Billy Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Powell

Billy Powell, Lynyrd Skynrd keyboardist died at 56.....> He was a good friend of my uncle and one of only two surviving members who are still with the group (Pyle is not).

http://music.msn.com/music/article.a...9800&GT1=28102
    Last edited by donf; 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Very sad news. Another freebird flies home.
    Rest in peace brother.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...ll-dead-at-56/
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Yeah, I was very sad to hear of this earlier today. RIP Billy...
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Damn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyOgVFDocs
        Last edited by nhspike; 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM.
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Very sad.
          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Terrible shame, too young. Gary R. was original correct?

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                Terrible shame, too young. Gary R. was original correct?

Vass
                yea,
                he and gary were the only 2 left...

Now its just gary.
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Ed King is still alive, and according to Wikipedia Billy was no longer an active member anyway, but listed as a former member. The Wiki article on Skynyrd was not yet updated with Billy's death as of a couple of minutes ago when I checked it.

RIP Billy, it's a sad day...
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

those motherfuckers lived hard lives.

talk about getting everything both super-good and super-bad that life has to hand out, in spades. jeez.
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                      yea,
                      he and gary were the only 2 left...

Now its just gary.
                      Ed King is still alive as lerxstcat says. Also, Artimus Pyle, drummer, (was also in the plane crash) is still alive, though, I think he had a falling out with the band afterwards.

As for Billy, he was still an active member and had performed with them as late as two weeks ago on board the Simple Man Cruise Jan 2009.
                      Last edited by donf; 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM.
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

RIP Billy - thanks for the amazing tunes.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by donf View Post
                          Ed King is still alive as lerxstcat says. Also, Artimus Pyle, drummer, (was also in the plane crash) is still alive, though, I think he had a falling out with the band afterwards.

As for Billy, he was still an active member and had performed with them as late as two weeks ago on board the Simple Man Cruise Jan 2009.
                          Artimus was with them for a long time, but in these cases a lot of people get particular about "original" status. He did replace the original drummer in 1974, though he was a better drummer IMO and with them longer than the original guy.

Kinda like leaving Ian Gillan out of a discussion of Deep Purple because Rod Evans was there to sing "Hush" before he joined the band. How many people would think Ian was the original because he sang on most of their peak career songs?
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X