Kickass Christmas gift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickass Christmas gift

NOT gear related! My wonderful wife signed me up for lessons!

I can play OK, decent speed, find my way around a solo, etc. But I've really suffered from a lack of fundamentals for a long time. When I took lessons as a kid it pretty much turned into jam sessions with my teacher rather than real learning. Consequently, I can play alot of 80's songs, but have a hard time, even with basic shit. I'll play a scale, but I have no idea what it is, or what it's for.

So she signed me up with a local place around here. I know them pretty well but don't know the teachers. I called to finalize the time & such & talked with the owner, who is a bit of a buddy of mine- Turns out the guy he's putting me with used to tour with Sepultura with his band- So he's not going to be some weed whacker! Can't wait, hope he kicks my friggin' ass & is just ruthless.

Pretty psyched. I bust her chops all the time about getting me a RR1 for Christmas, but honestly this is what I needed- Not another guitar (although I'll take care of that myself in good time) but this- which I should have done for myself, but it's always, "I'm busy/studying/travelling for work/bullshit".

The lessons are paid for, they're scheduled, that's it. Tomorrow evening. I am honestly shocked by how fired up about it I am.

Vass

Make sure you tell her how much you are looking forward to it! She'll appreciate that!

I could do with the same sort of thing, been playing for ooooh, years, can burn away sometimes, but feel there are things I don't know about, but should. I think I can play better than I know about, if that makes sense, like Vass, playing stuff written by talented musicians, I just go through the mechanics.

It's difficult to explain to someone that you'd like to go right back to the beginning, start again and fill the gaps, but not dwell on things like "London Bridge is Falling Down" like a mong for ages.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

RS- Worried about the same thing. But my understanding is that there's going to be an "assessment" period during the first lesson or so, where he as the teacher is going to get a feel for what I need, both through what I tell him I want and what he can see is going on..... Sounds like you have the same situation- I can rip out a minor 5 string sweep & give the illusion that I am shred-shred man, but when you're sitting there with the guy for a period of time, that sort of thing isn't going to carry you for long Nor do I want it to. I have no pride in this. If he thinks I gotta let people know the bridge is falling down for a week or two, so be it.

On your first comment- You bet man, I haven't shut up about it since Christmas Eve when she told me. I've been blabbing about it to her family & mine ever since She knows I'm over the moon. Brilliant gift.

Vass

Comment

I wouldn't be half the guitarist I am if it weren't for my guitar teacher. He only teaches me songs if they have a technique to work on. It helps a lot with structuring how I practice so I know what to practice. Good luck with your lessons!
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Cool. I was taught by Mike Romeo (Symphony X) back in 1987, but I still don't have 1/4 of the talent as that guy!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1

I wish I could play guitar as good as I can buy and collect them

Comment

I often think of going back and taking lessons again. The two summers I took them, my playing improved exponentially.

I blame tablature for my downfall. It makes it easy to learn a song and know absolutely nothing about the notes.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                +1

I wish I could play guitar as good as I can buy and collect them

Same here.
                I'd love to go back to get schooled on theory and more fundamentals.
                Nowadays, I try to do online lessons and pick up theory books, but, unless I can get someone to explain it to me, It dosen't "click".
                Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

What a thoughtful gift. Enjoy. Sounds like it will be a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatpicker View Post
                    Same here.
                    I'd love to go back to get schooled on theory and more fundamentals.
                    Nowadays, I try to do online lessons and pick up theory books, but, unless I can get someone to explain it to me, It dosen't "click".

+1 couldn't agree more. From time to time I spend hours trawling through tabs and that but as soon as I'm up and doing something else it all fades away. I would definitely benefit from having someone to help me focus on certain things.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Cool. I was taught by Mike Romeo (Symphony X) back in 1987, but I still don't have 1/4 of the talent as that guy!
                      I have the urge to kill someone right now.

Comment

Me too! I grew up in the same town as Mike did. There was a music store a couple blocks away from my house where he worked. He didn't really like the bitch that owned the store, so he'd give me lessons at my house or his house.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd love to take lessons but I have no idea where to go here in Raleigh.
                          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I was taking lessons....but then I got laid off..

Comment

lessons are def on my to-do list.

in the meantime, I try to draw something from every single player I ever get to jam or gig with. I ask questions of them. I have them show me that odd chord I've not seen before that they just used. I compare how to fret various chords and the different options. that alone has made me much more well-rounded in terms of technique.

but I still want lessons to really get to the next level.
                              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                              X