PS3 guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 guys

Hi, I think we've had every single gaming system known to man at my house. But not a ps3. I want to get my son one for Christmas. I can get a refurbed 40 gb model from ebay for $340 shipped and then I get $100 off with the live.com offer. Now, I know that the 40 gb models will not play the ps2 games, I dont care as Ive got a ps2. Is there anything wrong with the refurbs, anything else I need to know, pitfalls of the 40 gb systems, certain models to avoid, etc? Perhaps a better place to buy one and still get the live.com $100 rebate?

I have a 40GB model but I recently upgraded the hard drive to a 250GB as the 40GB was filling up fast. The 40GB ones have the newer chipset I believe, so they should run cooler/quieter.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have a 20GB because it has the PS2 HW in it but you said that's no big deal to you.
      The 20 and 60 have this, the 40 and 80 have Software emulation that works most of the time.

The 20GB is missing a few USB ports and WI-FI - but I use a wired the network and don't use that many ports. Upgrading the HD is a breeze to go to 250 as Hellbat stated.

I don't think refurbs are a big deal - PS3's seem a little more durable than the XBox360, but mine is a little loud. Who did the refurb? GameStop, someone like them, or Sony?
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I would not buy any refurbished Sony product, as everything by them refurb I bought wound up breaking a year later or going back. They had an outlet here at one time, but they wound up getting rid of it as the returns line was longer than the checkout line. The one thing I will say is if there are a few PS3 exclusive games you must have, go ahead and buy it. MGS4 comes to mind as will probably Killzone 2 and GT5 if it ever comes out. If your son is younger then I don't really know if there is anything exclusive to the PS3 (GT5 won't be out for another year and a half if that) But 95% of the catalog you can buy on the 360, often with more people to play online with and in some cases better frame rates.

Comment

Hellbat, thanks I didnt know that about the chipset. 442, so the 40 gb has the most usb and wifi, that cool. Charvekrocker, I'm a bit leary of the refurb thing too. Ive bought lots of refurb stuff and have had great luck with it. My son has an x-box360 and its technically a refurb as its been replaced once under warranty. My son is 18 and plays all sorts of games, especially shooters. Also Im thinking of the blue-ray player too. I mean, can I really go wrong for $240 shipped?

Comment

As a blueray player, it's one of the best and it's as cheap as a standalone player @ $240.
            I wouldn't think twice about it. The HD is most likely to fail on these, and you can replace it with any off the shelf drive that fits. I wouldn't sweat it. Restoring the system is a breeze.
            Be leary, but it's only $240 - a bargain nowadays as long as it works when you get it and you allow decent ventilation.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I have a PS3 40GB that I mostly use as a Blu-ray player and for media streaming. I use it as a game console the least. It's a nice unit. The 40GB (and new non-PS2 compatible 80GB) does indeed run cooler, has a quieter fan, and uses less electricity.

The bad news is that it appears the Ebay Live promo has been dropped to 20%....at least for most things I'm searching for.

Comment

I have a 60 gig launch system with built in wifi, backwards compatibility and the extra USB ports.

Comment

Get a used 60GB system on Ebay. It has the PS2 hardware chip built in and can be had for around 350 dollars.

The new 80GB PS3s have software PS2 emulation only no hardware chip.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                    The new 80GB PS3s have software PS2 emulation only no hardware chip.
                    If you're talking about the newest 80GB PS3s.....they don't even have PS2 emulation. They are the exact same as the 40GB except with an 80GB hard drive.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the info on this. So, all 40 gb systems are the newer ones and have built in wifi? Like I said I dont care much about playing ps2 games on it. Oh, and are the harddrives sata? And are they 2.5 or 3.5 form factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                        I have a PS3 40GB that I mostly use as a Blu-ray player and for media streaming. I use it as a game console the least. It's a nice unit. The 40GB (and new non-PS2 compatible 80GB) does indeed run cooler, has a quieter fan, and uses less electricity.

The bad news is that it appears the Ebay Live promo has been dropped to 20%....at least for most things I'm searching for.
                        Bad news is right. Just this morning it was all coming up 30%, and now its only 20. WTF??? I just lost $30 because I snoozed. Now Im pissed.

Comment

Eh, I got my 20GB for $300 out the door off of craigslist.
                          Honestly with the economy sucking balls, I'd comb CL for a 60GB with some extra games or controllers or maybe rock band/GHIII or something extra for ~$350. Odds are that there's some college kid, crackhead, or guy that needs to make the house payment local to you.

Comment

The drives are 2.5" sata. I think you are limited to a height of 9.5mm on the drive. that could be slightly off though. Google it and check youtube. There are lots of HD replacement tutorials out there and it is dead simple.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Cool info. I managed to get a 3 month old complete 40 gb system with the spiderman 3 movie for $240 after live cashback. The guy says that he bought it as a blueray player for his bedroom as hes already got an 80 gb unit in his family room on the bigscreen tv. He says he lost his job after hurricane ike and has to sell some stuff. So for $240 I get a like new ps3. Im kinda bummed about the 2.5 drive size though. Ive got a nice 120 gb sata drive just laying around but its 3.5. Oh, well, at least Ive got 1/3 of my christmas shopping done.

Comment

Working...
                              X