Help, electronic gurus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, electronic gurus.

Ok, Ive got a burned out surface mount resistor that reads 9R1. From what Ive been able to find this is a 9.1 ohm resistor. Is that right? Im gonna replace it with a big clunky old 1/2 watt resistor because Ive got tons of room to make this fix and dont have any smr's laying around. 9.1 seems to be an odd number. Ive got 10 ohm, 5% resistors. I was gonna use that. This circuit supplies 24v to a water valve solenoid. I dont think the slight difference will matter much to it. Does any of this sound right? Its either this or spend $75 bucks on a new humidistat for my furnace humidifier. Is 9R1 a 9 ohm resistor?

Last edited by Carbuff; 11-24-2008, 03:07 AM.

Well the problem is more why the resistor is burned out in the first place. Could be that you have a short and too much current than designed is going through the resistor. That will make the new one burn too. So you really should check for the cause of the problem.
    Just because the resistor died doesn't mean it's the source of the problem but maybe just the "weakest link".

And yes 9R1 normally is 9.1 ohms.

Flo
    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I know why the resistor blew. The 2 sensor wires got shorted and there was a spark. So I removed the board to inspect it for damage and found the resistor right from the trace that comes from the sensor mount screw. Everything works fine on the stat except for the 24 volts. It reads on the meter but under load it fails. Thanks again for the quick response.

Comment

Working...
      X