Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Else Getting Ready for Secular, Non-Denominational Holiday Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a very good attitude and mature outlook Ben. You're my 16 year old adopted son..

Poppa Bubz

aka..Poppa Chubby
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

christmas is cool and shit but a lot of people make it to be the only way to spend time with their family. I don't need no friggin' holiday to spend time with my close ones.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Jesus couldn't have been born in 4 A.D. - A. D. means Anno Domini - year of our Lord. According to the Gregorian calendard, He would have to have been born on the first day of the first month of 1 A.D., for very obvious reasons. Start of a new Era, etc etc.

It was calculated back by religious scholars sometime in the Middle Ages, because the Hebrews did not accept Him as the Savior they had been praying for. And yes it was placed at December 25th to overshadow non-Christian rituals celebrating the Winter Solstice. While many of these celebrations were centered around giving thanks for basic necessities during the Winter months - food, shelter, promise of Spring rather than being doomed to another Ice Age, the deities that were given the praise were not the Hebrew/Christian God Jehova, but figures such as wood nymphs and such. The Catholic church did it as a Political offensive.

That's one of the many gripes I have with the Catholic church, along with the whole "Saints" and "Virgin Mary" business, but that's an entirely different discussion.

For the current discussion, I say Merry Christmas. If no one likes it for whatever reason and I ruin their end-of-December-experience, I really don't care. In fact, I hope I do ruin it for them. I get things I disagree with thrown in may face on a daily basis, and for someone to feel I don't have the same right is not only insulting, it's absolutely childish. I disagree with gay marriage, you disagree with Merry Christmas. You throw your "gay rights" in my face, I throw my freedom of religion in yours. It's a fair trade. To claim exclusivity to the "right of offense" is a sure way to get back double whatever you put out
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Jesus couldn't have been born in 4 A.D. - A. D. means Anno Domini - year of our Lord. According to the Gregorian calendard, He would have to have been born on the first day of the first month of 1 A.D., for very obvious reasons. Start of a new Era, etc etc.

It was calculated back by religious scholars sometime in the Middle Ages, because the Hebrews did not accept Him as the Savior they had been praying for. And yes it was placed at December 25th to overshadow non-Christian rituals celebrating the Winter Solstice. While many of these celebrations were centered around giving thanks for basic necessities during the Winter months - food, shelter, promise of Spring rather than being doomed to another Ice Age, the deities that were given the praise were not the Hebrew/Christian God Jehova, but figures such as wood nymphs and such. The Catholic church did it as a Political offensive.

That's one of the many gripes I have with the Catholic church, along with the whole "Saints" and "Virgin Mary" business, but that's an entirely different discussion.

For the current discussion, I say Merry Christmas. If no one likes it for whatever reason and I ruin their end-of-December-experience, I really don't care. In fact, I hope I do ruin it for them. I get things I disagree with thrown in may face on a daily basis, and for someone to feel I don't have the same right is not only insulting, it's absolutely childish. I disagree with gay marriage, you disagree with Merry Christmas. You throw your "gay rights" in my face, I throw my freedom of religion in yours. It's a fair trade. To claim exclusivity to the "right of offense" is a sure way to get back double whatever you put out
          Well stated Newc!

Merry Christmas and a Happy Fuckin' New Year!

Comment

Along this line of discussion, today a stuffed shirt manager sent out an email discussing an upcoming "Holiday" potluck for our business unit. A wordy email to be sure, at least four or five paragraphs. He managed very well to sanitize it for our consumption, using "Holiday" with grand flourish. Sadly he named the attachment, Business Transformation Christ.doc!

Dio has no problem saying Christ! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJRq3Y9Seo
            "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
            Zakk Wylde

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSkull View Post

Dio has no problem saying Christ! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJRq3Y9Seo
              well I think a father isn't ashamed to call his son by his name... you know Dio is god in Italian
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                well I think a father isn't ashamed to call his son by his name... you know Dio is god in Italian
                Yes Dio Dammit!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                  Ha ha that's awesome, I did not know that.
                  "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                  Zakk Wylde

Comment

NEWC, you're a fag!

..and Merry Christmas!!!

Hail Santa!!!

Comment

Originally posted by endrik View Post
                      aren't the japanese the only ones who are celebrating it the right way... A holiday to celebrate jesus' birthday... No santa, christmas tree etc. But birthday hats, birthday cake and the stuff?

melly chlistmas, mr rawlence!!

Melly chlistmas mr rawlence!!
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Very interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw ..

Comment

wow

Comment

Ah yes, Zeitgeist. I don't think I've seen that one but I saw the one on the US Federal Reserve. Interesting stuff though I take it, like everything, with a grain of salt.
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

You have to admit the whole "Gods Sun" thing was a trip. and how many people before Jesus was born on Dec. 25th, of a virgin, three kings, yaddda yadda yadda? They forgot to tell all of us that in sunday school.

Comment

Working...
                              X