Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Text editing formula and subtitles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Text editing formula and subtitles?

I have a problem with a subtitle (.srt) file. It doesn't work because the subtitle number's don't have comas to separate milliseconds from seconds.

For example the time code is written 00:04:04567
    but it should be 00:04:04,567

With subtitle editors it would take forever.
    With a simple text editor I would just have to add the comas but it also would take a lot of time as there's thousands of lines of text.

So is there any formula/code or whatnot which would automatically add the coma between the seconds and milliseconds.
    Another thing would be erasing the milliseconds (3 last numbers)
    So instead of 00:04:04567 there would be 00:04:04

Can I do it in Word or something like that (I have a NeoOffice in my Mac)?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Find another subtitle?

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
      Find another subtitle?
      I couldn't find a different one in English. It's the same thing everywhere. The Spanish and Portuguese versions seemed to have the same problems.
      The Turkish and Romanian ones had the right coding.

I may have a change in opensubtitles.org but that site is always down... I give it another shot.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ok. opensubtitles had the correct one...

but still... I'd appreciate if anyone knows how to do what I described as there's many screwy subtitles out there.

Comment

Try here aswell:
          http://divxsubtitles.net/page_subtitles.php
          http://www.sub-titles.net/ (select "Angleščina" from drop down menu-that's English)

If you find some with different framerate than your movie, you can fix that with SubtitleWorkshop.

Comment

You could make a macro in Word to do it, assuming the placement of the timecodes is predictable (i.e. always on the same spot on each line).
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
              Try here aswell:
              http://divxsubtitles.net/page_subtitles.php
              http://www.sub-titles.net/ (select "Angleščina" from drop down menu-that's English)

If you find some with different framerate than your movie, you can fix that with SubtitleWorkshop.
              thanks for the links

but the one I was looking is only in a few sites, and both, the ones with the wrong and the right time code suck badly... looks like someone took the Spanish script and copied it to Google Translate Luckly most of the dialog wasn't anything special and there was a lot of poetic voice-over narrative... I cared only about the visuals and music anyway

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              You could make a macro in Word to do it, assuming the placement of the timecodes is predictable (i.e. always on the same spot on each line).
              ok... I'll try to figure out how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                Another thing would be erasing the milliseconds (3 last numbers)
                So instead of 00:04:04567 there would be 00:04:04
                Actually, that would read 00:04:05 because once the 3rd number is 5 or above, it rounds the 2nd number up to the next number.

Could you Search & Replace the file so it adds commas to any line with :##### in it?

Say something like Replace ":12345" with ":12,345"?

How big is the file? Can it be uploaded?
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Here's the fucked up file

http://www.moviesubtitles.org/subtitle-5806.html

Comment

I thought this was interesting and since I am a nerd I figured it out. If you download textpad (www.textpad.com) you can use the replace feature with regular expressions.

Search for:
                    ([0-9][0-9]:[0-9][0-9]:[0-9][0-9])([0-9][0-9][0-9])

and replace with:
                    \1,\2

This will convert xx:xx:xxxxx to xx:xx:xx,xxx

I tried it on your file and it works. If you want you can pm me your email address and I will send you the file.

Comment

Working...
                    X