• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cost of going "green"

"Poshard says SIU tuition increase in works

ASSOCIATED PRESS

04/27/2009

CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois University President Glenn Poshard says plans for tuition and fee increases will move forward, despite uncertainties about the state budget in Springfield.

The SIU Board of Trustees will consider a 4.5 percent increase in tuition for the Carbondale campus in addition to many fee increases at its meeting next week. Tuition will go up by 6 percent for students attending SIU's Edwardsville campus.

Poshard and other administrators say those numbers will hold as long as Gov. Pat Quinn's proposed budget passes.

In addition to fee increases, SIU board members will look at a new fee for students called a "green fee." That new charge will help pay for university initiatives to help save energy and promote a greener way of doing business."
    ================================================== ==================

Isn't this double dipping? The schools already get gov. tax dollars and assistance, they get grants for research, and now they want the students(parents) to pay for their "green" ideas that the school tax is already paying for? If going green is supposed to be more efficient then shouldn't the price of tuition be going down?

Flame suit on ~

Going green is just another money making scheme, if you replace all of your non green stuff with the new green stuff - then whats going to happen to the landfills?

I like lead based solder, and I like freon and electrical parts cleaner with cfc's - I drink beer that comes in the dolphin torture tabs, etc ............
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Lead solder smells awesome!
      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
        Flame suit on ~

Going green is just another money making scheme, if you replace all of your non green stuff with the new green stuff - then whats going to happen to the landfills?

I like lead based solder, and I like freon and electrical parts cleaner with cfc's - I drink beer that comes in the dolphin torture tabs, etc ............
        I have to agree to an extent. I think mankind has probably done things that are negative to the Earth's environment no doubt. But at the end of the day, 100 years is a grain of sand on the beach in terms of a sample size. The temperature of the world has risen and fallen with time. It's a natural cycle over thousands of years, and thus I do not believe it is the dire situation it is being made out to be, though it has taken a back seat recently as people don't have money to spend on it, wonder why...

As for the cost, I think it's need to be cost effective to do it either in savings or an actual improvement of what it's replacing (IE A CFL is a superior light source to a normal bulb and cheaper, thus making it a good upgrade). But some green things like hybrids are just not (they actually more damage to the environment then a conventional car and you make up fuel costs saved when it comes time to replace/dispose of the battery).

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          Lead solder smells awesome!
          I agree, but I think that's the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
            Flame suit on ~

I can't argue too much either.

Being in the construction, specification and consulting engineering field I get to experience on an everyday basis the "green" revolution.
            For those of you that might now LEED certification for new and existing construction is a huge movement these days for Government facilities and infiltrating more and morethe private sector.
            The consulting money is HUGE. What consulting< you may ask?...

Well... as an Architect, Engineer, Owner and contractor you can file for LEED certification but a commisioning agent MUST be in the process to ensure compliance. Moreover, the Green Building Council fees to get the ball rolling are appaling.
            The LEED "paperwork" is through their website, no paper submissionsare allowed, good thing you might say? butthe mountain of paper it generates on the design, construction and purchasing side is truly amazing.
            My LEED project folders are four times the size of a normal project since you have to generate (in my case) lighting density calculations, power comsumption tables and building control(s) schedules. The process is overwhelming,.

All that work on my side and the commisioning agent's side is not free. While I do admit some energy savings to the owner, I am concerned about the long term viability of my design measures as they require a higher level of attentionthan the 'ol switch on wall way of lighting control and such.
            I've seen predatory behavior from light fixture and lighting control reps. They smell blood in the water with this new eco-friendly industries. All kinds of snake-oilslaesmen are out claiming their widget is better than the competitor and a lot of products are scams.

The average building owner has a janitor and a handy-man to run the building for him and that is a bit much to ask for some of these old-battleaxes.
            In some cases, assuming a competent crew, I have seen ROI numbers come back between a 5 year payback to as long a 16 year payback. Way beyond acceptable limits on many industries.

But you know what?? several developers and building owners have told me flat out is all about the LEED plaque. The make an event of it, call the press and hang the damned thing i their lobby. Pound their chest about how eco-friendly they are and after that is whatever they need to do to operate their building on a low cost basis.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
            X