Influence and Tradition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influence and Tradition

I wrote this a year or so ago and posted it on another (Local) forum. I just ran into it again and thought I'd share....

Some of my earliest recollections as a child were going to my grandparent’s house every weekend for our family get-togethers. Grandmother always cooked a big dinner and, afterwards, we would all go into the living room and listen to my grandfather, my mom, step-father, uncle, and aunt play guitar and sing old folk and gospel songs. Grandpa loved music, and besides guitar, he also played harmonica and accordion. Those we memorable times indeed, and to this day, I believe that that was the foundation to my influence and fascination with music.

When my grandmother passed away, grandpa stopped playing his guitar so much. Shortly after, my step-father had an accident with a circular saw leaving him with only his thumb and forefinger on his left (fretting) hand. He tried for awhile, but eventually gave up playing his guitar as well. My mom still strummed around every now and then, and even played a couple of small coffee houses every now and then for something to do. After my grandfather passed away in 1990, it was pretty much up to my aunt and my mom to take care of his affairs and finalized the family business and my aunt took grandfathers guitar for safe keeping.

Last week, my mother came to town for a visit. When she got here, she pulled out a guitar case and handed it to me, “this is for you.” She said. I have no words to describe the feeling I had when I opened the case and saw my grandfathers guitar, I was so moved, I couldn’t speak. Of all the grandkids, I was the only one that took an interest in music, so my aunt thought it only made sense for me to have it, so she sent it with mom to give to me. Upon further inspection of the case, I also found one of his old Harmonicas (an E) a cord (the guitar is a hollow body electric) and his old Capo.

It’s not a vintage, highly sought after Gibson or anything like that, on the contrary, it’s an old Silvertone, made by Harmony for Sears. I did some looking online and found that it was produced from 1954 to 1958 and sold for $69.95 but it’s priceless to me.

http://demont.net/harmony/model.php?id=274

I haven’t hooked it to an amp yet to see if the pickup is still any good, but I did clean it up and put new strings on it. I’m amazed at how good the condition is after all these years, especially the neck which is as straight as a…. well…. A board… LOL

I know this is a long message, but I thought it was worth sharing.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

That is a very cool story, sorry about your Grandpa - my mom(before she passed) had bought me a guitar off of the home shopping network(or something similiar). Now it's not very nice at all, I can't even set the intonation on it correctly. However I'll keep that guitar forever.

Sometimes the sentimentality of an instrument far surpases it's physical value.
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

That was a nice story to read. I am glad your aunt thought of passing Grandpa's guitar on to you. I am sure it will be with you forever, and with the guitar a piece of him too.

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      Sometimes the sentimentality of an instrument far surpases it's physical value.
      That is why I still hold onto my crappy Seagull acoustic guitar. My parents sent it to me while I was in Beirut in '83-'84 so I would have a guitar to play in my free time.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Cool story. Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
          That was a nice story to read. I am glad your aunt thought of passing Grandpa's guitar on to you. I am sure it will be with you forever, and with the guitar a piece of him too.

That is why I still hold onto my crappy Seagull acoustic guitar. My parents sent it to me while I was in Beirut in '83-'84 so I would have a guitar to play in my free time.

Yeah, I have a couple of those.. I have a Samick acc electric that my wife bought for me when we were dating.. it's actually a nice guitar though.. I also have an epi SG that a good friend gave be just before going to Iraq never to be heard from again.. Both of them will be with me forever, right alongside my granpas Silvertone..

Comment

UPDATE:
            I finally hooked it up to my amp. I must say, I'm impressed that it works at all. Pots are a little scratchy and the pickup is really week, b ut it does work and has a really nice tone. I'll try to get a pic or two today assuming I can get my POS digital camera working,

Comment

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story!
              "POOP"

Comment

That is a great story indeed, you were very fortunate to grow up around a family playing music. It's funny, because lately I've been thinking of some of my childhood musical experiences. When I was 5 we lived outside D.C. and my parents sent me to a summer camp for 2 weeks out in the boonies of West Virginia. I was only 5, God knows what they were thinking. Anyway I was homesick as hell and spent most of my time hanging around the mess hall. There was an old upright piano there and I would sit there tinkering on it. One of the cooks, a big older black lady took a liking to me and knew I was a little to young to be that far away from home. I remember very clearly that she use to play and sing for me absolutely beautifully. She use to really rock out The Battle Hymn of the Republic and some other standard spiritual songs as well. That is my earliest memory of music being played and it's stuck with me forever. I also remember seeing a guy play a saw with a violin bow. The first time I saw a guitar played was when my brother got a Sears cowboy guitar for Christmas not long after that. My dad tuned it up, laid it on his lap and took a butter knife and starting wailing on it slide style. That blew my mind. I think my pops always wanted to get a guitar and I remember him talking about buying a Les Paul way back. He was a cool dude, kind of a "ratpack" type. It wasn't until when I was a teenager, that I was on a surf trip and a surfer dude gave me a classical guitar to fiddle with. Somehow after hours and hours I got good sounding sounds out of it and that was it, that started a hobby that snowballed and has lead to things I can't believe I've done. Oh yeah, years later when I got my first Les Paul, I popped the case open and my pop's eyes lit up and he looked at me and just said "get good".

Comment

Working...
                X