Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's new web browser: Chrome

First impressions:
    Installs quickly, Looks pretty, loads webpages very quickly (almost twice the speed of IE and probably 1.5 times speed of firefox). Utilizes most of screen to display webpage info. No cluttered icons, menu bars, etc.
    The address bar is a google search bar. How cool is that? For a moment, I was wondering, where's that google search window that I'm used to using in IE and firefox. On startup, it also shows all your most visited webpages.

Downside:
    Uses up a LOT of memory. Today I had two chorome windows open with probably 4 tabs on the first and three tabs on the other. My laptop was runing at 1.5 GB mem utilization. And then I see, that for each tab, there seems to be a seperate chrome.exe running taking up quite a bit of memory. Firefox is the least mem utilization IMO.

anyone else give it a shot? of course its still in beta and its gonna improve, but right off the bat, its very useable. A thread with lots of pics still loads up very quickly. dial up users might be benefitted if its using up anything other than bandwidth to get the info.
    Sam

I'll have to give it a try. I'm a little ticked at Firefox right now because Foxy Tunes won't work.

Edit: I'm using chrome right now. Good God it's ridiculously fast!
    Last edited by Ben...; 09-12-2008, 10:32 PM.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
      ... And then I see, that for each tab, there seems to be a seperate chrome.exe running taking up quite a bit of memory. Firefox is the least mem utilization IMO.
      That's one of the features of Chrome versus the current browsers, it runs each tab as a separate process instead of a separate thread, thus making it more stable and preventing it from killing the whole browser and all your other tabs if one page has a problem.

If you right click on the title bar at the top you'll notice that Chrome has its own "Task Manager" too. Pretty neat.

-Steve
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Things I've immediately noticed:
        -The scrolling is approximately double speed of Firefox(not good)
        -You can't click the wheely thing on your mouse and scroll up and down with that (huge negative for me)
        -Redonculously fast* (HUUUGE positive)
        -*Some pages are slower (Facebook, a couple others)
        -Ads (No Adblock Plus) (Monstrosity of a negative)
        -I can't find a real options menu that I can adjust stuff with yet.
        -Tabs at top are disorienting (I'll get used to it)

I'll have to use it a bit more before I can make final judgment in whether or not I use it as my main browser (so far it's a no.)
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

The buzz around Chrome is that it is designed to be more of a platform for web-based apps rather than just a browser, and is supposed to evolve into a hub for open source cloud computing and somehow compete with Microsoft. How much of that is just hype remains to be seen. Pretty good (and funny) article here that argues it's mostly hype:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/08/dziuba_chrome/

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
            If you right click on the title bar at the top you'll notice that Chrome has its own "Task Manager" too. Pretty neat.

-Steve
            That's exactly what I was looking for in a browser! I opened up the task manager and it told me that one of the tabs (one with a satellite google map) was eating up more mem than the others and I closed it. Very useful. The 'stats for nerds' link at the bottom of the task manager is funny.

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
            -Ads (No Adblock Plus) (Monstrosity of a negative)
            hmm, I get notifications from time to time saying pop-ups are getting blocked. I think its more of an default and not something you can turn on/off. Actually, on pandora when it tried to open a new tab, it said 'pop-up blocked' and I was able to click on it and open that blocked popup. That's good enough IMO.

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
            -I can't find a real options menu that I can adjust stuff with yet.
            At the top right hand corner there is a wrench-looking tab. there you can set everything like font size, etc. is that what you're talking about?
            Sam

Comment

Is this available for Linux?
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

hmm...lot more info here...seems interesting. more than your average browser.

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...tm_campaign=en
                Sam

Comment

I have been using it on and off, but I hate the stupid download bar at the bottom of the window.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I haven't used IE in almost 8 years and not really a Firefox user, but that seems a lot like Safari.
                    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      Is this available for Linux?
                      Not yet, unless something's changed in the last week.

http://www.google.com/chrome

There's a link there with more info too.

-Steve
                      Guitars:
                      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                      Amp:
                      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Have they redone the EULA yet? I believe there was some backtracking done or about to be done by the great big giant G.
                        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

hmm, I get notifications from time to time saying pop-ups are getting blocked. I think its more of an default and not something you can turn on/off. Actually, on pandora when it tried to open a new tab, it said 'pop-up blocked' and I was able to click on it and open that blocked popup. That's good enough IMO.

At the top right hand corner there is a wrench-looking tab. there you can set everything like font size, etc. is that what you're talking about?
                          AdBlock Plus doesn't just block pop-ups. It blocks ALL ads. Banners and stuff like that along with those annoying Google ads for "suggested links". the only ad I've noticed it doesn't block is the Matt's Music Center ad at the top of the page on here. But that's not a bad thing because I like to look on there from time to time.

Oh, and thanks for telling me about the wrench thing. I'll have to explore that a little more thoroughly.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

I've been using it on my laptop since it has a small 1280x800 screen. I like it.

Comment

Working...
                            X