Starting CompTIA+ class in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting CompTIA+ class in January

Yeah, figured I build/repair these gad damned things enough, might as well start getting certified......better pay....plus work is footing all the expenses.

Anyone have any input or advice?-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

I got my comptia a+ certification in 2001 back when you still had to know DOS commands to pass it. I think most employers view it as a baseline certification in lieux of experience. Microsoft or Cisco certifications tend to have more pay value.

All in all comptia is a good start for certifications.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yeah, I have to take it before I move onto MS and all the other high paying certifications.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I think the A+ and Network+ count as one test in the MCSA, at least it did a few years ago. I have Network+. Gonna start studying for CCNA
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I don't know if it still is. I am kinda stoked. I feel I know a fair amount about PC and basic networking, but, I know there is tons more that I need/want to learn. And since this is something I like to do and I am not just doing it in hopes to make money, I figure that learning won't be too hard for me.-Lou

Comment

I was reading the coursework, and I'd bet you know most of the hands on stuff already. Quite a bit of stuff in there I don't really see as needed to do most of what you would do.

Good luck man, you'll walk right through it.

Comment

A+, Good to have as a stepping stone into other things for sure. Just don't stop there.

I am doing a 180 career change right now.
              Just completed Cisco Networking Academy myself, one class from finishing an A.A.S. in Networking Technology.
              Already CCNA, ready for CCNP test, just got to make a solid review and schedule the tests. Then I get to play the game looking for a foot in the employment door, or continue on with more school. Local Tech school now has option to transfer entire 2yr degree credits to ECU for B.S. completely online. Hmmm, might do it.

Jack, if you are interested, Wake Tech has a pretty damn good Cisco program and decent lab. Especially the CCNP teacher. Ex Drill Sgt, telecom/network retiree who will punish you through Cisco's bibles down to every conceivable bit in a network packet (it seemed lol) Good guy. Quality labwork that leaves no packet unturned, as well as in depth console syntax and concepts.

They do have their own cert program (just the Cisco core classes - 4 CCNA, 4 CCNP) that will prep you for testing unless you care to follow the whole A.A.S. networking degree. Or just get the Exam Cert Guides and read read read.

Really need a lab to play with tho.
              I decided to put forth an extra mile and built a hefty one at home capable of any protocol, voip, wireless, sniffing, etc. Became a new expensive GAS addiction, trying to acquire new equipment.

I grew up playing with DOS as well. Sucks cause I squandered too many years before motivating. Eh, better late than never.

So far, 7 routers, 5 switches, 3 hubs, patchbay, wireless AP, tons of cabling, enough junk computers + virtual machines to create globs of traffic. Could use a few more, but really got all I need to play with any labwork. Any more and I'll trip the shitty breaker in my apt.

And lastly, since I've been completely AFK from guitar playing, note the Furman PL8 (top) and PL8-Plus (bottom) being used as power distribution LOL

Thought about the MS route, but my Server '03 admin class just gave me a headache, mostly due to the teacher and lame coursework.
              Good luck to ya Lou, jump on it.

01010010 01101111 01100011 01101011 00100000 01001110 00100000 01010010 01101111 01101100 01101100

Comment

My A+ got my career started with a local telecom company. It'd lead to something pretty damn good.

Reading texts = boring and not so helpful, go find the practice tests and hammer away on them for a few days. That's how I passed. Knowing lots is one thing, but studying questions makes it a lot easier to sort what information is common on the tests.

Its pretty easy, but dont take it for granted!!! Both tests can be failed, and do require a little prep work!

Comment

Also note certs can't replace real world experience. It's a good way in and to show you are a self starter, as long as you can show you keep getting them and learning. I interview a lot of people that have a long list of certs but have never held an IT job and they usually demand top dollar. A few of them have even told me 'my teacher told me with these I can get this much salary and I won't take any less'. We refer to these applicants as paper engineers, they memorized all the test answers but can't apply any of it to a working environment and want to start as a senior level employee. They rarely get called back except for entry level positions, which get refused due to pay scale. In IT experience usually counts as more then certs and there are a lot of people out there that have been doing it for 10, 15, even 20 years. If you want to be a server guy go learn at least at a base level how a network works, if you want to be a network guy go learn how a server works. A lot of problems exist in the data center because nobody knows anything about what the other guys do. I've worked with many MCSE's over the years that can't explain how routing works and CCNA's that blocked ports for unsafe protocols without understanding the impact to the servers or even the business. Get the certs, get the job, and find the experienced people that are the brains of the IT organization, of which there are usually only a handful of that really understand how everything works together, and go into sponge mode to learn everything you can from about all aspects of IT - including how it benefits the business. That step usually gets missed, IT exists to support the business and make it more productive, safer, easier, more cost effective. Don't just deliver whiz bang solutions, deliver whiz bang solutions that benefit the business. And congrats on starting down the path, IT is a fun career but you can never stop learning or you will be passed very very quickly.

Comment

Audiophile, Rock and Roll to you too.-Lou

Comment

I've never heard of CompTIA+. Is it like CCNA or MCSE?

FWIW, if I were in a hiring position I would definitely place experience higher than a certification. There are lots of things that you just can't teach.
                      Scott

Comment

No doubt, but, its hard to even get an entry level without some certs. Plus, work is footing the bill 100%. I could finish my BS in Business Management, but, thats another 2 1/2 to 3 years. I can get certs faster and playing the odds, will make more money in the big picture of things.-Lou

Comment

If work is paying then definitely do it. Any cert is better than none, but like others have mentioned nothing beats experience. Having a cert usually shows that you're willing to put in the time to learn and expand your knowledge in the field. I would suggest not stopping with the CompTIA and go into CCNA/CCNP certs.

Comment

Working...
                          X