Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your personal guitar related "wisdom and experience list"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your personal guitar related "wisdom and experience list"?

No detailed explanations needed.

-thick strings and thick necks just sound and play better
    -racks just plain sound better than a few noisy pedals
    -stock pickups do not automatically suck
    -old is sometimes better than new in regards to gear and guitars
    -12" speaks are better than 10"s and 4x12 are simply the best of all
    -good tone is subjective while bad tone is not
    -some of the worlds best players know when "not" to play
    -no one will work/setup/care for yours guitars as well as you
    -straplocks just plain make sense
    -your wife owns 40 pairs of shoes but your 2 guitars makes no sense to her
    -the OFR is the best built/sounding version period
    -if the club makes you pay for cola its time to pack it in

Just my two cents!

It's not easy to add to that list, I agree with almost all of it already, but in the spirit of contributing ...

- if you've got a decent guitar and amp, the best effect you can have between them is a good quality cable
    - straplocks should be compulsory
    - there's ALWAYS something you can learn that's going to be worth knowing

Comment

Perhaps I should add the obvious.....

-the JCF is a simply awesome place to meet/greet/learn and just enjoy the finer guitars in life

Comment

-a band with their egos in check can rule the world if they have some talent
        -keep some fun in it, it's more musical

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

- Tone is everything in your signal chain but it starts in your hands first.
          - Play the heaviest strings you can bear because it will sound better.
          - Relax your hands when you play. You'll be able to play faster and last longer.
          - When you start playing, get a teacher so you can learn solid fundamentals.
          - A great guitar player is not inherently a great teacher. Conversely, a mediocre player can be a great teacher.
          - Recognize the difference between "practicing" and just "noodling".
          - Always practice with a metronome. You will be amazed at how much it will help your playing.
          - When you are watching TV and playing, try to follow along with commercials and TV show themes. It will improve your ear a lot.
          - Learn how to play the vocal lines of singers you like. It really helps your phrasing because vocalists have to breath.

That's all for now. It's still early for me.

Comment

NICE ones!!!
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

tone isn't sound
              construction (bolt on, neck thru, etc) makes no difference
              ESP is teh best
              Krk rulez hailz

Comment

- Posting on guitar boards eats into practice time in a big way.
                - Knowing this still doesn't help.

Comment

-"Good", "better", and "bad" are always subjective
                  -"shut up n play yer guitar" is the best piece of advice ever given to or by a musician
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

-Talent is all in your head. Right Mr. Becker?
                    -A fat wallet does not a great player make, but it sure makes me jealous!
                    -For every hour you spend copping licks, put in another 2 making your own.
                    -If you're under 25, think long and hard before you sell that axe you've had forever. In fifteen years, you'll hate yourself for letting it go.
                    -If you don't think you need practice, record yourself dry. If it doesn't sound like ass you were correct!
                    -Output tubes are 51% of an amp's tone. While owning a tube amp is cool, that Uberschall in your bedroom isn't doing you any favors.
                    -Learn to do your own setups. The money you save can buy you some righteous gear.
                    There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

-If there's grass on the field... Play it...

Comment

- open back cabs fill the room more
                        - less is often more: less gain, less effects, etc.
                        - great "players" aren't always great songwriters and without a song your future is limited
                        - be yourself, not your favorite player
                        - you have found your "tone" when you can express yourself musically and get lost in what you are playing
                        - listen to everything, it will help your creativity and writing
                        - don't worry about being a shredder, nobody cares but other guitarists....

which leads me to:

- if you have more girls in the crowd than guys, you have made it!!!!
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                          -If there's grass on the field... Play it...

...just be aware of Statutory Rape laws, and don't cry when they nab you for playing in an underage vagina
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And here I was speaking of the awesomeness of playing large ball stadiums...

Friggin pervs...

Comment

Great advice all around! Just stick with it and develop your own style, the guitar takes a lifetime to master. Age doesn't effect guitar playing like it does sports, you constantly progress through different plateaus in your playing. Get the best equipment you can afford and experiment with different gear when you have the chance. Find a drummer and bass player and jam together as much as you can. Play out when you can and remember anything can happen. Be gracious to everyone you meet, it will benefit you in many ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X