Need a new LCD monitor. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new LCD monitor. :(

K... After a good windstorm this morn and lotsa electrical issues, I find that it took out the backlight invertor or "maybe" just a bulb took a crap on my Viewsonic Monitor. Such timing...

I have been through two Viewsonics, both with issues... Cold solder joints and other misc. Don't think I'm doing that again.

Contemplating a Samsung (they're pretty major players in LCD tech) or maybe a Hannspree (cheapie).

Any comments on what else to consider or not?

LG are supposed be really good. I'm quite lucky in that everytime my monitor dies, my father goes to work and loots one
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

They actually look good, but do have kind of a bad name as far as LCD televisions goes. Not sure if that translates to PC stuff.

Saw a 22" LG for like $219... Can get a Hannspree 25" for $260 tho... Prolly be sorry haha...

Comment

I have all acer and hannsg cheapies and they all work fine. Never had a problem with any of them. 3 hannsg 19" widescreens and 2 acer regular 19". Just get the cheapest one from newegg or buy.com. They are all pretty much the same these days.

Comment

If I buy a Roland VS2000/2400/2480, I'll get another monitor. I always ask my dad first before I spend anything on computer stuff tho, because he obtains it free.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Not talking monitors, but if I buy a big screen, I'll spend the extra on a "quality" brand name.

These companies make TV's like disposable BIC lighters these days.

Comment

Yeah, thousand dollar BIC lighters, haha

Comment

I like my 22" HP widescreen. The 19" Dell is a great one as well. Both have great response time and brightness. Both have powered USB 2.0 ports as well.

There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

+1 on the Dells. We've had one (19") for over 2 years at probably 6 hours of use a day and it still works and looks as good as the day we got it.
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,
                  I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I've used Acer's forever and have had no problems
                    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

My Samsung is approaching the two year mark and it is used almost constantly. It still looks great and we have had no issues. I would buy another without thinking twice.

Comment

It appears the some of the Acers I was looking at, are actually made by Samsung. Samsung are certainly leaders in the mid range LCD television world as far as bang for buck for sure. I've been a fan of them for some time.

Thanks much for all the input guys.

I need to think of some electrical protection. I figure in the last 10 yrs, I've lost over a grand in misc equipment to electrical issues.

Comment

Don't you use surge protectors?

I got an HP W1907 from WalMart for just over $200 a while back. Not a bad monitor at all. Beats the 15" KDS I had before (though the biggest problem it had was the power button cap fell off the button on the board and into the housing - had to use a JazzIII to turn it on and off )
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My brother just bagged a 22 inch for under $300 the other day- I sent him an email asking which one it was. He researched it pretty well, being a major computer dork, and was totally psyched to get it at that price (off Amazon if you can believe that). I'll shoot ya a PM when he gets back to me.

He mentioned that going 24 is a bad idea right now because (and I'm probably getting this wrong) the vidcards or games aren't set up to run right on them.

Vass

Comment

There are only two or three companies that actually make LCD panels, so chances are that the panel in the Hanns G is the same as the panel in the Dell. Buy based on features, not on cost or brand name and you'll be fine.

Here's a recent roundup that Anandtech did: http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3480
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X