Boy, today was my turn to do overdubs in the studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy, today was my turn to do overdubs in the studio

Okay then, my Band Slavantas is busy recording our debut album "The Last men standing" and today was my turn to do redo my tracks or overdub some stuff when needed. I brought along my trusty London City "Bulldog" Tube head, my Boss GT5 effects processor, My old faithful 1989 Squier Stratocaster "the Veteran" and my newly acquired Modified seventies SG Custom.

Now I had used my SG on the last rehearsal and everybody was raving about how good it sounded, unfortunately it had an issue with staying in tune and the neck and middle pickups were way too close to the strings so they sucked out all the sustain. So I lowered the neck and middle pickups until they were virtually flush with the surface of the guitar, I then bolted on the double locking Washburn "Wonderbar" cram trem bridge which requires no routing to be installed and I fitted a top lock. It works a charm, the guitar sounds better than before and stays in tune.

But when I got it out at the studio, the engineer looked at me with a "Are you kidding me?" look on his face but our lead singer who was also there shushed him and said "You'll be surprised."

I ended up using the SG on the whole thing and the engineer said that he'd love to have that guitar in the studio and asked me if I were interested in selling it, I went "Nope, I'm really enjoying the ownership of this guitar, I'm not gonna sell it."

But as good as the SG sounded the tediousness of having to play several parts over and over and over again got to me at one time. And I asked to have a small break, our lead singer smiled and told me that I had every reason to be tired, I had been playing for over four hours.

I'm glad that I'm done there, I'm exhausted, Jack T. our other guitarist will have his turn next Friday and after that my bass playing brother will be up.
    Last edited by Blazer; 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM.

Fact of life is, sometimes the totally crappyist looking guitars are some of the best sounding and looking guitars, especially if you're attached to it and know the all the quirks and fine nuances of getting it to do what you want.

Comment

Is Jack T. still super skinny? From what I've seen of his pictures he looks like a skinny little dude that seems to be the type that can absolutely destroy anyone at guitar (Like this teacher at the place where I take lessons).

I like the blue colour on that SG.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
        Is Jack T. still super skinny? From what I've seen of his pictures he looks like a skinny little dude that seems to be the type that can absolutely destroy anyone at guitar (Like this teacher at the place where I take lessons).

I like the blue colour on that SG.
        Jack T. still is a walking skeleton.

Want to see something funny, here's the music video of the previous band Jack T. was in, 2Extra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmIsTURClSM
        The song is called "Alles voor je doen" ("I'll do anything for you") and Jack T. is the one playing the Fernandes Van den Berg model.

But not to make a fool out of Jack T. here, I'll gladly post my own youth sins, here I am performing with my first band. I'm the one with the turtle neck and the black telecaster.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwV6_Uj0Po

Comment

Never mind that, have you got any CCTV footage of your old bass player, the mentalist, going bat-shit crazy?
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
            Never mind that, have you got any CCTV footage of your old bass player, the mentalist, going bat-shit crazy?
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZY1ka81l48
            He's seen in this clip.

Comment

Working...
            X