For aircraft enthusiasts: the first airliners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For aircraft enthusiasts: the first airliners

It's funny, commercial flight has become so common place that one tends to forget that powered flight itself has only been around for 100 years and in less than half that time, airlines have evolved to multimillion dollars corporations and the airliners themselves have become the ultimate of luxury for the passengers.

But let's talk about where it all started, at the end of the first world war, aircraft builders saw their military orders canceled and the interest for civil aviation as a new market grew. In the very first period after the war, commercial aviation started with the use of dumped military aircraft, scouts and bombers with the necessary modifications. These aircraft were far from comfortable. Passengers were placed in open cockpits, dressed up in thick suits and flying helmets as the only protection against the elements.

This is the B.A.T. (British Aerial Transport) FK 26, the first purposely designed airliner. Conceived and build in November 1918. B.A.T.'s chief designer Frederick Koolhoven, had realized himself that with the aircraft of the time, traveling by air would be no competition for the comfort of trains and ships. He chose to create an aircraft especially for the transport of passengers. The first day after the armistice was signed (November 11, 1918) he started working at the drawings of the B.A.T. FK 26. The FK 26 could carry four passengers in an enclosed cabin while the poor pilot sat in an open cockpit at the far end of the fuselage. Only four were built.

Following a close second was the Fokker F 2 and it's development the F 3

The passenger cabin of a Fokker F3, luxurious in a very old school way. The F3 also was the first airliner to have an on board toilet. Fokker built in great numbers and sold the F3 worldwide making it also the first successful airliner.

And then there's the Junkers F13

The Junkers F 13 was the first all metal airliner. Yet, it must be said that the F 13 was really ahead of his time and successful for years. Some F 13's have flown until the end of the twenties.

I'd have thought the first ones would have been in Airships (or what the Yanks call Blimps). Loads of room, no real worries about space/fuel/load ratios, the perfect way to travel in luxury.

I guess the Hindenberg and R101 scuppered that idea though!
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

"Let's fill this giant balloon with a highly flammable gas!"

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
        I'd have thought the first ones would have been in Airships (or what the Yanks call Blimps). Loads of room, no real worries about space/fuel/load ratios, the perfect way to travel in luxury.

I guess the Hindenberg and R101 scuppered that idea though!
        Zeppelins were in the thirties, so you're two decades off.

Comment

BOOM..!!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

holy fuck
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              BOOM..!!!
              Err, a B29 is not an airliner.

Although there has been a commercial development of the B29. The 377 "Stratocruiser" which had the same wings, engines and flight systems. What it didn't share with the B29 was the sleek look.

It looked rather pompous and blunt.

Comment

Dude..I posted that's the Enola Gay. The B-29 that dropped "Little Boy" on Hiroshima. It doesn't get any more "Boom!" than that. Except for the B-29 "Boxcar" that dropped "Fat man" on Nagasaki..lots of boomage goin' on there.

Here's some vids of that..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxUd...eature=related

Holy Moly that one big bang!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtSt5...eature=related

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah but a B-29 can be an airliner. Puts some seats in there. Some chicks serving peanuts..and showing you how to use your floatation device..bing..airliner. That 377 looks just like the Enola Gay with a different paint job, windows ..and seating..

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                    Zeppelins were in the thirties, so you're two decades off.

Nope, those two particular airships were in the 30's, but Luftshiff Zeppelin LZ1 was launched in 1900, LZ2 in 1906. They were used extensively during WW1 for bombing British cities and for recon., and were hoped to be developed for travel to our colonies like India.
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                    X