Computer problems ? Any techies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problems ? Any techies?

My computer auto downloaded a Microsoft security upgrade and now the thig won't reboot? It is in DOS mode and just keeps trying to reboot? WTF? Im told that my windows has been coruppted. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

XP or Vista?
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

XP

Comment

Do you have the XP installation CD?
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

when you reboot the system hit the F8 key just after the hardware post and before the Windows XP loading screen. You should get a boot menu. Try booting into safe mode and then doing a clean reboot of the system. If that does not work then go back into safe mode and uninstall the patch via add-remove programs in the control panel.

-Steve
          Guitars:
          Amp:
          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Hit F8 before you see the Windows loading screen pop up and choose "Safe Mode". If you can get in there, go into Add/Remove programs and try to uninstall the update that messed things up. Alternatively, if you have System Restore enabled, you can pick a restore point to go back to.

If nothing works, you'll need an XP CD (any CD will do). Boot to the CD and choose the Repair option. This will revert your OS files back to their originals.
            Scott

Comment

I had that same problem last week; though, it didn't say it was corrupt. It updated and added some kind of Service Pack 3, then when I clicked yes to install, it seemed like it worked, but wouldn't let me boot up. I just went into safe mode, then did a system restore from a day or so before and all is back to normal.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Some companies have a recovery partition that will put your computer back to the way it was when you bought it. All drivers and original software will be installed. Look for it when it reboots. F12 maybe?
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                  when you reboot the system hit the F8 key just after the hardware post and before the Windows XP loading screen. You should get a boot menu. Try booting into safe mode and then doing a clean reboot of the system. If that does not work then go back into safe mode and uninstall the patch via add-remove programs in the control panel.

-Steve

This should work - mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago and this is how I fixed it. Just booting to safe mode was all it took - then the machine functioned normally.

Funny how Microsoft's "Fixes" fuck up your machine!
                  Someone needs to get their head outta their ass there and thoroughly test this shit before it is released.
                  You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                  You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                  --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                  --horns666 - 12/29/08
                  I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                  --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

SP3, although many aren't having issues with it there are many that are.
                    In other words, for what its worth if doing SP3 I'd proceed with caution.
                    I'm still running SP2 without any issue/s.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I had an issue where a friends PC did something similar after SP3 install. I didn't install it personally, so I can not verify how this happened, but, his BIOS boot sequence was incorrect.

I can't imagine how that would have effected the BIOS, but, food for thought maybe.-Lou
                      " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

After you get it fixed, Turn off Auto Update.

I haven't updated past Service pack 2, and if i get critical security updates, i pick thru them, and only download what i feel i need.
                        Otherwise you get everything, even if you don't need it, and
                        can possibly end up getting errors, sluggish system, or hosed like you did.

my 2 c

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                          After you get it fixed, Turn off Auto Update.

I haven't updated past Service pack 2, and if i get critical security updates, i pick thru them, and only download what i feel i need.
                          Otherwise you get everything, even if you don't need it, and
                          can possibly end up getting errors, sluggish system, or hosed like you did.

my 2 c
                          In my experience it's very rare that anyone actually remembers to do the updates manually. I've always done my automatically and never had a problem.

Instead of turning off automatic updates I'd suggest getting an external drive and doing regular monthly backups. There are some good affordable backup software apps out there, I think Norton makes one that gets good reviews and its only like $30 or $40.

-Steve
                          Guitars:
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

Guy's, Thnak's for all the advice! I did the Safe mode/F8 and then system restore back to a week ago. I also had to reload all my virus protection software. All seems fine at this point. Muchos Gracias!!

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                              Guy's, Thnak's for all the advice! I did the Safe mode/F8 and then system restore back to a week ago. I also had to reload all my virus protection software. All seems fine at this point. Muchos Gracias!!
                              Backups FTW!
                              Guitars:
                              Amp:
                              VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                              X