Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious feedback needed - possible career related.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious feedback needed - possible career related.

Okay, here's a brief as possible rundown.

I just got a PM on another board telling me to contact Joe Kovacic of Lado guitars. Another member showed him a thread where I posted pics of my Lado Lazer replica. Apparently, he was impressed, and asked the guy to get me to give him a call.

Now here's the background. I've spoken with Joe a couple of times before. He is currently planning on retiring at the end of the year, and has the business (Lado guitars) up for sale. Joe also runs a luthier course from his shop which I always wished I had the time and the money to participate in. The full course is $12k and runs 20 weeks.

So, long story short, I'm wondering what the hell he could want to talk to me about. I'm admittedly somewhat nervous to call him. I'm unrealistically hoping that he'll offer me free training, and let me run the business for him. Ya I know that's kinda ridiculous, but weirder things have happened.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what my JCF bros and sisters think.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Call him. There is absolutely no downside.

But have goals in mind for the phone call. Take the time to prepare. Write down the top 3-5 possible outcomes for the phone call and think about how you can steer the conversation towards achieving one of those outcomes. Write down a list of questions - this is tougher since you don't know why he wants to talk to you yet so prepare for contingencies.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post

But have goals in mind for the phone call. Take the time to prepare. Write down the top 3-5 possible outcomes for the phone call and think about how you can steer the conversation towards achieving one of those outcomes. Write down a list of questions - this is tougher since you don't know why he wants to talk to you yet so prepare for contingencies.
      Wow Tim. You're really on the ball.

Honestly, I wouldn't even know what to have in mind when I call him. I'll probably call him on Monday after work. I doubt he'll be in the shop on a weekend.

Comment

Great advice Tim.
        Spend some time on this stuff, you only get one chance to make a great impression.

Comment

He wants to talk to you to tell you if you make any more Lado replicas he's going to fuck your arsehole.

(I'm assuming the Lazer replica is one you made?)
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
            He wants to talk to you to tell you if you make any more Lado replicas he's going to fuck your arsehole.

I knew Rsmacker would know the real story.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post

Funny thing is, that was my first thought.

Comment

Zeegs,
                Tell him you want full control immediately and that you can have a letter of agreement drawn up in no time-lol Good luck man, i hope this is something that
                turns into a thing of beauty for you.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Call him,Zeegs.You never know..................
                  Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

He probably wants to sell you a seat in one of his courses to show you how to build it right.

I agree with the others, you'll never know until you call. Since you aren't selling them I doubt it's a cease and desist.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Zeegs, I'm sure you've been freaked out and your mind hasn't stopped running since you got word that he wants to speak with you.

Yeah, it could be a 'knock it off' call, but I tend to doubt it. It could be that he may be interested in having you help with the future of the brand....?

Sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post

This is the absolute best advice that you are going to get.

If he is interested in selling the business to you, I would negotiate an "understudy" period into the deal where you would essentially be a paid employee-in-training.

And I'm sure that I don't need to mention to get an attorney involved if you are considereing purchasing the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                          This is the absolute best advice that you are going to get.

If he is interested in selling the business to you, I would negotiate an "understudy" period into the deal where you would essentially be a paid employee-in-training.

And I'm sure that I don't need to mention to get an attorney involved if you are considereing purchasing the business.
                          +1. If he's planning on retiring, he probably wants to sell the business.

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
                            Great advice Tim.
                            Spend some time on this stuff, you only get one chance to make a great impression.

agreed

Comment

Interesting story! Keep us posted!
                              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                              X