Funny USAF jokes and lingo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny USAF jokes and lingo

For somebody who has a healthy interrest in everything that flies I learned about certain lingo used by airforce pilots and I figured it to be funny to put some of it down.

This is a Northop "SNARK" missile
    This was one of the first serious attempts at making an unmanned aircraft that would guide itself onto the designated target, the crude autopilot would guide the thing by means of navigating by homing in on a large bright star and using that to determine a straight level flight to the target zone. It worked well in simulated tests but in practice the forces of launching the thing threw the computer off balance and once airborne, the missile would fly too fast for the computer to even get a hold on the star it was supposed to guide itself on. As a result many of the missiles which were tested at Cape Canaveral landed in the sea soon after they were launched. Eventually when the plug on the project was pulled, so many Missiles were lost that the crews on Cape Canaveral joked that the waters were "SNARK infested"

This is a Curtiss SB2C "helldiver" bomber.
    The Helldiver was meant to replace the aging Douglas Dauntless bomber on american aircraft carriers but it quickly proved a dog. The helldiver had a notoriously stubborn attitude which was a far contrast from the forgiving nature and easy to fly character of the Dauntless. Many Helldiver pilot lost their lives by just trying to land the aircraft. In which the pilots who survived the ordeal joked that "SB2C" stood for "Son of a Bitch Second Class"

A common joke is the so called "Colonel's landing" in which they take on the highest rank which a flying officer can have: Colonel. The joke is about a colonel spending more time behind his desk than in the cockpit of his aircraft so he gets out of practice after a while. And the joke is "The higher the rank, the worse the landing."

Haha, pilots get bored sometimes, I guess. "Son of a bitch second class"... :ROTF:

Got anything else, man? That's pretty funny.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I've always liked this quote taken from a sign over the entrance to the SR-71 "habu" operations site at Kadena AFB in Okinawa.
      "Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil - For I am at 80,000 feet and Climbing."

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
        Haha, pilots get bored sometimes, I guess. "Son of a bitch second class"... :ROTF:

Got anything else, man? That's pretty funny.
        Okay then, the SB2C also was mentioned in a re-written version of "My Bonny"

"My Body lies under the ocean
        My Body lies under the sea
        My Body lies under the ocean
        Wrapped up in an SB2C"

Really shows you how fond they were of their aircraft, won't you agree?

Anyway here's some more.

This is a Douglas A3D Skywarrior carrier borne Bomber.
        The Skywarrior was one of the largest aircraft to operate from aircraft carriers and enjoyed a reputation for being dependable and easy to fly. HOWEVER the Skywarrior also had a very nasty shortcoming: it did not come with ejection seats and in a state of emergency, the three man crew had to bail out from a small hatch in the roof of the cockpit which was notoriously difficult get out of. And thus gave the Skywarrior the reputation of being a flying casket for three and the crews joked that "A3D" stood for "All three dead"

An A3D Skywarrior with the escape hatch open, can you imagine trying to get out of this while the aircraft is going down?

These are Republic P47 Thunderbolts.
        The thought behind the Thunderbolt was that if lightweight materials made for a fast aircraft, then having a big aircraft with the most powerful engine they could find would also do the trick. Nicknamed the "Jug" because of the big rotund fuselage, the P47 made quite an impression on the Brittish pilots when the American Eighth airforce brought them in in 1943. With the Thunderbolt being much higher and longer than a Spitfire, the brittish pilots joked that their American collegues would hide inside that huge bulking fuselage when being attacked.
        Last edited by Blazer; 11-03-2008, 06:43 AM.

Comment

If I recall correctly, nothing was faster in a dive than the P47.
          That was one of the ways they would get away from smaller/lighter planes, just nose over into a dive... if the other planes tried to follow/keep up, their wings would eventually rip off, and the P47 pilot would just pull up and recover at the end. HA!
          Pretty sure I read that somewhere...
          This was one of the first model airplanes I ever built... I love these!!!
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
            If I recall correctly, nothing was faster in a dive than the P47.
            Except for a Peregrine Falcon. Yep, a bird thats faster than a plane. In fact I read somwhere that the Pergrine Falcon is faster than an F-15 in a dive! Now THAT is amazing!
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

And if you've ever seen a peregrine "stoop", it will take your breath away. Truly amazing creatures.

Even the lowly kestrel can dive at serious speed. I watched one diving for a lure at a game fair that was being dropped out of a balloon. The kestrel went for it at an incredible speed, took it just, and I mean just, before it hit the ground, and most impressive of all, pulled out and away without crashing. I had followed the lure as it fell and couldn't believe there was no crash, the crowd all gasped because we had all assumed the bird was not going to even get the lure, let alone take the lure and recover, all in the blink of an eye.

Erm, sorry, thread hijack!!! Carry on, as you were...........
              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Lol!
                --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                  And if you've ever seen a peregrine "stoop", it will take your breath away. Truly amazing creatures.

Even the lowly kestrel can dive at serious speed. I watched one diving for a lure at a game fair that was being dropped out of a balloon. The kestrel went for it at an incredible speed, took it just, and I mean just, before it hit the ground, and most impressive of all, pulled out and away without crashing. I had followed the lure as it fell and couldn't believe there was no crash, the crowd all gasped because we had all assumed the bird was not going to even get the lure, let alone take the lure and recover, all in the blink of an eye.

Well not completely, Rolls Royce named their aeroplane engines after those birds of prey.

The Rolls Royce Peregrine

The Rolls Royce Kestrel.

Of the two the Kestrel was the more succeful powering aircraft such as the Hawker Nimrod and the first spitfire prototype. Bizarrely enough, it was also the powerplant of the very first Messerschmitt 109 fighter.

And in a bizarre twist of faith, the last version of the Messerschmitt was also powered by a Rolls Royce engine which was also named after a bird of prey: the Merlin.

A Spanish built Hispano Ha1112 "Buchon" (Dove) which essentially is a Me 109G-6 with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

Comment

I totally dig this shit... keep it coming boyz!!!
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Comment

Someone has to have a clipping of the story of the "solo-wing" F-15 landing. It's wing got sheered off in what I recall was a mid air collision and the pilot managed to safely land it. I think it was about 20 years ago is Israel or something.

And then the required para-troopers joke "They must be nuts, I mean why jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post

Cool info to know, thanks Sometimes man made stuff is really amazing but then what these animals are capable of doing naturally is just mind boggling.
                          On another note, I seem to recall a little bit from back in the 80's when one of the car mags, perhaps Hot Rod, did a story on Big Daddy Don Garlits' top fuel dragster vs. an F-16. Bid Daddy out accelerated the jet up to take off
                          Fast planes, fast cars, fast birds, they all rock!
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Airplane related.
                            One skilled(lucky) pilot.
                            http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...Pilotomago.flv

Comment

"Where's his right wing?!"
                              I lol'd. Wonder where it could be...
                              The people's reactions were getting rathe annoying second time watching it. But man, was that some sort of a bumpy landing or what? That man deserves a fucking medal. "Killa thrill" it was for him, definitely.
                              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Working...
                              X