Where to start with Nevermore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start with Nevermore?

I've listened to metal for many years without ever owning or even hearing a Nevermore album. Other than a couple of compilation tracks and videos, I haven't listened to ANY of their stuff. I saw them live a long time ago, and frankly was completely turned off simply due to Warrel Dane's presence, enough so that I paid no attention to most of their set. I wouldn't have given them any further thought, but his guest vocals on the latest Behemoth album were actually pretty cool, and of course there is a lot of hype about Jeff Loomis. I recall reading that one of the fairly recent discs had awful production and had to be remixed/remastered, so I don't want to grab that by accident.

Is there one particular album that would be the best starting off point? I appreciate good guitar playing, but I don't want a complete wankfest either. I know that Nevermore isn't death metal, but what would be best for someone who really likes Darkane, old Soilwork and a bit of Hypocrisy?
    sigpic

Shit...I honestly think you couldn't go wrong starting anywhere BUT...I would go back and progress with them...

Tracks I like in Chronological order...(Off the top of my head)

Starting with politics...

"Seven Tougues of God"

"Next in Line"

Dreaming...

"Beyond Within"

"Poison Godmachine"

Dead Heart...

"Narcosynthesis"

"The River Dragon Has Come" JUST YOUTUBE THIS FUCKER RIGHT NOW lol...I'll make it easy for ya... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majXSmcEgoQ

"Believe in Nothing" Great slower melodic song...Big power chorus...

Enemies of Reality Get the re mixed one...Andy Sneap did it wonders! Title track is awesomeness!

This Godless Endeavor...Just get this disc...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Never got into them. The singer just annoys me for some reason. The guitars are amazing, but again, I can't think of a single riff of theirs that stuck in my head.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I started with their newest album when I first got into them. Then I went backwards and listened to each album in reverse order(Ex: TGE,EoR,DHiaDW etc...). I found It easier to get used to Warrel that way because he was so different from any other vocalist I'd heard at the time. I actually didn't like him at first but his voice kinda grows on you after a while. I'm sure Bill and company have a better idea since they love them some Nevermore, probably more than me. I still prefer bald dudes in capes singing high D6's but that's not new. Nevermore's some quality stuff though...
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
          Never got into them. The singer just annoys me for some reason. The guitars are amazing, but again, I can't think of a single riff of theirs that stuck in my head.
          That little thing from Born at the chorus where Jeff does his little melodic thingy gets stuck in my head everyday whether I want it to be or not. I guess that's not really a riff though...
          "Dear Dr. Bill,
          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

well if you're gonna play nevermore then you must go to the beginning.....sanctuary.

Comment

BUY Warrel Dane's "praises to the war machine"..that should change your mind about Warrel!! Peter Witchers (soilwork) IS the guitarist/co-writer on that cd..Jeff Loomis and James Murphy have guest sposts.

Start with NM's This Godless Endeavour" Then jump back to Dead heart in a dead world!! Start there!!

I've been hooked on NM since '96. They changed everything for me in c/w with music. Jeff is the best metal guitarist/writer in extistence IMO! Warrel is the best lyricist/writer in existence..IMO!

From '78 to '90 it was all about Van Halen. From '96 till present...its ALL Nevermore!

I gave Jeff my crappy demo..he obviously liked my "Father Felon' riff. That's equal to Eddie Van Halen diggin' an idea on mine..too fuggin' cool!

I brought Jeff and NM to this board upon my arrival here...fuggums!

BTW ..it was a 16 year old Jeff that gave Megadeth ..Marty Friedman! Jeff would have gotten that gig if he wasn't too young.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                well if you're gonna play nevermore then you must go to the beginning.....sanctuary.
                +1. But good luck finding the Refuge Denied and Into The Mirror Black CDs now.
                Battle Angels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoe8a-jAV9o

Future Tense http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1nPK...eature=related

Everything Nevermore has done is great, but I'd start at the beginning and work your way up...
                Nevermore
                In Memory EP
                The Politics of Ecstacy
                Dreaming Neon Black
                Dead Heart in a Dead World
                Enemies of Reality
                This Godless Endeavor
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                  I LOVE that stuff...but NO!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Thanks Joe..that's the order.

Here's Jeff's Myspace..http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=31641186

Here's an old pic of Jeff and I (2002) My beard was a baby then, and I'm not wearing my cape..NM's pentagram was upsidedown. They fixed it since then..

We are very happy here!!
                    Last edited by horns666; 08-28-2008, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Cool! Every Nevermore album is great, but I seem to be partial to Dreaming Neon Black. I've actually got a copy of that in my car... the speakers go nuts on that one. That album is so dark and bass heavy, it's like seeing them live!!

Warrel's solo album is great, too.

Comment

Joe..Tim Calvert (forbidden) is on that one. I just talked with him..he still has my badge!

He's been talking with Jeff and Neil Kernon..so maybe he's back in the saddle.

Comment

That'd be awesome to see Tim with them again!

Comment

I've got Dead Heart in the car right now.

But want I really want to know is, where's the DVD???
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

I heard the DVD is in the works, but no clue when it will finally be out.

Comment

Working...
                              X