what is oozing out of our ground???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
    I'll be 76 and won't really give a fuck! All I hope is that when that bad boy strikes, I've got my face buried in some 30 year olds snatch! "Baby, Old G's gonna suck on your clit till you think you're gonna explode, then you will!"
    I'll be gummin' that lil' man in the boat and maybe that asstroid will be a direct hit and make my brown eye blue..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      I don't see the doom in this, do you think any current computers will be viable in 29 years? I've been lucky to get 5 years out of one before it's pretty much obsolete.
      So in 2038 when kids have their 28core 768bit systems with 5000gigs of ram this won't matter, it will only affect things like the IRS.
      Yeah don't confuse the rapid advances in computer hardware with advances in software. There is still a lot of old DOS and UNIX code written in the 70's and 80's embedded in "modern" operating systems. That shit will be around forevar!

Comment

The reason that Y2K was fairly uneventful is because a LOT of infrastructure was corrected ahead of time.

Pretty much every major operating system from the old Unix and mainframe systems to Windows to Mac and many, many thousands of programs were patched. Long retired COBOL programmers were brought out of hibernation and making some serious coin to fix old mainframe systems.

A lot of old hardware had to be replaced altogether because nobody could find the tools and hardware to even update the firmware on the devices.

Needless to say this was massively expensive for some folks. But not as expensive if nothing had been done. Things would have been seriously fucked for a while otherwise.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The one about the Mayan calender cracks me up.
          Like the world will end at 2012.
          Their world ended long prior.

Didn't they forecast their calender about 500 years too long?

Comment

I don't think Mayans were predicting the end of the world. I think they thought some astronomical or astrological phenomenon was going to happen that would make their calendar quit working accurately, or at least make them have to do new observations and re-work it. That would maybe be the end of an age, but not the end of the world. Maybe their culture had been looking at the night sky long enough to know of something that happens on a really slow cycle that we don't know about now. They weren't idiots. Their brains worked just as well as ours, but they had completely different priorities. I can't stand it when morons think those cultures couldn't have built pyramids or moved heavy stones without alien help or whatever just because we can't figure out exactly how they did it. Spend thousands of years working with stone and you're gonna get damned good at it. We don't work in stone, so we've lost the knowledge, just like we wouldn't know what plants to eat or use for medicine if we got dropped in the rain forest.

Oh, and that lady in the video? Batshitinsane.

Comment

It's funny on the wikipedia page for the 2038 problem there is a link to the "Year 10,000" problem??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem

Really?........Seriously?...... I mean christ by then if we havn't snuffed ourselves out by nuclear war or some huge asteroid hasn't killed us, or well even obesity or some other catastrophe, do you think we will still be using computers in the same way, if at all? for fucks sake we will probably all be gelatinous cubes or electircal waves we will have since lost our human form and be somethign else! or maybe we will all be chimps again!

anyone see this though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Sequoia

This is a vuage outline of a potential Skynet/cyberdyne situation! maybe by then we will have giant fucking human crushing gun toting robots that will kill the shit out of us and we won't have to worry about all this other useless bullshit!

and look
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(satellites)

There is already a skynet group of satellites! which are being controlled by Paradigm systems Paradigm/Cyberdyne, conicidence? huh? huh? huuuh?

sorry just bein cheeky!

Peace Easy!

C

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralArchitect View Post
                It's funny on the wikipedia page for the 2038 problem there is a link to the "Year 10,000" problem??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10,000_problem

Really?........Seriously?......
                Interesting read! Date calculations are always a challenge in software, so I think this page exists mainly for academic purposes.

Comment

Oh I understand the reasons for having it listed, I just think it's a bit premature.

I any event, I suppose there are more problems for us to worry about as well, like when this fucking guy who is selling me his amp will get back from vacation already and just ship me the fuckin thin hahahaha, that's my biggest worry right now, oh that and where I'll go today with the woman!

C

Comment

Here's the Straight Dope on the 2012 thing:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-world-in-2012
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

She knows how to add scrolling text but doesn't know how to spell anything in it.

Classic.

Comment

Working...
                      X