VH1 Metal Mania rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH1 Metal Mania rant

Ok, so I find Headbangers Ball to be indigestible these days. Yeah yeah, I'm getting older, and I understand that I belong over in the VH1 "Metal Mania" retirement camp which caters to aging old school 80's metal fans (blegh). I can even put up with the commercials for hard-on pills. All that is fine...but...what's with the repeats?!? I've set up my DVR to record this shit, and I swear there are only like 10 episodes out there in the wild. I can only watch those Scorpions and Queensrych videos so many times!!! It's not like the show has DJ's or VJ's or whatever the fuck they call them now...I mean their production costs are almost zero. I demand new episodes. There are a zillion videos which aren't represented...what's up with the lame, cost-shaved, recycled hash that is Metal Mania, VH1?!?
    Last edited by Axewielder; 02-06-2009, 01:08 AM.

Agreed. It's so bad that I actually stopped watching. The part I hate most is the inbetween animated wortions showing all the tribal shit, like THAT is suposed to be impressive. There is a show that has Eddie Trunk (?) that seems to be fairly entertaining. I don't if it's old or not, but it can get pretty funny at times.
    Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

+1. I switched to Youtube, but now they seem to be pulling videos?

What happen to the Crazy Nights Loudness video? I was there a week ago, now it's gone.

Comment

I just go here.
        http://www.mtvmusic.com/

And pick out what I want. They seem to keep adding from the archives.

Here's "Let it Go" by Loudness.
        http://www.mtvmusic.com/loudness/vid...et_it_go.jhtml
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

That was absolutely fucking AWESOME!!! I remember picking up their 'best of' compilation in Japan in the late 80's. Never saw the video before. Thanks! Akiro Takasaki rules!
          Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Ok, so I find Headbangers Ball to be indigestible these days. Yeah yeah, I'm getting older, and I understand that I belong over in the VH1 "Metal Mania" retirement camp which caters to aging old school 80's metal fans (blegh). I can even put up with the commercials for hard-on pills. All that is fine...but...what's with the repeats?!? I've set up my DVR to record this shit, and I swear there are only like 10 episodes out there in the wild. I can only watch those Scorpions and Queensrych videos so many times!!! It's not like the show has DJ's or VJ's or whatever the fuck they call them now...I mean their production costs are almost zero. I demand new episodes. There are a zillion videos which aren't represented...what's up with the lame, cost-shaved, recycled hash that is Metal Mania, VH1?!?
            I agree with you completely. Metal Mania is as stale as 3-week old bread.

I actually recorded a month of shows in a database. My intent was to show their lack of variety. Sadly, I never did anything with it, I just don't think they care anymore. But there are hundreds of bands out there that should get airplay instead of showing multiple Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, or Skid Row videos in each airing.

By the way, am I the only one who had never heard of Rose Tattoo (nor do I actually care to) since they started playing the video on Metal Mania?
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by wetrx95 View Post
              Agreed. It's so bad that I actually stopped watching. The part I hate most is the inbetween animated wortions showing all the tribal shit, like THAT is suposed to be impressive. There is a show that has Eddie Trunk (?) that seems to be fairly entertaining. I don't if it's old or not, but it can get pretty funny at times.
              Actually, that show borders on the verge of being unwatchable. They give the appearance that metal isn't interesting enough so they have to throw a couple of comedians on the show.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

"Borders" on unwatchable?

Yeah, I find it sad when I, Cleveland METAL (the name gives a hint that I "might" enjoy metal a lil bit), have to watch Forensic Files, Twighlight Zone and House reruns on a Saturday night when a few channels away is something called METALmania, and it sucks so bad I don't bother watching.

Ugh...

Oh, and Rose tattoo sucked when they were somewhat popular, and they suck still... I was right then, and still am. AC/DC wannabees.

Comment

It sure is a rare day when we agree this much John. And I was trying to be nice about That Metal Show. There are some interesting features to it, but overall I'm sure we agree, it's awkward and juvenile.

Now I'm one who believes that if you're going to complain about something you should have an idea on how you'd fix it...

Metal Mania: The formula for improvement is simple... More variety of video. It's out there for sure, YouTube has a good amount of it. Viacom/VH1/MTV must have it in the vaults somewhere. Send an enterprising intern down there to pull it all out.

Also... Limit each of the "Big bands" to one video per episode. And totally put an end this "Classic Current" crap. It's nothing but an excuse to fill up time with more than one video from the same band. Besides, there are several other bands from this general genre that have new videos out that they never even play.

That Metal Show: First and foremost, dump the comedians as the co-hosts! Give them a metal-related monologue in the beginning of the show.

More metal news, if you have to add another half-hour to the show, do so. Talk about tours, band changes, new albums...

Where are they now... They did it with Vinnie Vincent, how about using it to promote people who are still in the industry. They could probably use the press. I happen to know that Ron Keel formed a new band in Vegas. (the guitar player - Johnny Douglas - is a friend of mine) This kind of show would be a great vehicle to promote those bands.

If you're going to interview musicians, keep the guitars and whatnot out of the interview. If you want a performance, schedule the band (or musician with a house band) to play two songs somewhere within the broadcast maybe to open and close the show.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah they can bag that "stump the expert" bit that they do as well. He always gets stumped and it's not very entertaining.

Comment

That would work for me...

An ya, tis a rare day, haha...

Metal mania is also misnomer... Maybe they could call it "80's MetalMania" haha... Don't recall seeing anything current there.

I personally think the video stuff is great to get people to see new bands or new releases and buy them. Sitting through ANOTHER 15-20 year old skid row warrant whitesnake poison video only inspires me to turn it off, not buy it.

Comment

I think BillZ should be the host...

THAT would friggin rock, and he looks MUCH more metal than the milktoast host they have.

Comment

Sadly, they have Eddie on there as name recognition. He's got connections and he's got some pull with his radio show, but yeah, they could definitely find a better host. If they're going to stick with the 80's stuff, pull Ricki Rachman out of the trainwreck VH1 dating/charm school shows and have him host it. He at least seemed knowledgable.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Gawd you know things have gotten bad when people are requesting Ricki Rachtman back....

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                              milktoast
                              ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByYv_zWN1U
                              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                              X