Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just bought a Dodge Ram. Here's the weird thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought a Dodge Ram. Here's the weird thing...

I was looking for a truck for a few months, and planned on getting a beater for around $1,000. I found a few that fit the bill, but none of them were really good deals. Then, on Saturday, I'm driving past an aquaintance's house, and notice he has a sign out front saying "98 Dodge Ram 1500". I thought it meant $1,500, so I called him up later, and it turned out it was a Ram 1500, and he was asking $4,800, but he said $4k and it's mine, so I went to have a look. I remembered when he first bought it back in early 98, and he has kept it in amazing condition. It's only got 150k kms on it. That's not even 100k miles. Anyway, I bought the truck, and here's the odd part. This truck is loaded. Power bucket seats, power heated oversized mirrors, cruise, tilt, auto-dimming rear view mirror, towing package, etc., but no keyless entry, and it's a 5 speed! Who the hell would order a loaded truck with no keyless entry? The 5 speed is a little weird, but I actually really like it, but the keyless entry thing has me baffled. I called the Dodge dealer, and the guy told me he doesn't think it can be retrofitted. Sounds like bullshit to me, but whatever. No big deal. I guess I'll just have to get used to using a key again. I'll post a pic later.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Wow... My car doesn't have a keyless entry. I don't think its a big deal. 02 Honda CRV
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Go to a shop that does stereo/alarm installations. They will be able to rig up keyless entry guaranteed. That the one good thing about the gas prices climbing so high is the fully loaded trucks can be had for a steal now.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I used to have a 1500 Sport. Cool frickin truck! Crappy resale value right now, though...

Comment

In 98, not having keyless entry wasn't exactly unusual. The thing that makes it weird, is that it has a bunch of other expensive options, but they left out one of the cheaper, more common options. These days, don't pretty much ALL cars have keyless entry?

Oh yeah, I got two full sets of good wheels and tires with it too, plus a full sized spare.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            I used to have a 1500 Sport. Cool frickin truck! Crappy resale value right now, though...

Mine's a 1500 Sport too.

Comment

congrats
              "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
              Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Go to a shop that does stereo/alarm installations. They will be able to rig up keyless entry guaranteed. That the one good thing about the gas prices climbing so high is the fully loaded trucks can be had for a steal now.
                As long as it has electronic locks, they can swing it.

Congrat's!

I guess I need to look for a car sometime soon... Got rid of the V and driving the Tahoe now, but I need a Sedan of some sort... :think:
                Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  Mine's a 1500 Sport too.
                  Cool, yeah, that's the version to get. It sits up a bit higher, and the bed is a bit shorter.

Comment

Congrats on the Dodge. Good luck with it. Coincidentally, I may be getting a '98 Ram 1500 also to replace my '94 Toyota V6 pickup. My buddy, who is DEA, is leaving for Afghanistan at the end of the year. He will be gone for 2 years. He doesn't want it to sit in his driveway so he offered it to me. He was thinking closer to 6 grand though because it only has 50,000 miles on it. It isn't the Sport though. It is the extended cab and 8 foot bed version with the 360 Magnum in it. Auto, 4WD. We'll see if the deal goes through or not. I am thinking I'd like to spend 5 grand on it.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      Congrats on the Dodge. Good luck with it. Coincidentally, I may be getting a '98 Ram 1500 also to replace my '94 Toyota V6 pickup. My buddy, who is DEA, is leaving for Afghanistan at the end of the year. He will be gone for 2 years. He doesn't want it to sit in his driveway so he offered it to me. He was thinking closer to 6 grand though because it only has 50,000 miles on it. It isn't the Sport though. It is the extended cab and 8 foot bed version with the 360 Magnum in it. Auto, 4WD. We'll see if the deal goes through or not. I am thinking I'd like to spend 5 grand on it.
                      Sounds like a nice truck Scott. I hope the deal goes well for you.

I really like the stance of mine. It's not as high as a 4X4, but it's definitely higher than a normal 2WD. It has the heavy duty suspension, so that's probably why.

Comment

Better than fully loaded and manual windows.

Speaking of keyless entry, I replaced the batteries in my fob a while back, and the directions say that you have to reset the fob to access your car when you do that by holding down a couple of buttons.

Makes me wonder if you could reset your fob to work with any car that way. If so, there goes a huge security issue.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Better than fully loaded and manual windows.

Speaking of keyless entry, I replaced the batteries in my fob a while back, and the directions say that you have to reset the fob to access your car when you do that by holding down a couple of buttons.

Makes me wonder if you could reset your fob to work with any car that way. If so, there goes a huge security issue.
                          Try it and tell me if it works. :idea:
                          I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

No, every manufacturer has a different method of programming. And they are all usually a pain in the butt. Some manufacturers like Dodge allow you to add a key fob yourself if you have the original master and a working 2ndary key. If not, you have to go to the dealer and have it added.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Dodge 1500 has the ability, but, the key fob is missing. Did you have the dealer check to see if it was already installed? If not, just add an aftermarket alarm with remote door locks as mentioned above. You can also have remote windows installed with these as well. Good for warm days right before you go out.-Lou
                            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I happen to be one of those people who prefer non power locks and windows. My 08 Ford F-150 was ordered that way by me new Its becoming pretty difficult to find cars/trucks that still have manual windows and locks available and pretty soon they won't be available at all I suppose Less electronic crap to break is the way I look at it and all of it is expensive to repair when it does eventually break.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X