Easy recording methods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy recording methods.

I have a question about the easiest way to record guitars. I have a handle on drums and stuff, I just can't find an easier way to record guitars than to haul all my gear into the computer room, set up the mic, position in correctly, and re adjust it when it gets moved... it is a pain. I am curious as to what everyone thinks is the easiest way to record guitars onto the computer.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: Easy recording methods.

POD, VAMP, etc etc.

Or if you have a multi-track unit, record everything to that and dump the tracks off to the computer.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I had the same delima a few years ago. I ended up consolidating rooms, I turned my office into my studio and got rid of a lot of stuff. I bought one of those recording/studio console desks that have 19 inch racks on each side and multi levels of space. I hung all my guitars on the walls to free up floor space. Cool room now, I can work for work but primarily its a music room / home studio with a DSL connection [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Modelers are great for quick ideas and PC recording but to me they got stale after a while (I have a J-Station) and am now I'm going SM57 infront of tube amps [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Nothing beats the real think I don't care many Vetta owners say otherwise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn Lutz- What kind of equipment do you use to record other than the SM57?

Comment

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 2. I just got the 3 version and haven't really tried it out as of yet. I record to a PC and have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 audio card. I use an ART Studio V3 tube mic pre-amp. I have Marshall and Mesa amps. I'm just now getting back into using real stuff sans the Modeler.

Amp-->SM57--->ART Tube Mic preamp--->M-Audio 2496 card

http://shawnlutz.com/recording.htm
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

What is the pre amp used for? Recording is still fairly new to me, and while I have a fairly good idea what it is used for, I am not exactly sure. I believe you plug the mic into it, which acts as a "filter" of sorts, and you run the preamp into the pc. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah the tube preamp helps the mic.

And I still say it's all in the EQ. You can dupe any tube amp tone in the world with a good EQ. While some may prefer the sound of a raging tube amp in front of them, that's not always possible.

Put the amp in a soundproof box (and I mean TOTALLY soundproof, not just muffled) and use your PC speakers as a monitor. Sounds just like a modeller, don't it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

We recorded a bunch of tracks very easily using Marshall tube Amps - SM57 - Mixer - adat - Apple Soundtrack (software) and it turned out relatively good/clean for a bunch of recording amateurs. All was played live then mixed using Soundtrack. The adat was a serious $$$ piece of equipment borrowed from a local radio station.
                We have 2 guitars so we put the amps / cabs facing slightly away from each other and seperated them with a piece of plywood.
                I posted links in the MP3 section if you want to give it a listen.
                The vocals are the harded thing to capture, can't seem to get them right. A lot of it is in the post production part (compression / effects settings) which is where we are lacking.
                The bass turned out as the cleanest track?!
                We done this for fun but also has been a great practice / learning experience before we blow all our loot in the studio.
                Maybe it doesn't sound easy but depends on what you are going for.
                So as far as your question about easy recording methods, it seems like you dont want to haul your equipment around so modelling seems to be what youre getting at. Which has already been mentioned. It's just something I'm not interested in really. If you want to just lay down some tracks and shred, modelling/computer software is the way to go.

Comment

Hey guys, how is the Fostex MR-8, it's an 8-Track Digital Recorder that you can send your files to via USB??? I might be wanting to buy one soon...

Comment

I have and use Fostex MR-8. It's just OK. Yes you can record to its' 128M CF card (I upped to 512M) and USB it off to your PC easily. The inputs peak at way to low volume, so you have to boost all the WAVs you create. The guitar "effects" are hilarious. I bought a POD Pro. Didn't record well when the band jammed live either. I would not buy it again. Bought for $299 at GC.

Comment

I also own an MR-8...it's very nice, but it's an amateur tool...no eq, no 24bit, unusable effects...it's a very useful and portable scratchpad, nonetheless!

Comment

I record everything on my PC through my V-amp2 ..just Guitar>vamp>ntrack on PC....it may not be the best setup out there but for the money and hassle factor for general PC recording it is very user friendly (and quick) and I can get it to sound Pretty ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (well I think so :o )

Wolf

Comment

Working...
                        X