Gear with Amex points???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear with Amex points???

When did this happen?? I've been searching the Amex point store forever, and the only thing you'll usually see when searching "guitar" is Affinity Strats & RockBand.

All of a sudden Best Buy & J&R both offer "real" gear??

I have about 100k pts built up over the last couple years- put lots of wedding expenses & have to use the card for work stuff alot.... I could grab a tiny terror for nothing!

https://www01.extra.americanexpress....id=fs_47165393

LOL I am using AMEX for everything from now on.

Have I just missed this? Was this a recent change?

Vass

hell I've no idea about this program I don't use credit except for my house ! Looks pretty cool getting something you'd like - for doing nothing different, best buy has been expanding into the music store business for a while now. If I remember correctly, they'll be getting Gibson Guitars, DW drums and some other brands as well - no J/C though !
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I use Amex Blue and just take the cash at the end of the year. All of these "points" programs are crap IMO, expecially skymiles.

Cash is king.

Comment

I don't use AMEX for credit- It's a true "charge card" I guess, not a credit card. You pay the balance at the end of the month in full.

Love the AMEX because of the buyer's protection & the rest that goes along with it. Plus it makes it easy to put your expenses together for work.

Anyhoo- Don, what's the conversion on the cash? I remember looking at it and seeing that, of the $$$ deals converting points to cash was the worst "bang for the buck"....like each point is worth .005 cents or something but for the cash it was less.

My thought was more to use the points for something I would have bought anyway....

Vass

Comment

I like my Amex... I spend about 3-10k a month sometimes for work and I rack up some serious points..
          2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
          2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
          2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
          2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
          2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
          2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
          2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
          2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
          2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
          1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
          1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            I use Amex Blue and just take the cash at the end of the year. All of these "points" programs are crap IMO, expecially skymiles.

Cash is king.
            +1 - I have the same one through Costco. Prefer the cash...
            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

I always pay off all cards at the end of the month. Finance charges are for suckers.

I do about $3K - $10K spending a month - everything goes on the Amex. I don't use other cards unless I'm forced to.

I get back about $2,000 a year.

Yes, that pays for a nice guitar.

Fuck their points.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                (W)hat's the conversion on the cash? I remember looking at it and seeing that, of the $$$ deals converting points to cash was the worst "bang for the buck"....like each point is worth .005 cents or something but for the cash it was less.
                The Open (Blue) one is at least 1% cash back on everything, and since I pony up for the Exec membership at Costco through work, there's addition benies too (like 2-3% for gas, 5% for meals/travel), but they change on a pretty regular basis...
                Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

If I not mistaken you get double points when you use your Amex at musician friends.
                  2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                  2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                  2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                  2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                  2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                  2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                  2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                  2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                  2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                  1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                  1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Working...
                  X