Audio Recording Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Recording Help

Hey, can any of you recommend some good FREE audio recording software? I've heard Audacity is good for basic stuff(Which is what I am looking for). I need it for a "tape test" for band class. You have to record yourself playing stuff and I've decided to get out of the 70's/80's technology of cassette tapes(I've used them for every other test) and get into more modern technology.

Also, any suggested recording techniques so it doesn't sound like crap? Keep in mind I'm using a super-cheap mic that came with my PC. I can't go get a good one because the music stores are all closed on Sundays.

Oh, I'll be recording saxophone if that's important at all.

Thanks in advance. I know you guys and gals will be helpful.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Audacity is fine I use it a lot myself.

If you're using a cheap mic, you will probably have to turn the input volume almost all of the way down in order to prevent clipping.

Comment

Really? I did that already because I wanted it to cut out some other stuff(My saxophone keys are sticky and it sounds bad so I lowered the volume and played louder). Thanks for the tip!
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Yeah unless you are playing very quietly you will need to mess with levels a bit.

Also make sure your sound card driver doesn't have any sort of "Microphone Boost" enabled.

Most cheapo mics are made to pick up sound at conversation volume but most instruments are way louder than that. The built-in mic on my laptop can actually record stuff at band volume if software boost is off and the input volume is at like 0.05

Comment

I like Audacity. It's pretty easy to use. I'm using a Toneport UX1 as my audio interface, and am running the line out from it directly to the line in of my soundcard. I have a fairly cheap desktop, but it works just fine for me. I don't have any lag problems, and it's even easy to record with backing tracks.

Comment

I got my band assignment done. Audacity is incredibly easy to use. I thought it would take me an hour or two to get used to it and get it working but all I did was start the program, set the mic and go from there. It took me about an hour to do my recording. It sounds much better than the old cassette ones I made. I also like how I could cut out screw-ups and cut and paste it until it sounded good. Perhaps I'll try with my guitar sometime. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edit: I experienced absolutely no lag whatsoever and I had a metronome going on the program so my stuff was actually in time. I didn't want my regular metronome running because it could have been picked up by the mic.
            Last edited by Ben...; 10-05-2008, 09:05 PM.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

I use a program called Mixcraft on the PC. It's not free but I believe it does let you demo it free for 30 days. It is sort of a PC equivalent of garage band.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Does Audacity do multi-tracks? I'm looking for essentially a free basic version of Acid.
                Scott

Comment

It does as many tracks as your computer can handle

Comment

My favorite is REAPER, but it has a steep learning curve. It blows Audacity away though in ability. If you just want to track something, nothing is wrong with Audacity, but for any kind of mixing or mastering, use REAPER. It also has some nice features that make recording easier, but they can be troublesome if you don't know how they work.

Comment

im using kristal now becauase vista doesnt like audacity , its a good program with a better mixing desk than audacity.

only downside is you cannont import or export mp3s
                      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                      X