No announcement yet.

Mustang GT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive heard the same thing about the 86 - up 302 blocks as well. Although they do take alot of abuse thats for sure!

I found a 1971 302 block in my garage (#D1OE) and 2 sets of 1970 302 closed chamber heads (#DOOE).
    I forgot that I had them, and just stumbled across them when I was looking for that double hump cross member a few weeks ago.
    I also found some 1970 302 Flat top pistons and rods as well.
    I know that they are the old 28oz. internals, but can they be balanced for an 82-85 50oz motor?

The only thing that I'm uncertain about putting that 1970 351W in this would be the Flywheel.
    I'm using a 50 oz. one right now and as you know anything before 1982 was 28oz.
    Im using a 10" clutch as well.
    I cant remember if the old 28oz flywheels accepted a 10" clutch or not?

Can I simply have some material removed from my 50oz flywheel and have it re-balanced?

Or should I just buy an aftermarket 28oz flywheel?

Another question that I really want to know is:
    Were all 351W's 28oz. balance? Even the 1982-1995's?
    The '82-'95 302's were 50oz, but I heard that the 351W's remained @ 28oz.

If thats the case I can simply grab a flywheel from a Ford Truck, and if I use a T-5 (bigger 10.5" clutch) I wouldn't have to worry about anything and it would be the cheapest route.
    I can use an oil pan from a '79-84 Grand Marquis/LTD w/ a 351W because they used a semi-fox platform and the oil pan will work, because my brother used one on his '82 Capri RS that he put a 351w in.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

The roller blocks I think are weaker and also a couple other things to consider when swapping these around are the fact that earlier motors not only had the 28oz balance as you mentioned but also they have two piece rear main seals prior to 1981 so putting your late model crank in the earlier block is not that simple. Besides, the 28oz balance is superior from a performance stand point to 50oz anyway. These motors are externally balanced from the factory and heavier 50oz stuff wobbling around on the ends of the crank at high rpm is a lot worse than 28oz. Most cracked blocked I've seen have been with running the 50oz stuff and they crack right up the front face of the block and on up the cam bore. Not pretty! The 351W is 28oz, that is correct. Another minoe issue is whether your motor has the dipstock through the block or oil pan. 79-81 Fox chassis cars had the dipstick through the oil pan while later roller motors had it through the side of the block. If you use an older block like I did with my Mexican block, there is no provision for it through the block so you'd have to find an 81 and earlier oil pan or use an aftermarket Canton oil pan. I went with a Canton 7 1/2 quart pan which has the oil dipstick through its side.
      The flat top pistons you have from the 70 motor were cast, not forged. Plus the chances of a used block and used pistons from another motor going back together standard bore are pretty slim. Usually an overbore is required and I would use forgings anyway.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

I may switch back to Flowmasters myself. The American thunder kit was originally on my car when it was dyno'd at Anderson Ford, but I have since switched to Bassani and it's been a love hate relationship. Love the quality and fit of the Bassani cat back kit, but hate the sound at anything besides idle with the tailpipes on. Tailpipes off and it sounds pretty bad ass IMO, however with my 6 year old daughter who likes to occasionally cruise with me I can't have her breathing exhaust fumes at stoplights etc... I'd really like to try the Flowmaster 3" header back kit, however it's designed to be used with shortys and I have longtubes. Plus it's close to $900 bones!!!
        Last edited by 10secondLX; 03-20-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Try a UPR X pipe with a Magnaflow catback. NOT the MagnaPACK. The regular Magnaflow. A buddy of mine had that setup on his car and IMO it sounded much beefier than the Flows I have now and it didn't drone as much.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
          '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Wow..you guys are going crazy in here. What the hell??!!!

I just wanna go fast!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You already do go fast Bill, you're at about a 1500 lb advantage over us Mustang guys with your Cobra. You don't need a whole lot of power to move that thing like a rocket Of course if you do need more power I'll gladly help spend your money on go fast goodies for you
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah no kiddin Roody, I bet that FFR Cobra is pretty wicked to drive!
                I always liked those and the Cobra Daytona Coupe alot. I'd be tempted to build a 427 stroker Windsor for in it though. But in all reality it's not really "needed"
                Horns, have you ever weighed your Cobra, or did they give you an estimated weight with a 302 in it?
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

I've always been partial to the 289 FIA Cobra myself. They have the bulges of the 427 S/C Cobra but its a small block car. Biggest problem with Cobras is the short 90" wheelbase. You can go sideways real quick with these cars. Cobras are the baddest cars ever made The Daytona Coupes are incredible as well. Only 6 originally built and Mr. Shelby's personal one fetched better tha $6 million at auction a couple years back Ford power rules!
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Wassup Mustang Mofos.. !!!

Yes, the actual weight of my FFR is 2,065 lbs. I have a 5.0 in a go kart. Launching it hard makes everyone laugh..it's so fun. 0-60 times is about 3.5 seconds..especially with my dad driving. He's a maniac!

The power I have on tap is enough for me for now, if I get bored..I'll get more.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• See, I wasn't far off with my 1500 lb weight advantage eh? Anyway, I have another project car I'm working on. This one is a 64 Falcon which is a full tube chassis car featuring a 4 link rear end with narrowed 9" Ford rear end and late model Mustang strut front end. It has fiberglass doors, trunk lid, hood, and front end. It will be powered by a built Boss 302 with nitrous and a Jerico 4 speed transmission. Weight will be about 2000 lbs but it has a chassis/suspension capable of launching like a drag car
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

• Are you using a real Boss 302 for that car? They are about as rare as you can get these days you know?
                        I saw that Edelbrock is making a Boss 302 Performer RPM intake which isn't too expensive really.
                        My dad had a 65 Falcon Futura with a 410 Mercury motor in it when I was younger, so I always liked those cars.
                        Crites Resoration makes some nice A/FX and B/FX Teardrop fiberglass hoods.
                        Going with a Mustang II front suspension?
                        That sounds like a kick ass project for sure man!
                        The closest thing I had was a 1960 Comet with a 351 Cleveland in it, and it was alot of fun, but it was tough to find parts for that car.

Id love to try a Jerico 4 speed in my Maverick, but the high cost has kept me away from it for the time being.

Horns, I can only imagine what it feels like to launch that Cobra from a stand still! ....Hold on mutha fukkas!
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

• Yes, its a genuine Boss 302 motor It will have a Weiand tunnel ram with two Holley Dominators and an NOS Cheater nitrous plate system. The front end will use Fox Mustang stuff not Mustang II. The rack is a 71-72 pinto rack, actually made by Flaming Rivers while the rest of the front suspension pieces are from Anthony Jones Engineering. The Jerico 4 speed I bought after selling off a bunch of extra parts at the local swap meets and the big Ford swap meet in Columbus. The money from that went into a Jerico fund. Once I had enough money saved up for it I ordered it. It will use a McLeod adjustable clutch which was expensive too. Should be a fun street/strip car when done.
                          Oh, the hood uses a shorter Pro Stock style hood scoop. I'm familiar with Crites' stuff but their prices are way too high for what you get.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X