Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you write your music?

Hi all!

I've come to a point where I want to start writting my own music, but I dont think I have any lack of knowledge (maybe for harmony, but thats another thing) but I'd like to know by what you start in order when you are making a song.

Also is my basic knowledge wrong about making music:

First, you have your backing progression A A# G A (one measure each)

So as the lead guitarist you start the first measure with a lick in any modes or style you want, but as long as its the tonality of A, then in A# and so on?

Is that it?

If I am wrong, enlighten me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: How do you write your music?

well, first of all, a# doesn't exist [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] it's Bb
    anyways, the progression you named would be in G minor (or actually A locrian, but forget that for a second)

also, normally you would stay in on tonality all the time, and not switch with every chord change.

for example, if you have a basic metal rhythm like E E G F# E etc you would solo over that in e minor (in the most basic form...you can go crazy with modal playing if you want)

but, don't forget: if it sounds good, it IS good. don't worry about theory or rules or whatever. play what you feel and what sounds best to you, and you're on your way. just think about death: chuck used to know jack about theory and scales etc.....he always played what he heared in his head. do the same. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

greets
    fragle

Comment

Jazz proved that you can indeed play lead lines in any key or mode over any backing progression in any key or mode.

Although personally I can't stand that type of Jazz [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But it's your music - if you want everything to be in a different key or mode, do it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm fighting the same problem as you, I don't want to get a steve vai sense of theory, just a good dose of understanding is all I ask for. But everytime I ask some one they either tell me to use your ears (which suck) or go through a lecture that really does nothing but confuse me even more. So I guess I have no answer's for ya. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I usually start off with a riff. just try to flow and not worry that you need to stay in a key or do this or that.

I right most of my material with TABIT, it has midi for bass/guitar/drums and other stuff to make a song up and hear it all together instead of hearing it in your head, or playing with other people.

Comment

I write my music the old fashioned way. I get good and stoned and turn my amp way the fuck up and start tearing it to fuckin' pieces. When I come up with a riff that totally kicks my ass, I go back over it again and again and try and remember it. If I don't think I'll remember it I'll either record it or tab it out.

Also at practice we will just go off on a jam for like 15 minutes and if there is something good in there we try and remember it and keep it. Otherwise it just disappears into the ether, a soul sacrifice to the gods of unholy grinding metal!!

Music is neither a competition to be won, nor a math problem to be solved. Music comes from your soul. I have NEVER written a song in a certain "key". I could if I wanted to, I have a working knowledge of music theory and plenty of books on the subject, but the true art of music does not lie on paper. It lives in your soul and comes out through your fingers and amp and it affects those around you.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I guess im trying to solve music as a math problem.

You know, music is like nothing, you set the rules and I was a bit away from that because each time I was examinating any lead or shred I couldnt "solve" it or understand why "non proper" notes were used.

Thx, gonna write some stuff on Powertab.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Music is neither a competition to be won, nor a math problem to be solved. Music comes from your soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly agree, Ace. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

You certainly can follow formulaic suggestions, write by theory, stay in a key... that kind of thing. People do and are successful. But in my opinion that is a narrowminded approach. To me that is like saying I can only paint in primary colors with certain brushes on certain canvases, but I cannot mix it up or do something entirely different.
                Having my music dictated to me like that would make me throw my guitars out the window and never look back.
                Having a grasp of theory will certainly help one in their understanding of music and composition, but it won't give life to your music, that is entirely up to you and can only be found inside of you.

-Emmy

Comment

Yep, what Em said [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

It depends on the style of music. If you're writing something mainstream, you're likely going to stay in a key for most of the song, possibly with a modulation here and there. Sure it's formulaic, but that's the hallmark of mainstream music.

Some metal is going to have some dissonance and such... But to say that you should avoid keys and just 'do it from the gut always' is as ignorant as saying that you should always stick to a key. I'd bet that most songs no matter how 'gut driven' have somewhere lurking in the progression at least a V chord and generally a IV.

Nice thing about knowing theory is that you can actually identify and retain things, instead of having to do it all by trial and error/gut work. Not saying either approach is 100% right, but you'll save time and be more prolific if you follow your heart and know some theory. It's a good thing to not be painted in any corner.

Pete

Comment

Personally I often get inspired by other's music and go from there. Many times I fool around with a guitar and come up with riffs. Then I keep playing and making minor changes to them. If the main riff is a good one I get a kick to write some chord progressions for bridge/chorus. Interlude stuff is usually the hardest to come up with for me. I try to save a lot of arpeggio and lead ideas so I can use them when a song calls for that kind of stuff. Great example of that in my case would be the song "Long Lost Treasure". It started out as an Arabic sounding riff song but then I added some classical arpeggios and an interlude section to it and it took the whole song into a different direction. You can find a link to that song here:
                      http://ca.regionline.fi/unitar/guitarpalace
                      There is also a punch of other stuff.

I think theory often supports song writing. I don't know that much but I know which scales and chord progressions sound "evil" or "egyptian" or "classical" etc. and it helps to know those rules when a song calls for those moods. I'm currently working on a song "Last Train To Transylvania" and it keeps bouncing from one mode to another but it still makes sense or at least I like to think so. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My band here -> http://www.diceoffate.com/

Comment

my tunes used to just roll right out of me, like a tap on a kitchen sink. i can write tunes riff wise in a snap, and i can write lyrics even snappier than the riffs, but i was never good at putting them together. i always needed my mick jagger to help out combining the two.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

sometimes i'll just start singing a riff or progression in my head, then i'll find it on the fretboard. more often though it comes from having a guitar in my hands, thrashing around. as far as theory goes i know enough to get by. i don't want to become a slave to theory either and rely on what sounds cool [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], dark [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img], pissed off [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img], or when playing cleanly, sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]! you have to learn how to use your imagination when constructing your own material, that way it can become truly "original". i do my best work when i'm really pissed off or upset...gotta go [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] i feel a hate swell comin' on...
                          Hear the universe scream
                          Bleeding from black holes
                          Whom horns careless
                          And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            well, first of all, a# doesn't exist [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] it's Bb

[/ QUOTE ]

A# does exist in the key of B major it is the seventh note of the B major scale or the "leading note" if you want to give it it's technical name. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

A# is Bb depending on the direction of travel - ascending, it's A#, descending, it's Bb.
                              But then since the Catholic Church (in their infinite arrogance and superstition) banned the use of Bb centuries ago (calling it "The Devil In Music"), savvy composers decided to note it as A# to confound the ignorant [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But I gave up on learning music theory when I ran across a sheet that had E#.
                              There is no E#, it's F. I don't care what scale or mode you can produce, there is no note between E and F to be named sharp or flat of either one.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X