No announcement yet.

Motorcycle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, if it was sold "as-is" with no warranty expressed, then that's how it should go down now that he damaged it. The worst he can do is bring you to small claims.

I've had a couple bikes that blew a head gasket, but that didn't involve replacing valves or rods. If he pushes the issue and you're willing to consider helping out, you could have an unbiased mechanic give you both an estimate and probable scenario that caused the damage.
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Well, well, well......I see all these replies and wonder what would have happened if you were the one buying the bike and the same thing happened to you. They would probably go like this: ( Plase keep in mind John, I believe you sold a problem free bike, I just like to laugh at how people jump on the wagon ) " The guy knew it was bad...thats why he sold it so cheap!! Demand a refund or repair on his dime!!!" or " You got hosed, I would beat his ass and get my money back!!" or my favorite " SUE!! SUE!!! SUE!!!"

I dunno John, its hard to say, could have been just ill-fated timing... could have over-reved it....could have missed a shift... could have been a legit problem that just now petered out.

I would ask a certified motorcycle tech what the typical causes are( i.e. headgasket sucked in versus blown out ). Then again, if it just needs a head gasket and he is covering the work, I would go to the store and buy them myself. Don't just put cash in is hands.-Lou
      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

bad luck for the buyer or not...

as is = as is...

Any small claims court will agree...

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
          Well, well, well......I see all these replies and wonder what would have happened if you were the one buying the bike and the same thing happened to you. They would probably go like this: ( Plase keep in mind John, I believe you sold a problem free bike, I just like to laugh at how people jump on the wagon ) " The guy knew it was bad...thats why he sold it so cheap!! Demand a refund or repair on his dime!!!" or " You got hosed, I would beat his ass and get my money back!!" or my favorite " SUE!! SUE!!! SUE!!!"
          Nope, once you over rev, all bets are off. This guy must of done something stupid or doesn't know how to shift though, as I can't believe one would break something.

Comment

I've been thinking about this, and the bottom line is, you did not give him any kind of warranty, nor did you have any knowledge that anything was wrong with the bike. Legally, you don't have to do a thing. Morally, well lets say that it was just a freakish breakdown that by some weird coincidence happened right when some guy bought the bike off you. Sounds a bit far fetched, but IS remotely possible. So let's say that happened. It's not technically your problem anymore. He could have taken the bike to a mechanic to have it checked out before he bought it. Maybe they would have found something, maybe not. Anyway, as I was saying, morally, if you feel you owe him something, offer to split the cost of the parts with him. I wouldn't do anything more than that. Actually, I'd be a real prick and tell him to walk.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Well, he picked the bike up on Tuesday night. He called me when it broke down, he called me again when his dad was on the way to pick him up.
              I haven't heard from him since. He didn't call or email at all yesterday.
              I did offer to pay for gaskets if it sucked or blew out a gasket. I emailed him yesterday and told him that I spoke to 3 mechanic friends who all know the bike and they all said it most likely was over revved or he missed a shift but it could have just happened. Things like that happen on an old bike. In any case.. they all told me to tell him to pound salt if he was a prick about it. I figured that if he was really pissed and thought he got ripped off I would have heard from him yesterday.... even if he didn't have a chance to check it out or have a mechanic check it out. I know I would.... UNLESS, it was something he did that caused the problem.
              In any case.. I didn't hear from him at all yesterday.
              I even left the bike registered and insured and I let him use my plate to take it home.
              Maybe this will all work out.

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
                Well, well, well......I see all these replies and wonder what would have happened if you were the one buying the bike and the same thing happened to you.
                Well, well, well, seeing a reply and absorbing the info is two different things. So, so, so, I'll be more specific. Like I stated in a previous response, when you buy "used" with no warranty, you take on a pretty substantial risk. If this had happened to me, I would have called John, told him what happened, then asked who he used for service. Then I would make an appointment to have the bike fixed. The End, End, End!

Mr G
                "POOP"

Comment

I've been riding since '78 and never heard of a missed shift trashing an engine. Not to go too far off topic here, but that simply wouldn't happen on a Honda. You could blow a Honda by pushing it past redline for a few miles, sure, but you'd pretty much have to be trying hard to blow the engine; it wouldn't be an accident.

And letting him take your plate was a BIG mistake. I think that is beyond odd, personally. He knew he was going to be driving the bike home, he didn't have a trailer to tow it, he has two of his own bikes already and needs to 'borrow' your plate to take the bike?!? WTF is with that? Why didn't he take one off his other plates with him? It seems pretty suspicious to me right there. I would have sent him home for his own plate, no doubt at all.
                  Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Originally posted by jim777 View Post
                    I've been riding since '78 and never heard of a missed shift trashing an engine.
                    I've owned and ridden two strokes (Bultaco, Kawasaki, Honda, Penton, Husqvarna) and four strokes (Honda) since 1971 and yes, it can happen. Usually, it will happen on a four stroke which normally operate at lower RPMs. If you don't think it will happen, just tune into SPEED on Two Wheel Tuesday and watch the MotoGP Series.
                    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by jim777 View Post
                      I've been riding since '78 and never heard of a missed shift trashing an engine.
                      And letting him take your plate was a BIG mistake.
                      Those older Harley's did not have rev limiters. He easilly could have over revved the engine and caused his own trouble.

I agree on the license plate thing. NEVER let anyone buy a vehicle and transport it with your plate. My dad had such a hassle back in the late 70's or early 80's when he let a guy take a car home with his plates. The guy said he'd destroy them when he got the car home. Months later my father got all kinds of summonses for parking violations. Sure he got it worked out, but the headaches it caused pissed him off to no end.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                        I've owned and ridden two strokes (Bultaco, Kawasaki, Honda, Penton, Husqvarna) and four strokes (Honda) since 1971 and yes, it can happen. Usually, it will happen on a four stroke which normally operate at lower RPMs. If you don't think it will happen, just tune into SPEED on Two Wheel Tuesday and watch the MotoGP Series.
                        The engines used by the MotoGP guys aren't really operating at lower RPMs though! Don't some of them push 20,000?

Comment

Yes, they are water-cooled race engines that do turn high RPMs. They still blow up.
                          "POOP"

Comment

I just read this to my dad on the phone..who buys/sells bikes constantly, and experience this kinda crap before..

He said.."Hey..as is..fuggum"..

Head gasket was fine when you had it..
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It is common practice in Texas to leave the plates on a vehicle you buy -in fact, I have only seen dealers issue paper plates.

Never heard of keeping them before and I have bought and sold a dozen or more vehicles. Is that a street bike thing or a state reg?
                              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                                Yes, they are water-cooled race engines that do turn high RPMs. They still blow up.
                                I know - my point was that they blow up more often than normal engines. I've stuck my 125 a few times and it is NOT fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X