I have tennis elbow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have tennis elbow.

This sucks. I have tennis elbow in my right arm. I don't even play tennis!

My doctor tells me I shouldn't play guitar, or do anything else that requires gripping with my right hand. I guess I can always jerk off with my left hand. He says it could be gone in a couple of weeks, or it could be a lot longer.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I had tennis elbow a couple of decades ago. It was from repetitive lifting of items using mostly the forearms rather than the whole arm or body. Glad I don't work at that job anymore!

It does take a while to heal up, but playing the guitar while I was healing didn't aggravate it at all. Just sitting and playing in your bedroom or living room, that is. Stay away from live gig, guitar hero antics though.
    G.

Comment

Hey, you can always pretend like Andrew Dice Clay said. Jerk off with your left hand and pretend it's that inexperienced chick from high school!

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
        My doctor tells me I shouldn't play guitar
        Any activity that can cause additional inflammation to the region should be discontinued until the doctor or physical therapist releases you from their care. Even then, you may be advised to limit your activities or even instructed in how to do things differently to prevent further problems.
        "POOP"

Comment

Welcome to old age!

I've had it in my right elbow forever, unless you want to completely shut it down, it will always come back in one form or another.

The way I deal with it is 1) use my left thumb to massage the inner right elbow and "break up" the tightness/calcification that I have in there from time to time, and 2) if it hurts, ice it and take an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen/Advil works best for me, and damages my renal system less than stronger stuff - important info for the drinkers out there:ROTF.

My left elbow is worse - pinched ulnar nerve that makes my pinky and ring finger numb all the time - really sucks, but the only thing I can do now is get an operation to move the nerve out of the channel that goes through my elbow...something I get to live with, whoopee!
          Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
            Any activity that can cause additional inflammation to the region should be discontinued until the doctor or physical therapist releases you from their care. Even then, you may be advised to limit your activities or even instructed in how to do things differently to prevent further problems.
            Absolutely.
            I have some experience in ergonomic study in industry.
            It may sound off the wall, but B complex vitamin therapy could help.
            I can't prescribe anything, but it might be worth a shot to look it up.
            Don't go overboard, it can have some serious consequences.

But...first, lay off.
            Change your routine.

Comment

So do I... but I can't get rid of it... Maybe when I go on vacation it will heal being a mechanic and doing a lot of lefty loosy and righty tighty doesn't help.
              2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
              2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
              2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
              2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
              2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
              2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
              2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
              2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
              2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
              1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
              1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

yeah i got that this week from work, elbow is sore as hell, can play med light guitar without feeling it, but not down chunk fast stuff, then i feels it.
                another thing that's just started happening is i get random pain in my hands for no reason at all but my left hand seems fine for now, playing doesn't cause any pain, it's just random pain whenever during the day, i'm practically favoring my hands anymore which is kinda tough when i don't want to even try to open a jar of peanut butter for fear of some snapping noise from my hand or wrist. :/

Comment

My doc gave me a bunch of Celebrex for free. It's an anti-inflammatory, and is supposed to be the shit for joint pain. It's been doing a damn fine job so far. The pain is drastically reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    My doc gave me a bunch of Celebrex for free. It's an anti-inflammatory, and is supposed to be the shit for joint pain. It's been doing a damn fine job so far. The pain is drastically reduced.
                    It's also a med of last resort if you have heart disease or risk factors for heart disease like obesity or a cigarette smoker. I don't know if you have such risks but I know doctors don't always tell you so I thought I'd mention it.

I've had 'em try to give me meds that had deadly interactions with meds I was already on, and they just go "Oh.... well we'll try this instead".

YOU have to know because a lot of these docs are just pimping whatever the pharma salesman dropped off and is offering perks if they push it.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                      It's also a med of last resort if you have heart disease or risk factors for heart disease like obesity or a cigarette smoker. I don't know if you have such risks but I know doctors don't always tell you so I thought I'd mention it.

I've had 'em try to give me meds that had deadly interactions with meds I was already on, and they just go "Oh.... well we'll try this instead".

YOU have to know because a lot of these docs are just pimping whatever the pharma salesman dropped off and is offering perks if they push it.
                      I'm in Canada remember. The docs don't get perks from prescribing drugs here.

Fortunately, I don't have any of those risks, and I quit smoking over a year ago. I'm also lucky that my wife is a nurse, and is completely up to date on her meds.

Comment

zeegs is like a lab rat, anyways.
                        It would take triple dosage of anything to even make him aware he took anything at all.

Comment

Good luck with that ,Zeegler.I've been unable to play for about 2 weeks(sucks) -I've been trying to compose in my head ,then write out in notation.Should be a cool experience ,anyhow hope you have a speedy recovery !!!
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by cygnus x1 View Post
                            zeegs is like a lab rat, anyways.
                            It would take triple dosage of anything to even make him aware he took anything at all.

Comment

mmm... a shot of cortisone

Comment

Working...
                              X