Any guitar teachers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any guitar teachers here?

That hate some of their students. How the hell do you manage..
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

My guitar teacher has me and 3 other dudes he has taught for a while (4 years for me) and then a bunch of little kids who only stay for the 8 week trial class or stay for one year.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I only hated one kid who didn't put any effort in yet was so potentially incredible. He never amounted to anything musically and ended up quiting playing. What incredible potential unrealized. He could play most Randy's licks and most of SRV's after a year of half ass playing and about 20 lessons from me. He learned Dee in 1 week by himself by ear.

Comment

I wish you guys were around closer to where I live because I need lessons to brush up on my technique.

Then you guys could start threads bitching about that fucking AK guy not doing his homework and then I would respond by saying "the sound just aint working for me. I do my homework, man."

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
          I wish you guys were around closer to where I live because I need lessons to brush up on my technique.

Then you guys could start threads bitching about that fucking AK guy not doing his homework and then I would respond by saying "the sound just aint working for me. I do my homework, man."

It's hard to find students, because everyone on craigslist "has been playing 30+ years" so it's hard to compete, especially when their prices are like $15 an hour. I don't have many students but one of them is a little kid and I feel like I'm baby sitting for a half n' hour. I don't do well with kids. He's nice, but he doesn't listen to half the shit I say and cuts me off. He doesn't practice either and then he says the shit I'm showing him is too easy and it's just frustrating as fuck.

God I feel like Blazer, crying like a little bitch.
          Last edited by Jacksons Shred; 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM.
          The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post

It's hard to find students, because everyone on craigslist "has been playing 30+ years" so it's hard to compete, especially when their prices are like $15 an hour. I don't have many students but one of them is a little kid and I feel like I'm baby sitting for a half n' hour. I don't do well with kids. He's nice, but he doesn't listen to half the shit I say and cuts me off. He doesn't practice either and then he says the shit I'm showing him is too easy and it's just frustrating as fuck.

I understand what you're saying , I teach a ten year old boy he doesnt practise at all and is constantly nagging me and asking "why am i not getting better" the money used to make the lessons ,just the thought of being paid made the hour go faster .But now i have enough students that could drop this guy and easily replace him.

also you shouldn't feel like blazer he isnt allowed near kids
            Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
            Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post

Sounds a little like my guitar teacher. He always talks about me and "The other couple of guys" who actually like good music. He says he wants to bring his big Engl Fireball in so I can try it because I may actually appreciate it.

I have considered teaching beginner-intermediate lessons. I practically taught part of my guitar class at school. I'm in the same boat as you though, I can't stand kids and their lack of attention span. I can teach all the rudimentary stuff and how to play the easy stuff but if the kid doesn't care what's the point? They would probably hate me because I would be, like my guitar teacher, really strict about pinky and (to an extent) metronome usage.

Gambles that out of that 30 years most of them count as "playing" they had a guitar collecting dust for 20+ of them.

One route you could take to make lessons more interesting for your students is to find out songs they like and see if there is a part of said song that would make a good exercise. Unfortunately most of them will pick terrible songs but at least it won't be as frustrating to teach them "boring" theory, chords and scales because they may actually be interested. Ex: My guitar teacher taught me 5 and 6 string sweeps using the solo at the start of Nevermore's "Psalm of Lydia" and vibrato with easy Marty Friedman solos. Most of my early rhythm technique I learned from Testament songs such as "Practice What You Preach". Unfortunately the vast majority will be like "OMG Jonas Brothers!!!1!!ELEVEN!!!" and you will have the urge to off yourself with a shotgun blast but if you persevere with the crap you may win them over then "suggest" (Force upon them) actual good music to teach them. My guitar teacher introduces kids to stuff like Dream Theater or Metallica as a start.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                Sounds a little like my guitar teacher. He always talks about me and "The other couple of guys" who actually like good music. He says he wants to bring his big Engl Fireball in so I can try it because I may actually appreciate it.

I have considered teaching beginner-intermediate lessons. I practically taught part of my guitar class at school. I'm in the same boat as you though, I can't stand kids and their lack of attention span. I can teach all the rudimentary stuff and how to play the easy stuff but if the kid doesn't care what's the point? They would probably hate me because I would be, like my guitar teacher, really strict about pinky and (to an extent) metronome usage.

Gambles that out of that 30 years most of them count as "playing" they had a guitar collecting dust for 20+ of them.

One route you could take to make lessons more interesting for your students is to find out songs they like and see if there is a part of said song that would make a good exercise. Unfortunately most of them will pick terrible songs but at least it won't be as frustrating to teach them "boring" theory, chords and scales because they may actually be interested. Ex: My guitar teacher taught me 5 and 6 string sweeps using the solo at the start of Nevermore's "Psalm of Lydia" and vibrato with easy Marty Friedman solos. Most of my early rhythm technique I learned from Testament songs such as "Practice What You Preach". Unfortunately the vast majority will be like "OMG Jonas Brothers!!!1!!ELEVEN!!!" and you will have the urge to off yourself with a shotgun blast but if you persevere with the crap you may win them over then "suggest" (Force upon them) actual good music to teach them. My guitar teacher introduces kids to stuff like Dream Theater or Metallica as a start.

I would love to have intermedient students, I have tons of idea's and exercises to show and I actually enjoy teaching kids who want to learn and get good at guitar. This kid doesn't like guitar music though. He told me he wanted to learn a song, he played it, and there wasn't even guitar in it.

I flaked out of a lesson because I didn't want to deal with it yesterday (I go to them) and I forgot to call. I feel like an ass but I'll give them a call later today.. I just fucking hate kids and wish I had more students so I could drop this one.

Comment

Working...
                X