X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wow!!! read this bullshit...

Canada judge: Man not responsible for beheading

1 hr 26 mins ago

AP – Vince Li, accused of stabbing, beheading and cannibalizing another man on a Greyhound bus in Canada …

WINNIPEG, Manitoba – A Canadian judge ruled Thursday that a man accused of beheading and cannibalizing a fellow Greyhound bus passenger is not criminally responsible due to mental illness.

The decision means Chinese immigrant Vince Li will be treated in a mental institution instead of going to prison.

The family of victim Tim McLean dismissed the trial as a "rubber stamp" that allows Li to get away with murder.

"A crime was still committed here, a murder still occurred," said Carol deDelley, McLean's mother. "There was nobody else on that bus holding a knife, slicing up my child."

The judge said Li should not be held criminally accountable for stabbing McLean dozens of times last July and dismembering his body while horrified passengers fled.

Justice John Scurfieldsaid Li's attack was "grotesque" and "barbaric" but "strongly suggestive of a mental disorder."

"He did not appreciate the actions he committed were morally wrong. He believed he was acting in self-defense," Scurfield said.

Both the prosecution and the defense argued Li can't be held responsible because Li was suffering from schizophrenia and believed God wanted him to kill McLean because the young man was a force of evil.

He will be institutionalized without a criminal record and will be reassessed every year by a mental health review board to determine if he is fit for release into the community.

DeDelley said a yearly hearing is ridiculous, and that Li should be locked up for the rest of his life.
    Li's trial barely lasted two days and only heard from two witnesses, both psychiatrists, who testified he is mentally ill.

That Li killed the 22-year-old carnival worker was never in question at the trial. Li has admitted he killed McLean but pleaded not guilty.

Witnesses said Li attacked McLean unprovoked as their bus traveled at night along a desolate stretch of the Trans-Canada Highway.

An agreed statement of facts between the prosecution and defense detailed how passengers stood outside the bus as Li stabbed McLean dozens of times and beheaded and mutilated his body. Finding himself locked inside the bus, Li finally escaped through a window and was arrested.

Li then apologized and pleaded with police to kill him.

Police said McLean's body parts were found throughout the bus in plastic bags, and the victim's ear, nose and tongue were found in Li's pocket.

A psychiatrist called by the prosecution Wednesday testified that Li cut up McLean's body because he believed that he would come back to life and take revenge.

After the trial, government prosecutor Joyce Dalmyn said McLean's family understood that she had to tell the court about Li's condition.

"The evidence was so overwhelming that he was not criminally responsible. I absolutely had an obligation to bring that to the court's attention, and the family understands and respects that," Dalmyn said.

She said people who are mentally ill should not be convicted when they don't know what they did was wrong.

"They need to be treated," she said. "I certainly agree in Mr. Li's case he needs to be treated for a very long time."

McLean's family is vowing to turn their attention to fighting the law that allows people who are found not criminally responsible to be released into the community once they are deemed well, without serving a minimum sentence in jail.

DeDelley said her son didn't die in vain. His death highlights concerns about the justice system, she said.

"Now people are aware that there is a problem," she said.
    Last edited by markD; 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

gotta love "justice".....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Canadian Justice.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

What the... How could this possibly go ahead? He freakin' ATE the part of the guy he killed. We've been talking about this for about a week in Law class. It's absolutely insane (no pun intended) that there could be a remote chance of him getting out after being treated. Who says he won't snap again?
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

How come he can't get the psychological help he needs in prison along with meds to keep him steady? At least this way he would not be able to harm the public again.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
            How come he can't get the psychological help he needs in prison along with meds to keep him steady? At least this way he would not be able to harm the public again.
            Hell of a point Scott!

Comment

Justice shows up once in a while, not often enough.
              In most cases, there is only the law.
              this is eye popping.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I agree with the judge here. Instead of sending him to prison for life, they've essentially sent him to the asylum for life. It is highly doubtful that he will ever be released back into society and it's painfully obvious that he's crazy.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                  They were talking about how bad the medical system in prisons are...they would never be able to treat such a "medical illness" within the prison. But setting the man free is a big big mistake. A crazy world we live in, allright. :think:
                  Sam

Comment

Do you really think this guy's ever going to get out of the institution?
                    Those Dr's will never let him out of there, they will have this on record and he will fail every psych exam every year. Even if the meds are kicking in.
                    No Doc's going to sign off on him and have their career at risk.

So it's jail for all intents and purposes, just with diapers and straightjackets. It just sounds better this way.

Where is everyone getting that he is being set free? He'll actually be more restricted here. But it'll be "for his own good". It's a certain kind of hell that can be worse than jail.
                    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Happens all the time in Canada. Heres one that happened recently where in the US they would be labelled as terrorists, but in Canada they are let go because prison would be too hard for them. If theres a 912, Vegas should run odds that the guys are all from Canada...........

http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen...f-a3ecb2eabe0b

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
                        Happens all the time in Canada. Heres one that happened recently where in the US they would be labelled as terrorists, but in Canada they are let go because prison would be too hard for them. If theres a 912, Vegas should run odds that the guys are all from Canada...........

http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen...f-a3ecb2eabe0b
                        It's arson for profit and insurance fraud.
                        Throw in 3 counts for reckless endangerment for the people next door.
                        These fuckers would be doing 5-10 minimum here in the states.

Next time I feel like "breakin' the law, breakin' the law" I'll go to Canada.
                        -Rick

Comment

There are a lot of dangerous people in public that would have been institutionalized 30-40 years ago. The government (Not even Canada's crumbling model medical system) can sustain the crush of individuals who need to be kept under psychiatric supervision. Granted, a known killer "might" not mak it back into the population, however, the number of people just like him that could snap any minute is really scary.

Who could promise never to sneeze again? Same kind of situation here. I seriously hope this guy has bought a lifetime membership, but it's hard to say in the economic climate that's grown over the past several decades. We can no longer house criminals properly and must pick and choose the ones who will get early parole, FFS!
                          There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Dead man walking.

He won't be around too long.
                            Somebody will get him and that's all there is to it.
                            Dead man walking.

For his own safety they should've locked him up or institutionalized him.

The Judge?
                            Yep, career change to be considered.
                            Definitely not gonna get re-elected.
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post

For his own safety they should've locked him up or institutionalized him.

They are institutionalizing him.
                              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X