Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When "departing" bandmates just don't get it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When "departing" bandmates just don't get it.

After a gig back in September, our drummer and bassist had a major blow-out that resulted in the bassist leaving the venue and calling me shortly afterward to say that he was leaving in the band. It happened in front of several people, and just barely stopped short of physical violence. This guy's sense of humor and tendency to "one-up" people when discussing virtually any topic rubbed the rest of us the wrong way, and he was always first to point out other members' mistakes in practice, and he finally pushed all the wrong buttons in sequence. Needless to say, when he announced that he was quitting, nobody exactly protested. However, knowing that both guys are pretty hotheaded in confrontations, I waited until I thought things had cooled down to talk with each of them separately, to see if there was any chance of mending fences. The bassist absolutely wanted to backtrack and patch things up, but our drummer said "hell no," which sealed the deal as far as any long-term plans were concerned. We reached a compromise, where the bassist would play one last show with us (last Saturday) and record his remaining parts for our next album.

Well, apparently this no longer is good enough for him, or he thinks the rest of us have short memories, because last night he called to ask if we had any more shows scheduled. When I said that we didn't, he said to make sure to let him know when we did. I pointed out that I didn't think that was going to work out if multiple people (mostly the drummer, but everyone to some extent) didn't really want to keep playing with him, which he didn't seem to grasp, eventually leaving me no choice but to do something I didn't want to . . .

. . . which was to tell him that we would never be able to find a replacement drummer of the same caliber, but that we could gig without a bassist (as we did for two years) and I could record bass tracks for future albums if we didn't find anyone by then. I mean, it took an hour to get to that point, but he just kept using words like "we" and "us" when discussing future plans. He seemed completely dumbfounded by this, and then tried to point out the personality quirks of everyone else, overlooking the fact that he quit in the first place. Admittedly, he is the most dedicated member of the band in terms of practicing and making time to work on things, and he has good stage presence, but his personality just clashes with everyone. Not just band members either, but everyone.

I'm still just shaking my head 16+ hours later, thinking how much easier it would have been to kick him out months ago when things started getting unpleasant. At least I talked him out of spending thousands of dollars on gear over the course of the past three years, sensing that his time with us would end sooner rather than later.
    sigpic

Can't relate to that exactly, but I can vouch that there are definitely people who "get" messages via fairly subdued communication....then there are other people who don't "get" anything unless you verbally whack them upside the head with a sledgehammer. I manage people at my workplace and it can be frustrating. I try to be suttle and nice, but with some people it just doesn't work and you see they are out in left field. You continue to try to get your message across and see it going knowwhere. Finally, you verbally sledgehammer them, then they finally get it.....but also get upset. I guess different personalities are what make the world go around.

Comment

Wow. That makes it hard. Guy just won't give up and move on, after he quit the band.

Comment

I see you already removed him from your website.
        That should get the message accross.

Comment

I see your two and raise it three
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
            last night he called to ask if we had any more shows scheduled. When I said that we didn't, he said to make sure to let him know when we did.
            I'd do that, and let him know the ticket price if he wanted to go see you guys play.
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
              I see you already removed him from your website.
              That should get the message accross.
              Heh, I thought about that, but no . . . he just wasn't in the band yet when our old promo photos were taken. I am trying to figure out how to list him in the credits of the next album though. Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I stumble to it.
              sigpic

Comment

Been there done that.

Just read this

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80068

and this
                http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86669

and this.
                http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86850

Ade, completely trashed at our Singer's birthday party, when this picture was taken he actually was passed out on a lawnchair, passed out with his eyes open but completely unresponsive. It wouldn't be the last time that we saw him in that state.

Comment

Believe me, Blazer, your posts were fresh in my mind!
                  sigpic

Comment

This is why I require all my band members to adhere to a strict dress code and cut their hair short. It helps prevent personality clashes since it kills their individuality and allows me to really shine and stand out on stage since those rules dont apply to me.

This is also why I dont have a band.

Comment

Heeeeeeeeeey, you need a bass player, Ade's looking for a new band now too, this could work out great for everyone! (Most of all, us, reading this!)
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Dude that was the funniest thing I've read all week! man, im in fuckin stitches right now dude!.....you might not have a band but you have all the silver in fort knox!

C

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                        This is why I require all my band members to adhere to a strict dress code and cut their hair short. It helps prevent personality clashes since it kills their individuality and allows me to really shine and stand out on stage since those rules dont apply to me.

This is also why I dont have a band.

Comment

I only ever refused to play with one guy, back in the early stages of my working cover band, but he was impossible and a total prick, and he just couldn't reign it in. good player and singer too but he was such an asshole and a spotlight hog and a reminder and wrong on most practice-related issues, that I refused to play with him, and that has never happened before or since. the others agreed but I was the one who put my foot down.

there's been times it didn't work out for whatever reason but this guy just made people hate him. funny.
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                            I only ever refused to play with one guy, back in the early stages of my working cover band, but he was impossible and a total prick, and he just couldn't reign it in. good player and singer too but he was such an asshole and a spotlight hog and a reminder and wrong on most practice-related issues, that I refused to play with him, and that has never happened before or since. the others agreed but I was the one who put my foot down.

there's been times it didn't work out for whatever reason but this guy just made people hate him. funny.

You are not the only person who has refused to work with Don Dokken.
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X