No announcement yet.

Reformatting an HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My HP is the same specs you just mentioned though it has a 16" widescreen (What size is the one you're getting?). It has the AMD Athlon X2 and it's held up well. This thing is started up and running an application in less than 2 minutes. Whatever brand you get, get a hard drive larger than 160 gigs. It fills up fast. I just had to buy an external drive to put my music, games and movies on. You get about 100-110 gigs out of it due to the OS and whatnot.

On reliability: We've had a Dell desktop for 3 years. It's worked good though it's starting to show it's age. The original hard drive blew last year. My brother's had an HP laptop for 2 years and he's had no problems with it.

For recovery disks, you can burn one (At least that's what my computer tells me). Both my and my brothers laptops have a recovery partition.

I have computers with both Intel and AMD CPUs and I don't notice a difference though they are from completely different times. My CPU in my desktop is an Intel Pentium D (The original dual core, before that Core 2 Duo stuff) and it's still a beast. My laptop has the aforementioned AMD Athlon X2 and it's held up well. It runs fairly cool from what I've noticed. I'm sure someone who knows more about computers can help you out more with that.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

As far as upgrade options to consider, things you commit to for the life of the product are vid card capability/memory, screen rez, burner, etc. I'd even consider the CPU as a permanent config since it's not as simple or cost effective to replace/upgrade by aftermarket.

But for things like hard drive storage and RAM, note the additional costs.
      The following example upgrade prices are from a typical Dell 15", and will vary depending on base model etc.

Example, Dell charges +$100 to go from 2 to 4GB RAM
      You can buy 4GB for ~$50 retail keeping or reselling the original 2GB

Again Dell charges +$100 to go from 160 to 320GB to upgrade the hard drive
      You can buy a 320GB new retail for ~$80 (while still keeping the original 160 as a backup solution or wiping it, buying an external drive shell for ~$20 and having a custom USB powered external drive)
      +150 to go from 160 to 500GB (or buy 500 for ~$100 while again keeping the 160)

newegg.com prices only, bestbuy or other brick and mortar stores will bleed you for the same products.

The other and often costly upgrade option to consider if offered is for the battery. If mobile frequently, bigger the battery can be better. The only downfall I hate most about laptops is batteries have a lifespan (# of recharges) when it's finished, it sux. Dell wants $250 to replace my battery in a 3yr old Inspiron (because the model has been updated) Ebay and Chinese knockoff are maybe $60 but I'm too skeptical and not mobile enough to be bothered for the time being.

BTW, consider getting an additional and identical AC cable (ebay usually is cheaper)
      Nice to have one for mobility, and one left in the most frequently used location.

For the record, I like Dell and my Inspiron e1505 laptop. Desktops tho I will only build custom.

Comment

Lapotop's are coming into thier own now. The $500-$600 range laptops aren't bad at all. I got my Toshiba for $500 with a 1 gig memory upgrade almost 2 years ago. I can still get $350-$400 for it if I wanted to sell it on ebay and turn around and get another $500 unit that will be a few steps better.

Don't get a laptop for any type of serious gaming. The onboard video just won't hackit most games.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
          it has an AMD Athlon x2 Processor that is slightly faster at 2.1 ghz.
          Doesn't work that way. Intel's Core 2 series blows the x2s out of the water at identical clock speeds. There's a reason that AMD is hemmoraging money right now. Personally I'd go with the Dell. You'll be fine with 2GB of RAM, and you can always upgrade it yourself later.

Also, 160GB is plenty of space and also can be upgraded later.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
            Lapotop's are coming into thier own now. The $500-$600 range laptops aren't bad at all. I got my Toshiba for $500 with a 1 gig memory upgrade almost 2 years ago. I can still get $350-$400 for it if I wanted to sell it on ebay and turn around and get another $500 unit that will be a few steps better.

Don't get a laptop for any type of serious gaming. The onboard video just won't hackit most games.

Matt

Thats cause you haven't played with my laptop.
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Well, I bought one today. Acer Aspire One netbook, $300, plus I plan on buying a CD drive for $50 after I've owned it for a week to see if I really need one. Yes it is XP. I just heard of too many issues with Vista, especially on lower end units, and I got cold feet and decided to just stick with XP. I basically decided I didn't need to spend a lot when I needed something basic and simple.

So far it's done everything I need it to. Only complaints are the touch pad being too small for me (included mouse solves this) and battery life (expected and not a major issue for me) the PC runs very fast and smooth. 1GB of RAM helps things great, and the 160HN has plenty of room. Runs everything I need it to with ease, though I've not tried any image editing or recording software yet. The screen is fantastic, and the keyboard is easy to use after you spend about 10 minutes with it. It also does not get overly hot. Extra software crap is minimal. Hd is also fast and the machine is pretty quiet.

It is good however, I don't plan on flying or going on long trips with it, because the battery lasts about 2 hours under normal conditions. Not major when you are at home but I can see it being an issue if you plan on using it differently. It's not for everyone but it fits me perfectly. The screen may also be too small for some, but it is bright, the colors are brilliant, and it is very sharp.

So I would recommend it, but mainly for school work and office work. I've not tried any "heavy" games but that should be interesting (my most demanding is probably Sim City 4). And yes this post is from it

Comment

Just get Rollercoaster Tycoon. That's all you'll ever need for games.

I've been wondering how those mini-computers are. Sounds pretty good so far.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                  Just get Rollercoaster Tycoon. That's all you'll ever need for games.

I've been wondering how those mini-computers are. Sounds pretty good so far.
                  Ironically, one of my all time favs, probably right next to it is Sim City 2000. As a whole, it's doing fantastic so far. But something to keep in mind is that the technology is fairly new, so I would imagine that by next year, it will have grown leaps and bounds and very likely will run Windows 7 (in fact, some Aspire Ones have been set up to run 7 Beta). I just don't think they are quite as portable (at least this one; one with a Solid state drive likely uses a LOT less memory) as they make them seem to be (low battery life, both the HP and this Acer have nigh useless touch pads), but it does suit my needs, and that is all that matters.

Comment

Great! Glad you enjoy it. I think you were smart to avoid Vista with a netbook.
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X