• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
    '61 martin-$2599.00
    2 ibanez basses-$1.00
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

An Update!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...r_on_ebay.html

Kids sold them to a flipper, who put them on ebay and then....well, flipped

Cops are playing the guy in Lakewood- He's going to end up getting whacked, too. "Honest officer the 16 year old came in here with those two Gretches. and there's nothing unusual about that!"

I've talked to music store owners about this before. One in particular casually asks "backstory" questions any time someone brings something in...not grilling them, just "Oh, so you play?" and stuff like that. He said he's gotten burned only once, and he wasn't 100% on the girl who sold it to him's story....turns out UPS had left something on her neighbor's porch and she just took it.

He could be an innocent in all of this of course. But these kids knew to come to him, the flipper, to sell the guitars. Hmmmmmm.

Used to call that being a fence . Lakewood can be a little shady.

Vass
      Last edited by Vass; 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
        So the thieves came in to a room with 5 males and got away with $7000 worth of gear? If I was in there with a group of friends, I don't think they'd get away with anything unless some sort of gun was displayed.
        If these fucking scumbags came into my house you're damn right a gun would be displayed!
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Neutral location for Craigslist sales.
          Same with local trader paper type sales.

I don't need strangers casing out my stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Neutral location for Craigslist sales.
            Same with local trader paper type sales.

I don't need strangers casing out my stuff!
            How do you show them that your amp works and how it sounds at a neutral location? Is Denny's gonna let you plug in and rock out?
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The one on Sunset will Lerx.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

There are electrical plugs in a lot of public places, Lerx. Keep your eyes peeled next time you're at your local park for example. If you're a member of a church, you can ask permission to set up there maybe. There are solutions...
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  There are electrical plugs in a lot of public places, Lerx. Keep your eyes peeled next time you're at your local park for example. If you're a member of a church, you can ask permission to set up there maybe. There are solutions...
                  Yeah, I have noticed that in my travels. I was interested in what Cyg's response was specificaly. That's why I didn't raise the same concern when you said it earlier in the thread.

His specific scenario, selling amps that he builds and that are not a known brand, I wouldn't imagine that someone is going to just pick one up somewhere without trying it out extensively first.

Is the church gonna let you regularly bring people in to crank an amp, maybe for an hour, as a guy runs it through its paces to see what it sounds like? It's not like plugging it in and playing for 5 minutes to see if the controls all work. We're talking about someone who is trying to break into the boutique amp market.

Maybe he can do that at work since he's a supervisor. I actually used to do that in the back room of the plumbing shop where I worked, when I sold stuff through the Recycler. We had an alarm system there that would deter anyone coming back later.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My amps don't go on Craigslist or the papers.
                    I did sell a lot of guitars through the trader paper in the past.
                    I would meet buyers in public.

Comment

When I lived in a one room apartment in a student neighborhood I had breakins twice in four years, but they never touched my gear. All the took were some CD's, some consumer electronics and stuff like that. My guess is that it's pretty hard to actually sell stuff that can easily be identified and traced. Denmark is pretty small and it would really difficult to put it up for sale without somebody noticing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                        My amps don't go on Craigslist or the papers.
                        I did sell a lot of guitars through the trader paper in the past.
                        I would meet buyers in public.
                        So how did they know the electronics worked? Just took your word for it?
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Looks like they may have nailed at least some of those asswipes!

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/...ap6017870.html

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                            Yeah, I have noticed that in my travels. I was interested in what Cyg's response was specificaly. That's why I didn't raise the same concern when you said it earlier in the thread.

His specific scenario, selling amps that he builds and that are not a known brand, I wouldn't imagine that someone is going to just pick one up somewhere without trying it out extensively first.

Is the church gonna let you regularly bring people in to crank an amp, maybe for an hour, as a guy runs it through its paces to see what it sounds like? It's not like plugging it in and playing for 5 minutes to see if the controls all work. We're talking about someone who is trying to break into the boutique amp market.

Maybe he can do that at work since he's a supervisor. I actually used to do that in the back room of the plumbing shop where I worked, when I sold stuff through the Recycler. We had an alarm system there that would deter anyone coming back later.
                            Also, look at a lot of parking lots, especially hotels etc. There are usually outlets on their power poles or on the outside of the building somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X