Guitar Wanketry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Wanketry.

Kind of getting back into some shreddy shit, but my main focus has been blues licks and what not. Lets see if you guys can guess some of the passages I threw in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJueu42SgtI
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Nice playing from a technical perspective and you've really nailed sweep picking. If you want to get a real bluesy sound you should build arps with major thirds. The major third on the I and V chords are non-scalar in the dorian mode and create a lot great tension. You can also experiment with dominant 7th chords as substitutions and for creating arps. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Trussrod; 03-02-2010, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
      Nice playing from a technical perspective and you've really nailed sweep picking. If you want to get a real bluesy sound you should build arps with major thirds. The major third on the I and V chords are non-scalar in the dorian mode and create a lot great tension. You can also experiment with dominant 7th chords as substitutions and for creating arps. Hope this helps.
      That's something I never got into, but probably should. I kind of view arps differently then most cats. If I ever play "outside" arps (non 1-3-5), I kind of just figure out the notes I like and connect them all, as if I'm playing 1-3-5. It's rather odd and hard to explain, but I would love to make better connections with chords and what not.
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
        If I ever play "outside" arps (non 1-3-5), I kind of just figure out the notes I like and connect them all, as if I'm playing 1-3-5. It's rather odd and hard to explain, but I would love to make better connections with chords and what not.
        Your arps probably end up sounding like the types of arpeggiated chord progressions usually found in classical music when you do this.

You have the chops. Why not learn Red House by Hendrix? It's as good as 12 bar blues gets and contains all of the standard arps I mentioned in my first post. He even throws in some neighbor tones. Learn the standard blues licks and arps from RH and integrate all the chops you have into that template. You won't regret it and you'll quote this stuff the rest of your life. Another thing you can do is think of the I, IV and V chords as separate tonal centers and "modulate" with them by choosing the best licks to play against each. Don't want to preach but you are so close to being able to apply this stuff to your playing in a way that few people can I'd hate to see you waste time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
          Your arps probably end up sounding like the types of arpeggiated chord progressions usually found in classical music when you do this.

You have the chops. Why not learn Red House by Hendrix? It's as good as 12 bar blues gets and contains all of the standard arps I mentioned in my first post. He even throws in some neighbor tones. Learn the standard blues licks and arps from RH and integrate all the chops you have into that template. You won't regret it and you'll quote this stuff the rest of your life. Another thing you can do is think of the I, IV and V chords as separate tonal centers and "modulate" with them by choosing the best licks to play against each. Don't want to preach but you are so close to being able to apply this stuff to your playing in a way that few people can I'd hate to see you waste time.
          I love hearing constructive criticism like this. It's funny you mention finding tonal centers about chords. It's what Friedman and Bouillet do and I absolutely love it. I've dabbled in that but I always got lazy and ended up practicing scales or something, but I would really love to be able to have a "go to lick" per chord. I'll give RH a shot.

Comment

Your a shred master man. Now all you need to do is learn to sound better slow. Get the touch and feel happening and conquer the world!

Comment

I love hearing constructive criticism like this. It's funny you mention finding tonal centers about chords. It's what Friedman and Bouillet do and I absolutely love it. I've dabbled in that but I always got lazy and ended up practicing scales or something, but I would really love to be able to have a "go to lick" per chord. I'll give RH a shot.
              Hendrix uses quite a few three-note arps in RH where the two lower notes are followed by a whole step bend to the final high note. He makes the most of the few notes he chooses to play and they are always appropriate for the tonal center he is playing against. Marty uses arps over two and three ocatves in the same position to get the sound you are discussing. Love what Marty does but they are worlds apart and it's possible to say so much more with far less. RH comes from a long tradition of saxophone solos in blues and Hendrix basically lifted the best of that tradition and put it all in one song.

You should consider buying "Nothin But Blues" by Jamey Aebersold. You can read about it here: http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merch...ry_Code=AEBALL It's a play along album that includes a lot of jazz influences. The songs consist of piano, bass and drums. I had this decades ago and apart from being a lot of fun it really improved my ability to create a coherent solo. Also, it's nice to have something to groove to when developing ideas. I recall playing along with this to entertain a few friends decades ago and they were really impressed. Most people--including many guitarists--aren't as impressed by a capella scalar runs and licks on guitar. Even when I solo today the process of developing motifs and licks comes directly from my experience with different Aebersold albums. Practicing like this was anything but boring and to me was always the most gratifying form of practice.

I could help you with a few theory questions if you like, but it would be easier if you could sit across from an instructor. I learned the rudiments of jazz and was able to create nice solos for different chord progressions like the ii, V, I progression, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jacksons Shred;1328331] always got lazy and ended up practicing scales or something, QUOTE]

S,funny... when I get lazy, I dont pick the guitar up at all! :ROTF:

BTW- I love your playing, very reminiscent of Jason Becker. exellent stuff

Pete.
                www.vendetta-theband.com
                www.vendetta-theband.com
                www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Originally posted by JediHalen View Post
                  always got lazy and ended up practicing scales or something,
                  S,funny... when I get lazy, I dont pick the guitar up at all! :ROTF:

BTW- I love your playing, very reminiscent of Jason Becker. exellent stuff

Pete.
                  www.vendetta-theband.com
                  Damn I wish I would have saw this comment earlier. I remember watching your vids and being blown away by your licks and vibrato. I really appreciate the kind words, man.

Comment

you got the arpeggios sounding really nice, well, off to practice

Comment

Now that you have the technique down fairly well - write some tunes to explore and showcase your writing. Good stuff young man.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                      X