Arranger Keyboard: recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arranger Keyboard: recommendations?

I am looking for a keyboard to play drums & bass while I play guitar. I want it to be able to do the one-man band thing, and I would also like to be able to use it to write & record original songs.

From what I've read, I think I need an "arranger" or a "workstation." It looks like an arranger is more focused on providing "styles" (backing band accompaniment generated by the keyboard), while a workstation is more focused on playing and deconstructing MIDI files - though there appears to be a lot of cross-over, and there are many synths that are advertised to do all of this.

So . . . I'm confused. Which one do I get? I will probably buy used, and I'd like to spend $1000 or less. So far I'm thinking:

Roland EXR7S
    Roland EXR46OR
    Roland Juno-G
    Alesis Fusion 6HD

I haven't waded through the Korg and Yamaha models yet, but those are next.

If anyone has experience with these and can recommend something, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

You'd definitely want a Workstation, unless "Arranger" is simply a new buzzword that means the same as "Workstation" (you know, so they can try to make it sound less like "work").

The cheap Casio stuff at WalMart has the built-in rhythm stuff, but AFAIK you can't edit any of the arrangements, except to maybe string existing patterns together.

With a Workstation, you can write your own patterns as well as rearrange the existing ones.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
    X