Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for PC geeks

I'm confused about something:

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S4707 laptop - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...Specifications (first working link to specs I could find)

The spec sheet says Intel
    Core™ Duo Processor T2450
    o 2.00GHz, 2MB L2, 533MHz FSB

Checking my system properties, it says the same thing.

The sticker on the unit itself says Centrino Duo.

I put in 2 2GB ram sticks and stuff loads blazingly fast.

Surely this cpu is still just a Celeron at heart, right? I'm guessing the 533MHz FSB is the key indicator here, since my desktop has the 667MHz FSB? Even if the cpu has the 2MB L2 cache, it's the FSB more than the cpu?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Centrino is the mobile Celeron equivilent
    My music:
    www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

they're all basically heat reduction and power consumption measures

dropping the FSB lowers the heat output and power consumption
      My music:
      www.leonlive.co.uk

Comment

Technically, Centrino 2 refers to a platform, whereas Core 2 Duo is a processor and one of the components of Centrino 2.
        "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          I put in 2 2GB ram sticks and stuff loads blazingly fast.

Surely this cpu is still just a Celeron at heart, right? I'm guessing the 533MHz FSB is the key indicator here, since my desktop has the 667MHz FSB? Even if the cpu has the 2MB L2 cache, it's the FSB more than the cpu?
          Was it not loading stuff fast before adding the 2GB of RAM? If so, you probably just had too little RAM for the applications you were running. If you have too little RAM it will go to the hard disk more often, which slows everything down. I'm not sure if that's the question you were asking though
          "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Well, you are seeing a couple of things here. Like it was alluded to, you probably had barely enough RAM for Windows Vista to load itself. I find with Vista that 2GB of RAM is the baseline for acceptable performance. It will load with less but it swaps to the hard drive a LOT.

The other thing windows Vista does is something called pre-fetch. It looks at what software you tend to run at different times of the day and pre-loads the program into memory and essentially just waits for you to click the icon to launch it. So the more memory you have, the more Vista pre-fetches and the faster things appear to load.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
              Technically, Centrino 2 refers to a platform, whereas Core 2 Duo is a processor and one of the components of Centrino 2.
              I have about the same laptop. The processors are getting confusing, Centrino, Centrino Duo, Centrino 2, but the Centrino Duo will be a Core Duo based processor and 32 bit architecture as opposed to the 64 bit Centrino 2 which will either be a Core 2 Duo or a Core 2 Quad.

You should not look at these as Celerons as they are really not even in the same family especially having 2M of L2 cache.

Matt

Comment

Ah, I see.

So basically it's the entire chipset the cpu is sitting in? I can't swap out this chip for a "real" core 2 duo and turn a $600 laptop into a $1500 laptop performancewise?
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

You would need to see what the model of the motherboard is and then see what chip it can handle. Not an easy job to swap the processor of a laptop or do anything inside the laptop. Also, keep in mind that the difference between a $600 Laptop and a $1500 is not just the processor.

Comment

Also power consumption and heat play a large role in the laptop experience. CPU's are the main instigators of this in a laptop. If not adequately cooled, well, you'll have an xbox360 experience

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                      You would need to see what the model of the motherboard is and then see what chip it can handle. Not an easy job to swap the processor of a laptop or do anything inside the laptop. Also, keep in mind that the difference between a $600 Laptop and a $1500 is not just the processor.
                      Yep.
                      This is the most informative and helpful reply so far in this thread.
                      If nothing else gets said that qualifies as helpful or beneficial, remember what OnlineStageGear has replied. It will save you time and money. No need to say anymore because what has been said is all that needed to be said by OnineStageGear. This is the wisdom you need and the route you should take. From that direction and advice I would move.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Thanks.

This is the board:
                        http://www.intel.com/products/notebo...M-overview.htm

Seems no one is yet willing to open the affordable portable market to end-user upgrading like with desktops. Sad.

Comment

See, even Intel's info conflicts. The fist page just says Core and Core Duo. But if you click the "SUPPORT" tab and then "Identify Intel Processors that are compatible with your chipset", your chipset lists the Core 2 Duo. OK...... Then you need to know wether it is Socket M or is it Socket 479, but I am pretty sure it is socket M since the Socket 479 is a desktop version for that chipset. Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is big $$$. The Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz Socket M Chip is $300, 2.16 is $430, 2.3 is $645.

Maybe you can wait and see if the price drops on those, which they always do.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X