on your amp for an 81, I'm sure it can sound awesome. It's not a pick-up for me, though, I agree with you. I think an 81 is narrow, trebley and a bit nasal sometimes. 85 has more punch, imho. Can't wait to play an 85 myself.

Comment

Hey, I'm happy you guys appreciate it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                  Will we get to hear neck position comparisons (clean and distorted) as well? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Hmm...possibly. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                  I'd have to switch guitars for that though, since my Model 6 doesn't have a neck humbucker slot...yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I'd have to do it with my old Vantage, my "bad mojo guitar". [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I also have a couple of quick-connect 81's sitting in their boxes. I used one of them in the neck position in the Vantage, but tore it out pretty quickly. I just can't stand those pickups anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] I may get it back out again if I do another comparison though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I will upload it now, hang on.

I do remember it being in different tunings, etc, so that is kind of a quirky thing to do when comparing tonality, but meh it's something.

-----------------

Here they are, these were recorded by Joe from sadbutrueband.com

Alder
                    Mahogany
                    Maple

[/ QUOTE ]
                    Hey, thanks for posting that! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                    *saves*

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot that the Model 6 has single coils. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Oops. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] When I saw that you mentioned you'd be using the EMG-85 in the bridge and the EMG-58 in the neck, I subconsciously thought you were using them in the same guitar, and that the Model 6 was dual-hum. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The 58 sounded brighter and really good but the 85 had a lil' more clarity.
                        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

They sound the same to me [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            They sound the same to me [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Maybe a checkup at the ear doctor's would be in order? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                            Just kidding, bro! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The difference is big enough for me to choose one over the other, but different strokes for different folks and all that... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The 81 sounded pretty good in the Mahogany, my favorite body wood. The 85 just sounds great bro!! I love the heavy low/mids going on. I have an 81 ordered with my new all mahogany Soloist coming in months, because I am curious what it will sound like in that setup, if it sucks, I have a new 85 in a box waiting to go in. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X