X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime=punishment? Not in L.A.

WTF is wrong with Kalifornistan???

BY MARY MITCHELL Sun-Times Columnist
    Should incarcerated juveniles be allowed to attend the inaugural celebration?

The possibility has some correctional officers at a California detention center in an uproar.

"This is a recession and there are kids running around L.A. without shoes," said an irate worker who asked for anonymity.

"But they are flying criminals to Washington for the inauguration. It's ridiculous."

After the three were convicted of a home invasion in which an elderly woman was beaten, they were sent to the juvenile residential treatment camp known as Camp Afflerbaugh in LaVerne, Calif.

Its Web site describes the camp as a facility that "provides intensive intervention."

"The goal of the program is to reunify the minor and family, to reintegrate the minor into the community and to assist the minor in achieving a productive, crime free life," the Web site says.

'Rewarding bad behavior'
    The correctional officer I spoke with said fellow officers are disappointed that the Los Angeles probation department would even consider sending any of the juveniles to Washington.

"The juveniles committed a violent crime," the correctional officer said. "What we are doing is rewarding bad behavior."

Camp Afflerbaugh falls under the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles County Probation Department, the largest probation department in the world.

A man who answered the phone at the camp on Friday referred me to the L.A. Detention Services Bureau, but not before denying that the inaugural plans were a done deal.

"We talked about it in a meeting, but nothing has been finalized," he said.

Phone calls to the L.A. Detention Services Bureau on this matter were not returned by late Friday.

But another employee with the facility claimed that on Thursday, the minors were taken to be measured for tuxedos and that a judge has approved the trip.

"I can't believe that they would do that for three criminals who assaulted an old lady in her home," he said.

When it comes to rehabilitating juveniles, there are two schools of thought.

Some of us believe that when minors commit crimes, they should be incarcerated and treated like adult criminals.

Others are more compassionate, trusting that through counseling and education, a young criminal's crooked path can be straightened.

"The general idea of sending at-risk youth for them to have an opportunity to be part of this historic occasion of Obama's inaugural is, of course, a fantastic one," noted Susan Dvorak McMahon, an associate professor in DePaul University's Department of Psychology.

"Often, they don't get these types of opportunities, and I think Barack Obama epitomizes a hope that you can have a different future."

Because it is not clear how the juveniles were selected for the honor, McMahon was hesitant about commenting on this particular case.

But she understood the frustration that some people might feel.

"I wouldn't necessarily want to reward kids who have committed a crime," she said. "But there are a lot of kids who are at risk who could benefit from this. There are lots of kids to choose from."

Indeed.

Needy will be 'honored guests'
    That's why the altruism of Earl Stafford, the founder of a very successful technology company in Virginia, is being talked about across the country.

Stafford announced last Thursday that he plans to invite disadvantaged people -- including wounded soldiers -- to D.C. for the inauguration.

He bought a $1 million inauguration ball package from the JW Marriott Hotel and plans to stage two balls -- a youth ball on Inauguration Day, as well as a "People's Inaugural Ball."

"There will be those who are distressed and underserved mingling with people who aren't so," Stafford told the Washington Post.

"The needy will be our honored guests. That's who inspired us."

The once-in-a-lifetime event to install Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States is expected to draw up to 5 million people from all over the world.

Officials at Camp Afflerbaugh may simply be trying to inspire three troubled juveniles.

Still, there's no way to give these youngsters this incredible experience without sending the wrong message to their disadvantaged peers who have played by the rules.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchel...itch07.article

I am not surprised.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
      I am not surprised.
      Me neither... that is ridiculous, though.

Comment

Can't we just vote Kali off the island?

And we wonder why the country is in the crapper...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post

Unfortunately not , California is and has been one of the most democratic states (fact - not implying anything ,,, yet).Now we as the American people , have put all of our polictical power in the hands of the democrats.(Just as was done to the republican party post 9-11 /how'd that work out ?)

this is the dawn of a new world order .Like it or not.Look for much more of this in the future ,hehehehe ,I would'nt be surprised if (these poor children that were unduly and irreperably scarred and branded with a scarlet letter ,from the insidious actions of that old lady)wern't pardoned and made into some new form of public outreach !!!!

Anyway enjoy Christmas (or whatever you may celebrate) then the innaugeration ,because my friends .........

Read this thread , read Bill Z's thread - things are not getting better !!!!
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I hear ya bro.... We're doomed...

Comment

Disgraceful.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

That's a freakin' joke.

Here's more stuff that gets my goat. The guy named Mr. Milner in the first article is an amazing math teacher at my school. I really agree with what he says about marks and competition. I have a little group in math that I always try and beat even though I never do.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Gettin...300/story.html

To me, this is just allowing people to not try and still pass. Reward mediocrity. They say that marks don't tell you anything. I don't get why they don't just make the comment section on report cards bigger if that is needed.

Here's another one:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/t...790/story.html

She didn't pay any of the fines against her for her loose dogs so they get impounded. What does she expect? If she can't take care of her dogs she doesn't deserve them. I mean, yes, putting them down was harsh but if she couldn't afford to get them back would she have if they were alive? I've had a couple of dogs and I know that bylaws say to keep them in an enclosed space (A fenced in yard). I think it's ridiculous that they payed $6500 because a lady can't take care of her dogs.
                "Dear Dr. Bill,
                I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post

that's a brilliant idea... it will do wonders to the US economy
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Cali and NY need to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      that's a brilliant idea... it will do wonders to the US economy

Our Estonian expert on US economy, hahaha...

Comment

Well, California is 15% of our population and probably 25% or more of our economic production, so Endrik is right about that. Get rid of California and the Northeast just to divest yourself of liberals and you get a drastically weakened country. That would just be silly, especially right now.

This story is ridiculous and disgusting though. It would be nice if Obama made a statement saying this idea is inappropriate and he would prefer them to not show up, but that's not likely considering his own background.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                          Well, California is 15% of our population and probably 25% or more of our economic production, so Endrik is right about that. Get rid of California and the Northeast just to divest yourself of liberals and you get a drastically weakened country. That would just be silly, especially right now.

This story is ridiculous and disgusting though. It would be nice if Obama made a statement saying this idea is inappropriate and he would prefer them to not show up, but that's not likely considering his own background.
                          I hate to disagree with you again Rich, because I agree with you the majority of the time, but....

That 25% that Cali and the NW contributed went up in smoke because it was BS.
                          Look at financials >25% of the money is gone, and most of this was "made" in Cali and NY. Coincidence, or the shell game collapsing.

Imagine this, I beg 25k off of you. I invest it. It goes up to 50k. I say, wow! That was easy, then spend 40k in hopes that the remaining 10k will yield your 25k back. It doesn't, it goes to 8k. Then I come back to you and say. Sorry I lost your money, but man I doubled your money aren't I productive? BTW, can I borrow 25k? That's Cali 4 U.
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Didn't say he wasn't exactly right to a large extent... Any 5th grader knows what value Kali holds economically for the US. They're certainly important. Home to almost 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and is home to our technology base really.

Like 442 says tho, lotsa smoke and mirrors there too...

Their laws and government are still friggin crazy.

Comment

Hahah not the angry confused white guy rant again!

Hell why not? Back in my day..........blah............ and that's why the world can go to hell for all I care!

Don't worry Cali will always be here to make you feel better about wheresoever you live!

Comment

Working...
                              X