No announcement yet.

String Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started with D'Addario XLs and always thought they lasted well and sounded fine. Began a string search years ago and discovered DR Tite Fit had the best sound and longevity (barring coated strings, yuck!). Expensive though and sometimes hard to find light/heavy sets I like.

Lately, tried Ernie Balls in their new airtight packaging and have been pleased with the value/life/sound of their 10-52 light heavies. That's coming from someone who thought EBs were crap for ages.

Comment

All EB's here for the past 5-6 years.

Super Slinky's for Floyd's and Vintage Trem guits.

Classic Slinky's for the LP

Some heavy 11-something Slinky's (Hybrid? Not Even? Fat Bottom slinkys?) for my SG which is in drop-C.

RPS Slinkys for my Model 4 w/ Kahler (I just got some of the new titanium wrapped RPS but haven't tried them out yet).
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

I used D'addario XL110's since starting on the guitar in 1984 or so. I would still be using them if I hadn't tried DR extra life strings in the last year. Now I won't use anything but. It took a little bit to adjust to the coating but I'm addicted to my fingers not smelling like corroded nickel after playing now.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          I used D'addario XL110's since starting on the guitar in 1984 or so. I would still be using them if I hadn't tried DR extra life strings in the last year. Now I won't use anything but. It took a little bit to adjust to the coating but I'm addicted to my fingers not smelling like corroded nickel after playing now.
          Precisely why I use them. My fingers don't feel gross and I actually like the feel of the coating. It makes the strings feel new the whole time I use them.
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
            i have no idea what ghs are like but i like ernie ball hybrids.
            Yeah me too the 9-46's. I think they make them in coated now (the equivalent to DR's Extra Life) but I could be wrong. I used DR's for a while and may go back, but I like the feel and action of Ernies
            Ratt & Roll

Comment

I'm also an Ernie Ball fan. Super or nowadays Regular slinkies do me fine. Last for ages.
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've been using GHS for a long time. I always broke D'Addarios and could not keep Ernie Ball strings in tune. All on the same guitar I use GHS. Thank God for options!
                "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I just read the good old days thread and then got onto this one. When I started we bought Black Diamond strings, whatever pack they had. Then it was Fender superlights, lacing up your axe with those was like a ritual- you took your time stretching and tuning them because it was going to be a long time before you bought another set. This was before tuners and you never bought more than one set at a time. A lot of times if you broke one, you would go buy a single string to replace it. We never had Ernie Ball strings, they were a west coast thing. Players from California would talk like Ernie Ball strings were magic- they sounded the best and made you a better player. Back then you "ripped", this was before "shredding. I still have a soft spot for Ernie Balls just because of the early mystique about them. Pretty corny, huh? D'Addarios sure as heck do the trick and are the best buy- a 3 pack for $10 plus tax. Some people insist all guitar strings are made in one or two factories and just packaged with different brand names.

Comment

EB here. Skinny top, heavy bottom. 10-52's. Best strings I've found so far.

Comment

I like the Gibson vintage reissue or the DR's, 9's on floyds and 10's on stoptails.

Comment

Ernie Ball and D Addarios rust like CRAZY for me. Never liked either, ever. I was a firm DR user. Loved em', then I tryed Boomers and my love interest changed. Inexpensive, long lasting, take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. What more could a guy ask for?
                        Gear:
                        Jackson Dinky Rev. Pro
                        Jackson Kelly (KE3?), Lawrence equipped
                        Ibanez RG320
                        Ensanada Acoustic
                        Peavey Bandit 112
                        Soon to Be:
                        Pedals!

Comment

I can usually get two 4hr gigs and a 3 hr rehearsal out of a set of the Ernie Ball Slinkys I've been using the past several years. I change my strings about once per month per guitar, but I also rotate btwn 5 guitars for gigging, so I probably change maybe 2 sets of strings per month, 3 sets at most if it's been a busy gig schedule.

I may have to try the DR Extra Life strings at some point - do they come in just nickle rather than all the silly colors?
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Elixirs get my vote for electric guitar. With the nanoweb coating on the wound strings, dirt and the acid from perspiration can't get down into the core wire of the string, which is what causes the wound strings to become dull sounding.

They do sound brighter than other strings IMO, so they may not suit some music styles. Great for hard rock and metal.

They last.........................and last! And yes, they're worth the extra skins because I get three times the mileage out of them that I got with other non-coated strings.

Comment

I like Elixirs.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                                I like Elixirs.
                                Quik...I don't watch football, but who won on Sunday? Can I proudly say that the Lions didn't win a single game this season?

Comment

Working...
                                X